Topic Title: HD Radeon 7950 bug (Fix needed)
Topic Summary:
Created On: 06/29/2013 02:12 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06/29/2013 02:12 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
jnorthwood
Peon

I have searched high and low and I can't find a resolution for this bug.  Here is the issue, when playing a Full screen video game on my main monitor and trying to watch a video on my second monitor, high performance mode is not enabled and my clock is stuck at 500 mhz, leaving my video and game play choppy.

All of the solutions I've found that work aren't solutions.  Not watching a show, or installing a new card, or playing a game in windowed mode is not a fix for this card not knowing when I am using a 3d game in full screen mode.  

If there is no fix for this, please say so and I'll return the card and go back to Nvidia.  It is incredibly annoying that this card isn't intelligent enough to know when I am playing a game in full screen and watching a show on the other, honestly I've never had this problem with an Nvidia card.

I've done drivers, I've done GPU Overclock mod's do disable power play feature, I've turned off the 2D clock via the Asus tweak application, none of these things prevents my clock from dropping to 500 mhz when I start a video while running a 3d game.

I'm on the latest CCC drivers.  I have used another card and there are reports all over the internet for this issue that go unresolved.  Please, direct me to a method to force this card to stay in high performance mode all of the time or present me with a driver that is smarter then there current driver and is known to address this very issue.   

06/29/2013 04:05 PM

Author Icon
Thanny
Alpha Geek

If you're using any kind of video player that uses GPU acceleration, it will lock the clock speeds at the medium value.  Whethere there's a good reason or not, I don't know.  That's how it works.

So if you want to play a game and watch a video at the same time, you'll need to tell your video player to not use hardware acceleration for decoding.  How you do that will depend entirely on what software you're using.

06/29/2013 04:36 PM

Author Icon
jnorthwood
Peon

I don't qualify tweaking my video software as a fix.  I've looked into the various players I use and oddly I can only find the hardware acceleration configuration in Flash.

I appreciate the reply but I don't think it's unreasonable to expect AMD to fix this.  There could be a simple checkbox to turn off the toggle between high and low performance modes.  That or the drivers should be intelligent enough that if a game is using hardware acceleration that takes preference to a video.  

How can I report this to AMD, or get a reply from them?  I can't find a way to contact these guys. 

06/29/2013 05:26 PM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

Or you can just turn GPU acceleration off, which is not needed anyway unless you have a very low end CPU, such as a lower end laptop.

-------------------------
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 06/29/2013 06:52 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

The question has been answered. But, use the 'issue report form' on any driver download page or get the e-mail/telephone number for AMD support (in whatever country you live in) from the list in "How to and FAQ" of this forum and hear it from another source as well. This is not a unusual problem...it is really no problem unless you just want to make it one. Millions of people go to (in IE) tools/internet options/advanced and enable software acceleration. Then flash doesn't use your graphics card. Unless you are running Windows98 with a Pentium 2 , your processor does as good a job..and you "FIX" the issue.

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

Edited: 06/29/2013 at 08:52 PM by stumped
 06/29/2013 07:13 PM

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

Originally posted by: jnorthwood I don't qualify tweaking my video software as a fix.  I've looked into the various players I use and oddly I can only find the hardware acceleration configuration in Flash. I appreciate the reply but I don't think it's unreasonable to expect AMD to fix this.  There could be a simple checkbox to turn off the toggle between high and low performance modes.  That or the drivers should be intelligent enough that if a game is using hardware acceleration that takes preference to a video.   How can I report this to AMD, or get a reply from them?  I can't find a way to contact these guys. 

It's a feature, not a bug, so it won't be fixed. Yes, it's a stupid feature. Either get a Radeon 2k, 3k, 4k series card (they don't do this) or an nvidia card. Or just stop pretending you can play and watch a movie at the same time. No one can do that.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3120MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 835/1135MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 3.11 Pro x64

06/29/2013 09:37 PM

Author Icon
jnorthwood
Peon

Originally posted by: stumped The question has been answered. But, use the 'issue report form' on any driver download page or get the e-mail/telephone number for AMD support (in whatever country you live in) from the list in "How to and FAQ" of this forum and hear it from another source as well. This is not a unusual problem...it is really no problem unless you just want to make it one. Millions of people go to (in IE) tools/internet options/advanced and enable software acceleration. Then flash doesn't use your graphics card. Unless you are running Windows98 with a Pentium 2 , your processor does as good a job..and you "FIX" the issue.

Flash is not the only problem.  VLC, windows media player, or media player classic depending on how either of these handle the media.  

My question has not been answered.  It is ludicrous to think a 300 dollar + video card can't tell that a video and a game are running at the same time and act appropriately.  Everything on my machine is fine, except this card.  I "upgraded" from my GTX 560 Ti to this, and it sure doesn't feel like an upgrade.  I bailed on Radeon a decade ago for compatibility issues, now I guess it's going to be because they can't write proper drivers.

As for it being a "feature".  It's a feature if it works when I'm only watching a video, it's a BUG when it can't tell that I'm running a show and a 3d full screen game.  Write it off however you want, I've never owned a card that has behaved this way, but then again I've always gone with Nvidia because of reliability.  

I have to modify every software setting of any media player I might choose and this is somehow a fix?  It should absolutely be fixed by AMD, I'll go ahead and contact them to see if they'll do anything.  

Perhaps I have just been spoiled by Nvidia.  They've earned my loyalty, I don't think AMD has earned yours if you have to satisfy yourself with these kinds of "fixes".

06/30/2013 06:10 AM

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

Originally posted by: jnorthwood

it's a BUG when it can't tell that I'm running a show and a 3d full screen game.

It can. UVD takes priority. It was said a million times already. Try the forum search or google.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3120MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 835/1135MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 3.11 Pro x64

Statistics
84892 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.