Topic Title: D-Sub+DVI = full hd?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 05/11/2013 09:00 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05/11/2013 09:00 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
pepegrillo
Peon

My video card has DVI (and 1 hdmi that im already using with another monitor) and the monitor is full hd and has a D-sub connector.

Can I reach FULL HD (1920*1080) with a DVI adapter plugged to a D-Sub connector? 

05/11/2013 10:32 AM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

You could, but analog VGA has subpar image quality compared to digital DVI.

-------------------------
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 05/11/2013 12:11 PM

Author Icon
pepegrillo
Peon

TBH, I'm SUPER noob, can you explain that plz?

05/11/2013 05:17 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Forum Moderator

Possible... Yes.

Good idea... maybe not.  Converting from digital to analog often carries with it some signal loss...  in the case of video can mean fuzzy, blurry images that just aren't as sharp as the original.  It might be worth it just to get a dvi cable if you don't have one and skip the dsub altogether.

If the display has only a vga connector, then you're stuck with it.

-------------------------

Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
Troll Hunter

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

05/12/2013 01:58 AM

Author Icon
Dinwiddie
Grinding Levels

If the quesiton is will the D-sub transmit 1920X1080 res on a 24" monitor, then yes as this is considered HD.

I have my Intel HD4000 integrated graphics connected via a D-sub cable to the same 1920X1080 monitor as my AMD card using DVI and can't really see any appreciable difference on those occasions that I use the HD4000.

Any difference there is would be a very slightly less sharp text. To me it's one of those situations where in 'real world' it  is not the problem that measurements with tools/software lead us to believe. Having said that I'm not eagle eye either.

I've also used a D-sub adapter on the DVI cable connected via my AMD card to the VGA input on the monitor and still see no real difference. I was using the VGA input with Skyrim for a while when troubleshooting muddy washed out texture shaders in some cave areas in the game when using the DVI (BenQ 120Hz monitor). As the VGA input displayed the textures correctly I came to the conclusion (maybe incorrect) there is something in the AMD drivers that caused this problem as my Nvidia machine did not have the same issue on this monitor using DVI either. Ends up the textures looked better with the brightness turned up almost full in the game settings. Installing the ENB mod has helped even more.

Edited: 05/12/2013 at 02:12 AM by Dinwiddie
 05/12/2013 08:49 PM

Author Icon
Thanny
Elite

An analogy signal going to an analog display can give you a fuzzy image.  An analog signal to a digital display cannot.  A poor quality analog signal would either not show at all, or show with random corruption, which wouldn't look anything like what the word "fuzzy" describes.

A normal VGA cable under ten feet long or so will not have such a problem.

The only difference you might see between VGA and DVD-D is lower contrast. 

Finally, make sure that the port is DVI-I and not DVI-D.  The former is either digital or analog, while the latter is digital only.  Compare the appearance with the pictures you see here to check.

Statistics
84136 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.