Topic Title: What are your thoughts on more dual GPU/single card Radeon models?
Topic Summary: Zeus slayer of the Titans: The case for a 7870 X2 or 7950 X2 video card
Created On: 03/19/2013 06:29 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/19/2013 06:29 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
tedhead
Peon

Dear Radeon fans,

I have spent some time considering the current AMD Radeon products and wanted to pass on my thoughts and observations to you as well as welcome your feedback:

• Generally, the 7970's price/performance ratio tops out at around $450.

• There are only two AMD Radeon video card products in between $480 and $899 while the Nvidia Geforce brand has 24.

• The creation of a single card/dual GPU Radeon cards could fit within the above mentioned price gap while also offering commensurate performance, too.

Generally, 7970's price/performance tops out at around $450. Above $450 there are no distinct, higher performance single cards.

Below is a link of a search of all Radeon products in price range from 480.00 through 899.00 on newegg.com:

Note:  The previously mentioned two items are 7970's that vary from the standard configuration; one includes 6 outputs and the other has 6 GB's of RAM). On the other end there is Powercolor's custom 7990 at $899.99.

Thus, There is a gap larger than $400 in the AMD Radeon graphics product lines where there is no presence of single card Radeon performance once the 7970's price performance tops out at around $450. On the other end is the dual 7970's at $900. Additional Premium priced, dual GPU models could be well placed in the empty price range.

In contrast the same price range search for Nvidia graphics cards produces around 24 products.

I believe the market for AMD Radeon graphics in this gap that could be filled by the following single card/dual GPU's sku's:

• 7870 X2 (2 Pitcairn cores at 1280x2=2560 cores)

• 7870 X2 (2 Tahiti 'Le' cores at 1536x2=3072 cores)

• 7950 X2 (2 Tahiti cores at 1792x2=3584 cores) 

Any of these would fill a price/performance point that is currently devoid of AMD and at the same time significantly eclipse Nvidia in price as well as performance. Dual GPU Radeons could be priced at a premium and still offer AMD's customers a better price/performance ratio than Nvidia as the unfilled price range is greater than $400. There have been several, previous successful Radeon sku's that were single card/dual GPU's. For instance, I looked back to 2011 at several published benchmarks results of the Powercolor 6870 X2. It makes a very convincing argument that dual GPU cards don't have to reserved for the highest end sku. Two links for previous 6870 X2 benchmarks are at the end.

Lastly, dual GPU cards allow for performance to reach the highest levels when two dual GPU cards are combined with crossfire connectors into exotic quad GPU configurations. 

Either 7870 X2 or 7950 X2 should also be able to deliver a compelling price/performance single card product for consumers looking for more power than a 7970 can deliver within this unaddressed price range. Also, these would analogous to Zeus and the Gods of Olympus:Titan slayers. These cards would be able to overshadow the Geforce Titan and essentially make the card at its price/performance level moot.

In conclusion, some of the AMD Radeon product line should be expanded to include some or all of the above mentioned sku's as dual GPU/single card models. First, they will address a price gap greater than $450 that is not addressed by any other Radeon products. There is room for dual GPU card in addition to a dual 7970 GPU sku. In addition, these products are able to increase performance beyond what is available by single 7970's. More so, these dual GPU products allow AMD to eclipse much of Nvidia premium performance models like the Geforce Titan. AMD dual GPU Radeons can be priced at a premium with the possiblity of affordable quad GPU exotic configurations. The results is AMD strengthens its Radeon brand while offering consumers an additional reason to choose AMD in this open price range.

Thank you for considering my ideas and input in the section of the computer industry I consider most interesting above all else.

Any feedback is welcome!

03/19/2013 06:37 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
tedhead
Peon

sorry the formatting is so widely spaced.

i was unable to find a link to re-edit it...

Statistics
85510 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.