Topic Title: Dvi port suddenly stopped working on Sapphire HD6970
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/22/2013 11:45 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/22/2013 11:45 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Smurfboy
Peon

Hi, i recently got hold of an acer 24 inch monitor, model AL2416w. I also have a LG W2243S.The lg was originally setup as my main screen and i had a 19inch monitor as an extended desktop. So, i removed my 19inch monitor, plugged my LG into that port, and the acer into what was the LG's port. So in effect ive now got the acer as my main desktop and the LG as my extended.But no. For some reason the LG is now not being detected in windows. All the cables and connectors work in one dvi port when i tested them, so its not a cable issue.Im now wondering if my second DVI port on my card has died. I got the card via Overclockers back in July 2011. Will the card still be in warranty???Hope someone can helpSmurf
 03/22/2013 04:58 PM

Author Icon
Smurfboy
Peon

Ok, Been testing other bits, my second dvi port is working, but only seems to give a signal out to a dvi enabled monitor, i.e one with a dvi socket on it. But the monitor also has a d-sub socket. Weirdly it wont work like this with the aid of an adapter. Yet the other dvi port on the card is.?????i'm very confused how the two dvi ports on the card can be different.Any ideas??Smurf
 03/22/2013 05:12 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Forum Moderator

Could be that one is a DVI-I port and one is DVI-D.  A passive adapter that converts digital to analog won't work with a DVI-D port since it's digital only.

You can set which display you want as the primary within windows.  It's not determined by what display you have on what port.  I'd just switch it back and see if everything works out.

-------------------------

Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
Troll Hunter

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

03/22/2013 05:32 PM

Author Icon
Smurfboy
Peon

I think you've got it there. Re-checked, and its a 6950 not 6970, but thats neither here or there. Have done some more digging and found specs and ues it does have one dvi-i port and one dvi-d port. This is very frustrating.
 03/22/2013 05:40 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Forum Moderator

It probably saves them a few pennies on each card not to make both DVI-I ports, and you can still use an adapter if you really need one, it'll just have to be an active adapter which are often much more expensive.  So yeah... annoying. 

Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
Troll Hunter

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

03/22/2013 05:56 PM

Author Icon
Smurfboy
Peon

Ok, ive found in the box a dvi- d to hdmi adapter. if i get a vga (d-sub) to hdmi male cable do you reckon that would work.
 03/22/2013 06:22 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Forum Moderator

If you can find one that's an active adapter it probably would.  Active adapters that convert DVI to displayport are usually about $20, and that's an easier conversion than VGA to HDMI, so that may end up being more trouble than it's worth.

I'd be tempted to fiddle with cables and your settings within windows to see if there's some way you can get by without it.

Troll Hunter

Statistics
84724 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.