Topic Title: Windows Media Center crashes when playing recorded HD movies
Topic Summary:
Created On: 04/06/2013 02:33 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/06/2013 02:33 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Sancho
Peon

I'm not sure this is a graphics driver problem, but figured I'd give it a shot on this forum.

I have a Sapphire Radeon HD 5670 in a Win7 64-bit Home Premium box, using a Ceton InfiniTV 4 and a CableCARD from Comcast.  It's a very stable config except for playing back movies recorded from the premium HD channels (HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, The Movie Channel). Invariably, when playing back a recorded HD movie from one of those channels, Windows Media Center crashes.  Sometimes the picture drops out and the desktop is exposed, then WMC comes back and playback resumes for a while.  Ultimately though, WMC crashes completely (often at the frist sign of trouble).  Forcing WMC closed using the WMC remote, restarting and trying to watch live TV usually results in a "video playback" error (sorry, don't have the specific error) which seems to be related to the driver.

I can watch any other HD recording (e.g., 5+ hours of recorded sports) without issue.  Even other HD movies from TCM HD or Encore HD usually play fine, with only minor pixelation.  It certainly could be a delivery problem on Comcast's end, esp. in the higher frequencies those premium HD channels tend to use.

I'm running the latest beta driver (13.3 beta 3) from a clean install (used AMD driver removal tool before every update); problem has been happening since 12.x drivers, if not earlier; no over-clocking.

Other specifics about this PC:

• Sapphire Radeon HD 5670 1GB GDDR 5; passively cooled
  • ASRock P67 Extreme6 (latest BIOS)
  • Intel Core i5 Sandybridge
  • 8 GB of G.Skill RAM
  • 5670 HDMI out to an LG LED 1080p-capable TV
  • Audio via M-Audio Delta 192 (S/P-DIF to Kenwood AVR)
  • Microsoft Security Essentials + all Windows Updates up-to-date

Things I still need to test are watching HD movies live (what a "novel" concept! ;-) will test that tonight... and playing back a known problem movie on the Comcast DVR (recording tonight, testing ASAP).

It's a vexing problem that has me stumped.  I had Comcast out to replace my drop from the pedestal/tap, which corrected signal level problems (they found a bad cable run from the tap, not to mention a splitter that they removed).  All signal levels are fine according to the Ceton).

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

EDIT: I should also note that I've disabled all of the 5670's "Video Quality" settings, except for:

• Deinterlacing (set to Automatic)
  • Pull-Down Detection
  • Enforce Smooth Video Playback (which is AMD's "blackbox" that silently disables settings that the card can't handle; so, seems like a safe thing to enable)
  • Apply settings to Internet video

I also have it set to use the Application's Settings (forget where that is).  Lastly, I habitually disable the HDMI Audio Out device, as it's not needed for my setup.

I have the 5670 set to full HD (1080p 60 Hz), and only change that when streaming movies from HBO's, et al., service, as 1080p 60 Hz produces jerky motion (1080i 30 Hz works well, but requires scaling or zoom on the TV to fill the screen).

So, with those settings, I have no problems with WMC except playing back those pesky HD recordings.

-------------------------

Sapphire Radeon HD 5670 1 GB GDDR 5 Passive; Win7 64 Home Premium

Sapphire Radeon HD 6670 1 GB GDDR 5 Passive; Win7 64 Ultimate

Edited: 04/06/2013 at 03:50 PM by Sancho
 04/06/2013 04:51 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Use software rendering. In IE tools > internet options > advanced. Firefox has the same option tools > options > advanced.

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *AMD R9 290 4gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit 

***** cetera fallunt, ludere mortuus ******

04/06/2013 11:11 PM

Author Icon
Sancho
Peon

Originally posted by: stumped Use software rendering. In IE tools > internet options > advanced. Firefox has the same option tools > options > advanced.

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

Just to update, I tried watching 'Prometheus' on HBO HD in real time. WMC crashed about 25 min. in.  Force closed, restarted, closed and let a couple things record.  Came back to it, tried to watch live TV, got only a blank screen, not even an error message this time.  Had to reboot to make WMC usable again.

All I can think is that Comcast and/or the providers are doing something when encoding the movies that the Radeon HD and/or WMC don't like.

At least streaming the movie worked this time on a second PC with a 6670 (also Sapphire, passively cooled).  Ran fine at 1080p 60 Hz.

04/07/2013 01:26 AM

Author Icon
QB the Slayer
Master Looter

A 1080i30 source is very demanding on the GPU and if you have a passively cooled 5670 I am betting the GPU is over heating and crapping out on you.  I would suggest you monitor your GPU temps while watching these problem clips and report back what the temperatures are before the movie starts getting bad.

QB

The MONSTER HTPC:

CPU: AMD FX-8350.||.Cooler: Corsair H80i
MB: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD7.||.RAM: 8 GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3 2000MHz (7-10-8-27-1T)
Case: CoolerMaster HAF 932.||.PSU: Corsair HX750
GPU:Asus R9 270X DirectCU II TOP.||.Audio: Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro w/ Logitech Z-5300e (5.1, 280W-RMS)
System Drive: 2xSamsung 840 Pro 128GB RAID0.||.Working Drive: 2xMushkin Chronos 60GB RAID0

04/07/2013 12:26 PM

Author Icon
Sancho
Peon

Originally posted by: QB the Slayer A 1080i30 source is very demanding on the GPU and if you have a passively cooled 5670 I am betting the GPU is over heating and crapping out on you.  I would suggest you monitor your GPU temps while watching these problem clips and report back what the temperatures are before the movie starts getting bad.

QB

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but aren't some other HD channels also broadcasting @ 1080i30 (as opposed to those broadcasting 720p; Fox, ESPN, ABC, et al.)?

Using WMC's built-in debug screens (4-1-1 CTRL+D) doesn't give much info about the source, at least not that I can see.  The "Presentation" info always shows 1920x1080 for Native & Display Size, and a varying framerate (29.97 or 59.9401).

So, are HD movies from HBO, et al., really that much more demanding than other HD channels?

see this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-definition_television_in_the_United_States

So I'm still wondering why I can watch HD channels (pretty much all I watch) for hours on end without a problem... except the HD movie channels.

Edited: 04/07/2013 at 12:39 PM by Sancho
Statistics
88973 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.