Topic Title: Sapphire HD 7870 XT 2GB issue
Topic Summary:
Created On: 05/06/2013 04:54 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05/06/2013 04:54 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
oop_nickc
Peon

So I recently purchased the Sapphire HD 7870 XT with boost card from Newegg.com to use for gaming purposes. I installed it, worked prefectly for a couple weeks and now I'm running into an issue with it. First off my machines specs are:

MoBo: Gigabyte MA785GMT-UD2H

CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 630 2.8 GHz Quad Core

RAM: 2x OCZ 4GB PC10666 DDR3 1333MHz

PSU: BFR GS-650 650 watt

My mother board only has PCIe 2.0 and the card is 3.0 but I was told that it was backwards compatible and would work. So I bought the card and it worked great, was getting an average of 46 fps on the highest settings on WoW. Yesterday I was gaming and everything was running smooth until my screen blanked and gave me No Input then my desktop came up. The game was still running and my mouse cursor was still the hand from the game and I couldn't click anything until I Alt+tabbed to my desktop. I opened the task manager and closed the game then ran it again, put in my password, selected my character and hit enter world. The game fully loaded and then blank screen and desktop again, same thing. I tried running Bioshock and Tomb Raider as well and the same thing happened, I opened steam, started the game, it loaded and then desktop. So I uninstalled the drivers with the amd uninstall tool and went to the website and installed the latest driver again. Ran the game, same thing. I pulled the card out, dust offed everything, made sure the card was making a good connection and tried again. Still giving me the same problem. I removed the card, removed the drivers, plugged to my onboard graphics and installed the drivers and the game ran. Today I tried the card again, installed it, dowloaded the latest driver and ran the game. Now the game starts, I take 2 steps and the screen freezes for 10 seconds then does the same thing sending me to the desktop.

I can still use my computer with the card installed. I can do any normal functions and Youtube videos play in full HD/full screen. Just whenever I play any games it gives me that error.

So my question is am I just screwed and the 3.0 card will not work with my 2.0 pcie board or is there any other solution? I'm just stumped because the card was running great up until now. If I just buy a new mobo with pcie 3.0 can I salvage all my other components (specifically the cpu) and make it work? I hope somebody can help. And if you made it this far, thank you.

-------------------------
-Nick

Edited: 05/06/2013 at 05:06 PM by oop_nickc
 05/06/2013 05:23 PM

Author Icon
WMudrockJr
Overclocker

You are PCIe 2.0 will support the card which is PCIe 3.0, at most maybe some band width lose. I have a HD 7850 on a MSI mother board, and play Bioshock, Tomb Raider with no problems. If the onboard graphics run fine it might be the card itself. Electronics if they are bad will go bad awfully quick. You might want to try and RMA the card and get a new one.

Good luck I have nothing more to add, other than Sapphire seems to have good customer support.

AMD A10-5800K, XFX 7850 Ultra OC Edition 975MHz, 16GB RAM, Win 8.1 Pro 64 bit, MSI 7778 motherboard, 500W PSU, HP P7-1235, CCC 13.12 WHQL

05/06/2013 05:47 PM

Author Icon
oop_nickc
Peon

Well I opened a ticket with Sapphire support yesterday and they just answered, said they would send an rma. Oh well guess this is solved, thanks for the reply.

-Nick
 05/06/2013 05:47 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

I suspect your power supply. I think you mean BFG instead of BFR, correct me if I'm wrong. That is a very cheap PS with no warranty from a company that is out of business. If you have access to another computer PS, switch it out and see. Also, did your previous card have a two pin set-up?

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

05/06/2013 06:06 PM

Author Icon
oop_nickc
Peon

yes it is BFG my mistake. The only other psu i have is the stock one from my case, an apevia 500w. the card requires a minimum of 500w psu. the card requires 2 6 pin pcie power connectors. I'm using the 1 6 pin and the 6 pin from the 6+2 pin connectors on the BFG psu, could it be the 6+2 that's causing an issue?

-Nick
Statistics
84138 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.