Topic Title: XFX HD 6870 screen splitting
Topic Summary:
Created On: 04/15/2013 07:53 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/15/2013 07:53 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
KefkaticFanatic
Peon

Hey guys,

So for the past near half year I've been dealing with a nasty graphics issue. When put under any sort of load, from a taxing game like Sleeping Dogs or Battlefield 3, or even the fullscreen Windows 8 Netflix app, seemingly at a random time my graphics will freak out and "split", basically transforming over to the side and flipping to the other side of the monitor. I have attached a photo of the issue as a screencap comes up normal.

http://i.imgur.com/Mnz3Kdh.jpg

So I did all the standard troubleshooting such as driver sweeping and reinstalling graphics drivers, reinstalling windows (both 7 and 8), and even went as far as to RMA both my GPU and PSU as I thought they might have issues. However, the problem has stayed through all of that. I confirmed that another card in the same motherboard slot works just fine, and the card appeared to work perfectly for the multiples months I had it before problems started appearing in 12/2012.

Here are my specs:

Mobo: ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z

CPU: Intel i7 2600K

RAM: 2x4GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1600

PSU: Antec BP-550

GPU: XFX HD 6870 1GB

Current driver: Catalyst 13.1

I have suspected that it might be a driver problem, but downgrading to 12.10 from 13.1 didn't seem to help either.

I had some success previously in getting past the issue by using devcon to restart the graphics driver, but sometimes I am forced to restart the computer. This leads me to believe it is a driver issue, but I'm still stumped on a solution..

I tried updating drivers to 13.3 beta, I haven't a split crash yet but I immediately noticed artifacting and "fuzzy" lines just on the title screen of Sleeping Dogs...

Should note that the card is running 100% at stock, no over/underclocking or custom fan settings whatsoever. I guess I might try underclocking to see if it helps? But I wouldn't think that with two different cards having the same issue underclocking would help at all...

Statistics
84733 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.