Topic Title: GPU temp question
Topic Summary:
Created On: 04/30/2013 11:35 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/30/2013 11:35 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
stargaz3rr
Grinding Levels

Hello again guys.

So here's the thing, i'm currently trying to control my card temperature.

If i use the automatic setting for the fan, the card will reach max temp at 70c, and the fan at automatic setting is not really aggresive, i think the fan was like at 55% at 70c. the card is not really hot and the fan is very quiet.

Now the weird thing is if use my custom fan profile which is i set at 65%@60c and 70%@65c, the max temp will also reach 70c max so it basically doesn't give any benefit on the GPU temp. 

So what happened here ? isn't the custom dan prfile will give me better temp ?

If i just go by the result i got, obviously i should just put the fan at automatic, but i'm thingking there must be something more, something i missed.

So what do you guys think ? any input is appreciated.

Thanks

-------------------------

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H, Intel i5 3570k 2x4 GB Kingston, Sapphire HD 7950 Vapor-XSeasonic M12II 850W, Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Seagate 500GB, Seagate 2TB

05/02/2013 01:19 PM

Author Icon
Thanny
Elite

There are two reasons to use a custom fan profile:

1)  Reduce max temperature, by increasing the fan speed, at the expense of increased noise.

2)  Reduce noise, by decreasing the fan speed, at the expense of increased temperature.

Looks like you have goal #1, but you haven't increased the fan speed high enough to achieve it.  So you've just increased noise without reducing temperature.

Since 70C is well within the card's operating limits, you'd be better off leaving the fan on automatic.

05/02/2013 02:51 PM

Author Icon
Mkissner
Farming Materials

I have that same card and use a custom fan profile while OCing it and gaming.. At desktop, everything at stock/default..

Mine is almost a 45° line, where temps=%fan speed.. So, at 70°C, it runs at 70% of speed..

But, recently, due to some more OC I've achieved, modded the last part of it (from 70°C and up) to a curve more agressive. So, at 70°C, I run my fans at 80-90%.. Doing that, kept my temps in the 70ish.. More speed and voltages means more heat. More fan speeds to keep the same temps is logical..

What Thanny said must be happening to you: maybe it's not high enough in order to notice a drop in temps.. My advice: moddify your last part of the curve and see what happens.. Now, if you happen to be done what I explained (more core speed), it's obvious that the increase in fan speed won't be noticeable at all..

If you don't OC it, remember that this cards has a "boost" mode, where it will increase core speed on demand. Maybe that's something to consider too..

I don't mind about the sound because this are quiet cards, but I do worry about temps, so nothing to be held back for a better fan profile if I were you...

Best regards...

8320 @ 4,7 / 990FXA UD5 / 7950 @ 1100-6000 / Switch 810 / H110 p-p / 16 GB RAM / 23" 5760x1080 / SSD 64GB RAID0 / HX750 / SB Recon3D Fatal1ty Champion / z506

05/02/2013 03:19 PM

Author Icon
Vegan
Elite

I recently got a new chassis, the Corsair Carbide 300R which is not super expensive. It has more fans than my old one, but the reason I grabbed it was for USB3 on the front.

I filled all fan bays with fans to create a vortex cooling pattern with air coming in from the front and passing by the video cards and out the top and back.

Given I use a 2-way graphics solution, cooling is important.

Not sure about gaming grade Radeon cards, but my GTX 260s are3 around 45C when at idle.

They then reach 85-90C when loaded 100%

Statistics
84189 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.