Topic Title: Radeon HD 7870, Dual Screen Setup
Topic Summary: Am I missing something, or is the card defective...?
Created On: 03/09/2013 05:28 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/09/2013 05:28 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
X3N0Wolf
Peon

Hi all.  I've just bought a new pre-built rig with a Radeom HD 7870 card.  It's all running fine, except I can't get my second monitor to function.  I know the DVI-to-VGA adapter, cable and monitor are all fine, as it functions perfectly when connected to the primary/upper DVI output.  But neither of my two monitors are displaying anything when connected to the secondary/lower DVI output.  The system isn't detecting anything attached.

I've got the latest drivers.  This is my first Radeon card, so forgive me if I'm missing something obvious.  Basically I have some simple questions that I can't seem to find answers for in the official blurbs...

I have an AMD VISION Engine Control Centre available when I right-click on the desktop.  This is the only AMD/Radeon control panel I seem to have.  Is this the same as the Catalyst control panel I'm reading about?  Should I be able to manage all the relevant graphics card features from this control panel?

I'm assuming that one would just plug a second monitor in to the second DVI output, and it would work (that was the way on Nvidia cards).  Do I need to do something to activate the second output, or is the card damaged?

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks!

03/09/2013 07:27 AM

Author Icon
Viperke
Peon

Same problem here. apparently you can't have 2 VGA monitors (which are analog) on these cards because only one DVI (the upper one, DVI-I) has VGA support. the other does not (DVI-D, only digital).

i'm trying to solve it by re-installing my old radeon to run the second monitor, which is proving difficult.

-------------------------
Asus p5q3 Deluxe / Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU    Q9550  @ 2.83GHz, 3399 MHz, 4
 03/09/2013 08:01 AM

Author Icon
X3N0Wolf
Peon

So it's a known technical issue then, rather than a duff card.  Hrm.  Well I suppose finding a workaround is slightly less hassle than sending the whole rig back.  I don't have another Radeon to use though, so I'll have to be creative...  many thanks for the info!

Just wondering...  I have inbuilt graphics on the mainboard, could they be activated and used?  I only want the second monitor for displaying my web browser and Winamp, it doesn't need gaming-level power behind it...

03/09/2013 09:02 AM

Author Icon
Viperke
Peon

look on my topic for solutions

here

I heard the onboard graphics won't work...

don't know if it's true

Asus p5q3 Deluxe / Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU    Q9550  @ 2.83GHz, 3399 MHz, 4
 03/09/2013 01:23 PM

Author Icon
X3N0Wolf
Peon

Aye, my machine came with tape over the onboard graphics ports, it looks like the mainboard doesn't have Win8 drivers, at least not yet.

03/09/2013 07:41 PM

Author Icon
goodplay
Cookie Monster

@X3N0Wolf - See - How-To & FAQ section of forum(you should find answers to most of your queries).Also the "help" in VECC.If no luck there,see **STICKY** Please read .........,& supply that info.

i5 3570k(@4.5)./ga-z77x-ud5h-wb./hyper T4./2 x 4gb vengeance 1600 c8./sapphire dualX 7970 3gb OC boost v2./1tb WD FAEX Black./lg bh10 blu-ray r.w../corsair hx850./antec df30./z506 spkrs./lg e2240v./win 8(8.1) pro x64 

Statistics
86433 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 4 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.