Topic Title: HD Radeon 6770 wit highest temperature
Topic Summary: temperature 55ºC - 65ºC and wen i play 100ºC
Created On: 03/15/2013 03:35 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/15/2013 03:35 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
haryell
Peon

I have a HD 6770 radeon, and wen i was playing darksiders my computer just shut down, then i installed de gadget to see the temperature of the HD 6770, and for my surprise the graphic card is going to 100ºC wen i start to play. The problen is not the air circulation.

03/15/2013 03:54 PM

Author Icon
plumgallmann
Peon

Hi there, I was just wandering if 80c was to high for my graphic card. ... Forum; Amd radeon hd 6770 m overheating psu 250 watts - Forum; I'm ... What type of system is it in now and what is the ambient temp. of the room?

03/15/2013 04:26 PM

Author Icon
haryell
Peon

Phenon II X6 black edition, 8GB RAM, HD 6770 Radeon and a Font OCZ 600W.

ambiente temperature is 28ºC

03/15/2013 06:00 PM

Author Icon
zipsi
Elite

@plumgallmann you could REALLY use a better PSU, 250w one is really, REALLY bad. 

@haryell ambient temps are 28ºC and under load they reach 100ºC? Are you overclocking?

-------------------------
Intel I7 3770K @ 4.5ghz, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Gigabyte HD7970 ghz edition, 4x4gb Kingston HyperX Beast 2133mhz, Seasonic Platinum 860, Samsung 840 Pro 256gb, OCZ Vertex 4 128gb, WD Black 1TB, WD Green 3TB+1.5TB, ASUS Xonar Essence ST, ASUS VE278Q, Windows 3.11
 03/15/2013 06:10 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Forum Moderator

I'm thinkin that's either a seriously clogged and dirty heatsink, or the heatsink isn't seated properly.  If those temperatures are accurate, then it sounds like the heatsink on that card isn't really acting much like a heatsink at all.

I guess he could mean the temperature of the room is 28C.... but still... a 50C swing between idle and load is still a bit extreme...

Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
Troll Hunter

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

03/15/2013 06:36 PM

Author Icon
haryell
Peon

I thought that could be the source, because the computer of my girlfriend had the same problem a while ago, she sent for technical support and they said that was the source, and simply solved it exchanged, but also thought it might be low circulation of air in the cabinet, I bought more and put a fan in the cabinet, nothing resolved. I'm trying cheaper possibility, because if the source, I will not have money to buy a new one until next month = /.
If the sink that is not stuck in the plate, which folder should I buy to fix the sink?

03/15/2013 06:50 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Forum Moderator

I have no idea what most of that means, but the first thing you can do is to open the machine and check for dust in the heatsink on your video card.  If dust is the problem it should be obvious, because there will probably be a lot of it.

Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
Troll Hunter

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

Edited: 03/15/2013 at 06:56 PM by Mime
 03/15/2013 07:17 PM

Author Icon
haryell
Peon

i have do that yesterday. Have no dust =x

03/15/2013 07:59 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Forum Moderator

No dust is good... but that means you'll have to look elsewhere for the problem.  I figure the heatsink is not seated properly, or maybe its fan died altogether.  Either way... time to remove the heatsink from the video card and mess with it.

Troll Hunter

03/15/2013 08:08 PM

Author Icon
haryell
Peon

i have chek and the fan of the card is good.
bot if i remove the heatsink, how i put that in the place late?

03/15/2013 08:21 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Forum Moderator

Usually the heatsinks are held on with tiny screws, and/or little spring loaded pegs.  The screws can be unscrewed, and the ends of the pegs can be squeezed together and pushed back through the circuit board.  From there, you just put the screws and/or pegs back where they came from after you're done tinkering with the video card.

Once you're sure that the heatsink has good contact with the card you can check temperatures by touch also.  If the chip on your card really is reaching 100C, then your heatsink should feel very hot to the touch.

If after all that you've still got problems, then you might want to replace the heatsink altogether, or this may be a more complicated problem involving more than just overheating.

Troll Hunter

03/15/2013 09:48 PM

Author Icon
haryell
Peon

I think I may be poor contact with the heatsink, for now this scoring 57 º C, but when I put my hand in the sink, do not feel such a high temperature.
After relaizar procedures will be posting the results here again.
Thank you for your attention.
Ah, I heard about a thermal paste that sticks to the heatsink to the card, so there?

03/15/2013 10:01 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Forum Moderator

Yeah, there's usually some kind of goo inbetween the chip and the heatsink.  The purpose of it is to fill up any tiny pockets of air in order for better heat transfer.  Some kinds of goo is better than others, and having it in there is certainly better than having none, but I wouldn't expect a huge difference from that alone.

Troll Hunter

Statistics
86517 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.