Topic Title: AMD Radeon HD7770 Help
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/25/2013 04:04 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/25/2013 04:04 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Terrorsells
Peon

Graphics Card
AMD Radeon HD 7770
1000 MHz GPU Clock and 1125 MHz Memory Clock during high performance

AMD Catalyst Driver Version, and Driver History
Currently using 13.1, tried the beta 13.3 previously, when the issues started happening.

Operating System
Windows 8 64-Bit

Issue Details
I was troubleshooting overheating errors while playing Tomb Raider. I have HWMonitor and my temperature would reach 107 C (224 F) and my fan speed would be crazy after about 10 minutes of playing, and often the game would crash. I have not experienced these issues in any other games before. (SC2 on ultra, sim city on ultra, Far cry 3 on medium.. etc)

The game was still playable in small doses.. sort of.

I suspected it might be dust collecting in my case so I opened it up and used compressed air to clean everything out, there wasnt much dust anyway (I clean it probably every month or every other month). I took the GPU out and cleaned it up as well, the issue may lie in the fact that I took the case off the GPU, and then put it back on. The thermal paste looked fine but i didnt replace it or anything.. put it back in and booted up my PC fine.

When I attempted to launch Tomb Raider again, the fan immediately kicked in and became very loud, temperatures instantly skyrocketed to 100C + and the game was unplayable. This happens with any game I try now the second I try to do anything, regardless of graphics settings.

Motherboard or System Make & Model
DELL XPS 8500

Power Supply

Looks like 460W. Seems a little low 

Display Device(s) and Connection(s) Used
Using a Samsung S24B300. 1920x1080 hooked up via HDMI and a Second Philips 170S 1280x1024 resolution.. hooked up via VGA

Applications and Games

Every game I try. 

CPU Details
Intel Core i7 3770. 3.4 GHz, 4 cores. No overclocking.

Motherboard BIOS Version
A09

System Memory Type & Amount
Samsung 4GB DDR3 sticks.. 16gb total.

Part Number M378B5273DH0-CK0

Serial Number 87E2BAC7

Additional Hardware

2 case fans. using a 2TB 7200 RPM HD, and a 32GB SSD boot drive. Using a DVD/Blu ray drive.

Additional Details
No viruses or anything, and I havent done any hardware checks but im pretty sure its the GPU. Only happens whenever I start a game and the GPU fan kicks in hard.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, and let me know if any further information might help.

Thank you!

03/25/2013 04:19 PM

Author Icon
Terrorsells
Peon

Hmm as an update, this is very strange, I have changed nothing. I launched tomb raider again, just to see if it would work, and now the fan idles at 20% and the temperature doesnt go above 50C. Framerate is also between 7-10, wont go any higher. GPU Clock is stuck at 300, memory at 149.. hasnt moved.

03/25/2013 04:44 PM

Author Icon
Terrorsells
Peon

Re-installed all the drivers and everything and Im back to the original issue.. :/

03/26/2013 05:10 PM

Author Icon
Necrochain
Peon

Your PSU does seem a little low for the card and CPU you're using. Those are some crazy high temperatures you're getting on that card, and I don't quite understand why either. I have the same model card as yours, but I'm running Sapphire 7770 GHz Ed. OC and my temps are substantially lower than yours, reaching 55-57c maximum under heavy loads (SC2, Bioshock Infinite, BF3). All I can offer you right now is to check your case fan speeds and make sure your airflow is good, otherwise you might just have a defective card.

03/26/2013 05:23 PM

Author Icon
Terrorsells
Peon

Originally posted by: Necrochain Your PSU does seem a little low for the card and CPU you're using. Those are some crazy high temperatures you're getting on that card, and I don't quite understand why either. I have the same model card as yours, but I'm running Sapphire 7770 GHz Ed. OC and my temps are substantially lower than yours, reaching 55-57c maximum under heavy loads (SC2, Bioshock Infinite, BF3). All I can offer you right now is to check your case fan speeds and make sure your airflow is good, otherwise you might just have a defective card.

Thanks for your response!

Yeah.. I've never really had any issues like this before. My PC is still under warranty and they're going to replace the GPU and motherboard so I'm happy. 

03/27/2013 05:51 PM

Author Icon
Necrochain
Peon

Originally posted by: Terrorsells
Originally posted by: Necrochain Your PSU does seem a little low for the card and CPU you're using. Those are some crazy high temperatures you're getting on that card, and I don't quite understand why either. I have the same model card as yours, but I'm running Sapphire 7770 GHz Ed. OC and my temps are substantially lower than yours, reaching 55-57c maximum under heavy loads (SC2, Bioshock Infinite, BF3). All I can offer you right now is to check your case fan speeds and make sure your airflow is good, otherwise you might just have a defective card.

Thanks for your response!

Yeah.. I've never really had any issues like this before. My PC is still under warranty and they're going to replace the GPU and motherboard so I'm happy. 

Lets hope that solves the issue!

03/28/2013 06:46 PM

Author Icon
rqualls
Peon

You said you looked at the thermal paste and it was good. you need to clean and reapply the paste and you will see a big difference. never remove unless you are ready to reapply

-------------------------
Gigabyte MA790FXT-UD5P

AMD 955 Black 3.6GHz (O.C)

G.Skill 16Gig DDR3 1333 Dual ch.F3-10666CL7Q RIPJAWS-X

Asus 7770 2GIG 128Bit DDR5

CORSAIR 850tx 850Watt

Cooler Master HAF932 ATX Case

03/29/2013 12:27 AM

Author Icon
Thanny
Alpha Geek

Can't believe I missed the original post.  The previous response is correct.  You cannot re-use thermal paste.  You must always remove all old paste (alcohol and cotton swabs are the typical tool) when you remove a heat sink, then apply new paste when replacing it.

It is a virtual certainty that your heat problem is caused by you failing to do that.

Statistics
84884 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 4 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.