Topic Title: 7970 issue
Topic Summary: Drivers? Unstable overclock? vBIOS? Faulty Card?
Created On: 04/18/2013 02:06 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/18/2013 02:06 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
-rascal-
Farming Materials

I finally retired my two HD 5850's and jumped onto the HD 7000 series bandwagon .

I bought myself a Sapphire Radeon HD Dual-X 7970. It's the non-Boost, non factory overclocked version. It uses a custom blue PCB (non-reference board). It goes by the model / revsion number 11197-11-40G.

From what I've found out, this card has a lower stock voltage than most; it uses 1.075V versus the more commong 1.175V or 1.2V. GPU-Z indicates my particular chip has a ASIC Quality of 75% (still kinda gimmick IMO).

I am having trouble running the card much past stock (yes I am overclocking it). It has no problems running at stock 925 / 1375 speeds.

With the overclock, the drivers seems to constantly crash and recover..over and over again while in-game, as a result, black screen. I will also run into a DirectX Error in BF3. To be more clear

"DirectX Error

DirectX functions "GetDeviceRemovedReason" failed with DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG: Device hung due to badly formed commands...

"

From what I've seem to have discovered the card requires more than the stock 1.075V to run beyond 1000MHz core. The problem seems to be cuased by the voltage resetting back to the stock value even though I set it in the overclocking software.

I know the voltage for my card is not locked; GPU-Z, AIDA64, and HWMonitor detects the voltage if I change it in the software.

The logs from MSi Afterburner and Sapphire TriXX shows that the voltage resets...which makes me assume causes the overclock to become unstable...and the driver "dies."

I've disables ULPS in registry and in TriXX, I've disabled PowerPlay in MSi Afterburner, Enabled unofficial overclocking in Afterburner, and Force constant voltage in both MSi Afterburner and TriXX. Non of this seems to fix the issue.

I've even tried the 13.3 Beta driver from AMD (the notes say it resolves hanging issues). I've also used the non-beta 13.1 drivers. I've installed the latest CAP (12.10?) from the driver page.

I wouldn't have both Afterburner and TriXX running at the same time (duh), but some say that even though they are not running, they can interfer with each other. So, I had only one of each installed at a time - no help.

I had Graphics OverDrive enabled; maybe that was causing issues so I disabled it - again, no help.

I know the drivers are constantly crashing and recovering...because it says in the Event Viewer Logs AND if I Alt-Tab out (if the PC doens't fully lock up) I can see the driver crash icon in the bottom-right Icon Tray.

" Display Driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered...Event ID 5101."

Examining the GPU-Z and MSi Afterburner logs (if exiting the game is sucessful or rebooting my PC), the Core & Memory (overclocked) frequencies were very consistent. I had the voltage...say set to 1.186V, during in-game the voltage would vary from 1.15V to 1.18V (1.174V, 1.162V, 1.158V, etc). I understnad voltage droop plays a role so...

Near the end of the log, the Core & memory remains at the set overclocked value (i.e. 1150 / 1385) BUT the voltage has dropped down to ~1.049V for a few seconds.

Shortly after, the speeds drop down 500MHz Core and 150MHz Memory (2D clocks?).

The card then increases its clocks back up to 1150 / 1385 BUT the voltage remains down at ~1.049V!

I believe where the voltage drops down to 1.049V and the card's frequencies dips and what-not is where the drivers crash, DirectX Hang issues, and everything goes to hell...

I might just flash another card's BIOS that runs at stock 1.175V / 1.2V and see if that helps )since my card does have the Dual BIOS and BIOS switch).

EDIT: System specs is in the sig...but I should update that (did a few upgrades to it). Done!

-------------------------

FX-8350 @ 4.8GHz // ASUS Crosshair V Formula 990FX // Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Dual-X HD 7970 // Thermaltake Frio w/ push-pull (using Antec Formula 7 Nano-Diamond + Cooler Master JetFlo fans) // 8GB (2 X 4GB) G.Skill RipJawsX 2133MHz  // Corsair TX850 850W // Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD (OS) // Kingston V200+ 120GB SSD // WD Caviar Black 1TB // Windows 7 Ult x64

Edited: 04/18/2013 at 02:29 AM by -rascal-
 04/19/2013 03:02 AM

Author Icon
eddietheparot
Peon

Your situation sounds really familiar to mine: http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=440&threadid=165327&enterthread=y

I've tried so many driver versions, done several re-installs but nothing seems to be working. I contacted my card manufacturer, and they are working with me to get this solved... but so far the only advice was to dissable 2d clock speeds. This worked for about 3 days and now it's starting to bug up again. I've recently dissabled ULPS in hopes that it helps.

I can double your findings though, becasue I noticed in MSI afterburner the clock speeds would dip for a sec, and then go back to full clock speed, and thats when the hang error would occur.

Hopefully someone knows whats going on and we can get an answer!

04/19/2013 03:24 AM

Author Icon
stargaz3rr
Grinding Levels

Have you guys try the 2nd BIOS, in my case my Core clock and memory clock will throtle between stock and overclock.

Then one of the member here suggest i should try BIOS "2". Turned out BIOS "2" worked, no more throtling and the BIOS "2" also increase the stock voltage from 1.094 to 1.164 but in my case it's irrelevant since it's voltage unlocked.

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H, Intel i5 3570k 2x4 GB Kingston, Sapphire HD 7950 Vapor-XSeasonic M12II 850W, Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Seagate 500GB, Seagate 2TB

04/19/2013 08:43 PM

Author Icon
-rascal-
Farming Materials

The card is currently on BIOS 2, and I am still getting the issue. From what I can see, for my particular card, BIOS 1 and BIOS are are exactly the same. Just like any HD 6900 and 7900 series card, one BIOS is the fail-safe BIOS, and the other is volatile (user prgrammable).@eddietheparot Thank you. I'll look into the thread and see if it heps with my issue. I've asked around other forums and some people are experiencing this issue as well...maybe driver related?

FX-8350 @ 4.8GHz // ASUS Crosshair V Formula 990FX // Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Dual-X HD 7970 // Thermaltake Frio w/ push-pull (using Antec Formula 7 Nano-Diamond + Cooler Master JetFlo fans) // 8GB (2 X 4GB) G.Skill RipJawsX 2133MHz  // Corsair TX850 850W // Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD (OS) // Kingston V200+ 120GB SSD // WD Caviar Black 1TB // Windows 7 Ult x64

04/19/2013 09:08 PM

Author Icon
Mkissner
Farming Materials

Well, rascal, welcome to my world..

All the problems involving the voltage that you described happened (and still does) to me.. The diferences: I do can OC my card..

In my case, even some strange thing happens: GPU-Z, Trixx or MSI AB shows me diferent voltages readings.. I explain a bit in other posts, but the main thing is I don't know which one is the truth..

Wanna know a stranger thing?.. My actual OC doesn't involve any voltage tweak from me. I mean, I only set +20 on the power thing, type 1100/1500, and apply.. All benchmarks (Heavens -all of them-, Furmark, BF3, GPU-Z, or any other) shows my OC speeds "without any voltage tweak".. But, the reads on VDDC puts the voltage up to 1240mV, when needed.. How it does that??.. Don't ask me..

At the instant that I touch the voltage slider, everything goes to hell..

I made a ticket support for Sapphire asking about those different voltages readings, and they told me that switch position 1 sets the core speed to 825Mhz (factory) and position 2 up to 925Mhz (my card is a Sapphire Boost Edition)..

After all this story, I just don't simply get it.. Not from any angle, not from any readings, not from any planet alignment, not from any godess.. I'm sick of it..

I've tried both switch positions with no luck to have real control and readings of my voltage. I've tried several softwares to try to understand what happens, and no luck.. In some other forum I've readed that having CCC Overdrive enabled tends to mess with both Trixx and MSI AB, so you should check on that..

But, seems to be that both GPU-Z and OverDrive have the same value for my GPU voltage: 0.95mV.. So, I'm guessing that Trixx and AB are mistaken..

Anyways, anything I'll discover, I'll let you know..

Best regards...

EDIT: BTW, I run both AB and Trixx at the same time.. AB for on-screen display, Trixx to OC...

8320 @ 4,7 / 990FXA UD5 / CF-X 7970 + 7950 / Switch 810 / H110 p-p / 16 GB RAM / 23" 5760x1080 / SSD 64GB RAID0 / HX750 / SB Recon3D Fatal1ty Champion / z506

04/19/2013 10:13 PM

Author Icon
stargaz3rr
Grinding Levels

Based from this article the jump to 1.240mv is caused by the boost feature amd put on a new 7950 card, it automatically jump the voltage when in boost mode.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6152/amd-announces-new-radeon-hd-7950-with-boost

at least your card does what it meant to do, mine never jump to 1.24 when in boost, so it's like overclocking normal card.

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H, Intel i5 3570k 2x4 GB Kingston, Sapphire HD 7950 Vapor-XSeasonic M12II 850W, Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Seagate 500GB, Seagate 2TB

04/20/2013 12:09 AM

Author Icon
Mkissner
Farming Materials

Yes, but the point is I can't do with my card whatever I wanna do..

It means then that the voltage is locked, despite I can increase the slider in all the softwares up to 1300mV with no result???..

Besides, like Rascall, I tested both switch positions, and both shows 925Mhz as a core speed at default and idle, which isn't supposed to happens if one of them (or both) contains a profile for "boosting" the card, so..

Anyways.. I'll keep searching the net to find a way to solve this.. I've been reading of some vBios to flash, but I'm not really confident about it.. I don't know if it realeses the power of my card or not..

But, as you said, at least I can OC a bit... Yet...

Best regards...

8320 @ 4,7 / 990FXA UD5 / CF-X 7970 + 7950 / Switch 810 / H110 p-p / 16 GB RAM / 23" 5760x1080 / SSD 64GB RAID0 / HX750 / SB Recon3D Fatal1ty Champion / z506

04/24/2013 12:26 AM

Author Icon
-rascal-
Farming Materials

Thanks for the info Mkissner.After a bit of experiementing and searching, this problem seems to be common.From what I can see, I have concluded that it is a software-related issue, and there is nothing wrong with the card physically (thank god).Driver or BIOS related? I'm not sure, but I am quite determined it is one.I'll flash another BIOS onto the card and experiement with that...and see if AMD's new upcoming driver resolves this.

Statistics
89061 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.