Topic Title: Can't get 5.1 audio with Radeon HD 5450
Topic Summary:
Created On: 05/15/2013 09:06 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05/15/2013 09:06 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
martincmartin
Peon

Hi,

I have a Radeon HD 5450, and can only get stereo output over HDMI.  I've tried the drivers that come with Windows (AMD High Definition Audio Device 9/21/2012, 7.12.0.7712), the ones with the latest Catalyst 13.4 (3/1/2013, 7.12.0.7714) and ones from Realtek (6/4/2012, 6.0.1.6650).  I've disabled my motherboard's audio.

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit.

My receiver only has optical in, so I'm sending the HDMI to box that takes HDMI in and has optical SPDIF as well as HDMI out.  The box has a switch to set Audio EDID, and I've put the switch on 5.1.  When I plug my DVD player into it, I get surround sound no problem.

But in Windows, when I go to the sound control planel -> "playback devices" -> "HDMI Output" -> "configure", the only option for audio channels is Stereo.  In CCC, in the audio tab, it says "your device does not support audio.  Select another audio device from the list above."

What else should I try?

MonInfo says my Windows machine is receiveing the following EDID:

CE audio data (formats supported)

AC-3    6-channel,  640k max. bit rate at 32/44/48 kHz

DTS     7-channel, 1536k max. bit rate at 44/48 kHz

CE speaker allocation data

Channel configuration.... 7.1

Front left/right......... Yes

Front LFE................ Yes

Front center............. Yes

Rear left/right.......... Yes

Rear center.............. No

Front left/right center.. No

Rear left/right center... Yes

Rear LFE................. No

05/15/2013 10:00 AM

Author Icon
Irre84
Peon

Browsed around, and found someone whit same problem. The solution was.

"Success! I downloaded the Realtek ATI HDMI driver and installed, and this time it worked. I now have 7.1 channel audio of all varieties, including bitstreamed TrueHD and DTS MA, and multichannel Flac converted to PCM."

Browsed some more, and did find out that Realtek ATI HDMI drivers is replaced whit just the standar Realtek HDMI drivers.

I did read that people are using old drivers like this one. http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/SOUND-CARD/REALTEK/Realtek-ATI-HDMI-Audio-Device-Driver-270.shtml

People says it working better.

Hope this helps!

Edited: 05/15/2013 at 10:11 AM by Irre84
 05/16/2013 05:45 AM

Author Icon
martincmartin
Peon

Thanks for the tip, that's actually the Realtek driver I had already tried.

So, I figured out what's going on.

S/PDIF, aka optical digital audio aka toslink, only supports compressed 5.1 in either Dolby Digital or DTS, as used on DVDs.  It doesn't support uncompressed 5.1 (LPCM), or Dolby Digital TrueHD or DTS-HD Master Audio.

Also, compressing 5.1 audio into either Dolby Digital or DTS is compute intensive, so you don't want a driver doing it, or even your audio source (e.g. program that plays video files, or video game).  So you're stuck with sources that are already encoded that way.

So I'm guessing that, because the driver can only support a very limited kind of 5.1, it doesn't list it at all.  But luckily, in VLC, I can select "A/52 over S/PDIF" and I get surround sound, even though Windows audio control panel still has Stereo selected.

Statistics
84690 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 5 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.