Topic Title: Tearing problem on one of my screens
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/19/2013 03:49 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/19/2013 03:49 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
casyno
Peon

Hey guys, i got a very annoying problem, that occured with all catalyst drivers yet, except with version 12.8.

I got my pc screen connected with a DVI cable and my flatscreen lcd tv with a HDMI cable. And if i watch a movie or play games with fast moving images, there always appears a horizontal tearing line in the lower 1/4 of the screen as a thin line from left to the right across the whole screen. If i set my pc screen as the main monitor its on the tv, if i set the tv as the main monitor its on the pc screen.

I dont use them as 1 big screen together, i just duplicate the desktop so both screens show the same.

The problem disappeared when i updated my catalyst drivers to version 12.8, which is, till now, the only driver that ever got rid of this effect.
Sadly i had to update the drivers to 13.1 now, cuz in league of legends i had some other graphical issues and updating from 12.8 to 13.1 solved those. But now that horizontal line on my tv is back.

Anyone got an idea how i could get rid of that thing?

thanks in advance and sorry for my bad english, greetings from germany

System: Windows 7 64Bit
CPU: Intel Core i5-3450 Box, LGA1155
GPU: MSI R7950 Twin Frozr 3GD5 V2/OC, 3072MB DDR5, PCI-Express
RAM: 8GB-Kit G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9
Mainboard: Gigabyte H77-D3H, Intel H77, ATX
HDD: Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000.D 1TB SATA 6GB's
Monitor: Acer S242HLCbid
TV: LG LCD TV

03/22/2013 08:59 PM

Author Icon
davidgolani11
Peon

You might try enabling Vsync in your driver settings.  Some games also have a vsync option you set within the game video options.

03/22/2013 09:30 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Forum Moderator

Your English is better than that of some people I talk to in person on a daily basis. 

It sounds like your displays are slightly out of sync.  Turning on vsync can't hurt if you haven't already.  However, the video card can sync its frame buffer only with the primary monitor.  That's probably why the tearing appears only on the secondary display.

Sometimes the built-in scalers in either the monitor or TV(or both) can be problematic also.  Two different scalers trying to adjust frames in possibly two different ways can introduce problems, so that might be something to look into also.

I guess you could also just use a separate card for the second display as a kludge-ish last resort.  Two different cards on two different displays means each one gets its own frame buffer.

-------------------------

Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
Troll Hunter

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

Edited: 03/22/2013 at 09:37 PM by Mime
Statistics
81022 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.