Topic Title: msi 7950 heat issues
Topic Summary: severe temperature issues after restart.
Created On: 07/10/2013 04:12 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/10/2013 04:12 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
gezodiac
Peon

gpu: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127667

drivers: knwon happens on 13.6 and 13.4

Issue specifics:

Upon restarting my computer msi after burner boots up and the fan starts going haywire. The gpu idles at 33-35 (warn room summer) on initial bootup with increases to failure point. I have a solution but it is NOT ideal. To fix it, I have to uninstall all amd drivers, and reinstall them. So unistall, reboot, install. Waste of time and is forced on me when anything else needs a reboot on ubdating.

power supply: silverstone 450w gold fully modular sfx psu

display devices/connection:

yamakasi catleap 1440p ips panel monitor by DVI

applications:

not applicable it happens on reboot

cpu:

i5-2500k, 4.0 oc

mobo bios:

unsure, but the most recent asus p8z77i-deluxe bios version

memory: 1600mhz 2x4gb kit gskill ripjaws

other: 2 front 120mm fans intake, 1boot ssd atriot pyro 128gb/1 750 storage drive, no optical drive installed

additional: There is no problem when drivers are wiped and reinstalled, furmark 1440p hits 85c with 37 fps, but thats cooler than it gets idling after a restart...... again it gets so hot it fails at idle after restart.

i have bitdefender, and nother has been brought to my attention.

07/10/2013 12:20 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Your card requires a 500watt power supply to function properly....and silverstone is not in the top 100 brands of power units.

-------------------------

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

*  Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati *

07/10/2013 03:46 PM

Author Icon
gezodiac
Peon

That is not a constructive post.

Silverstone power supplies are of good quality, if they are not please provide credible (multiple) sources as to why they are not as I will not accept a single sites bias.

And I could link several reviews showing max draw is 180watts for the card and around 370 for my entire system full synthetic load.

I think a 80 plus gold power supply, by a good company (top 100? didn't know there were even 100 seperate brands...) is enough for this single gpu configuration.

(also not to mention that I have had this sytem as is much longer than this problem has better going on for)

07/10/2013 03:56 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

• PCI Express® based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard
  • 500W (or greater) power supply with two 75W 6-pin PCI Express power connectors recommended8
  • 750W (or greater) power supply with four 75W 6-pin PCI Express power connectors recommended for AMD CrossFire™ technology
    • NOTE: Minimum recommended system power supply wattage is based on the specific graphics card and the typical power requirements of other system components. Your system may require more or less power. OEM and other pre-assembled PCs may have different power requirements.
  • Certified power supplies are recommended.  Refer to http://ati.amd.com/certifiedPSU for a list of Certified products  
  • Minimum 4GB of system memory
  • 8GB (or more) of system memory recommended for AMD CrossFire™ technology
  • http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/7000/7950/Pages/radeon-7950.aspx#/2

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

*  Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati *

07/10/2013 06:52 PM

Author Icon
    black_zion
    80 Column Mind

Tried an old driver set such as one of the 12.x sets?

AMD FX-8350 w/ Corsair H105, ASUS Sabertooth 990FX Gen3/R2, 8GiB G.SKILL DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, Corsair C70, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
     07/11/2013 05:15 AM

Author Icon
    gezodiac
    Peon

Stumped, please stop posting if you are not going to actually say anything constructive. 500w minimum says nothing about the quality of psu and you conveniently denied my request to post multiple sources saying silverstone is bad. Because they are of good quality in fact.

And on to the 500w minimum...... no rating, and means any 500w psu. To note I posted evidence the 7950 does not need 500w for the entire system. LOOK at them, my system draws AT PEAK 380 watts if I load up the cpu and gpu synthetically with prime and furmark.

Amd HAS to assume not everyone has a good quality psu (silverstone sesonic and others), and they are using possible diablotek/apevia/sparkle non rated psus that are 25$.

more images...

This is with a i7-3960x at 4.3 ghz.

If you want to keep saying I need 500w....

Black zion, where would I find archives for these? 

07/11/2013 09:09 AM

Author Icon
    Marc@AMD
    Forum Moderator

As per the requirements stumped quoted, I would suggest two things on the PSU side of things.

1. That (like it says) it is possible your system will require more or less power than the 500W recommended.
    2. That you should ensure your Silverstone 450W Modular PSU has two 75W 6-pin connectors.

As you stated, gezodiac, you can resolve your issue through an uninstall/install of our drivers.  This speaks to a software problem, and not a hardware issue.  Provided you have done the thorough driver uninstall steps, I would consider that the root cause lies elsewhere.  Things to consider may be:

• corrupted OS install
    • background applications or processes

However, I also don't entirely understand your issue as you describe it.  You said, "The gpu idles at 33-35 (warn room summer) on initial bootup with increases to failure point."  Please be more specific with this description.

;Marc

AMD Customer Care

The information presented in this document is for informational purposes only and may contain technical inaccuracies, omissions and typographical errors. Links to third party sites are for convenience only, and no endorsement is implied.

07/11/2013 09:14 AM

Author Icon
    black_zion
    80 Column Mind

For 32 bit and for 64 bit Vista, 7, and 8.

As for your power supply, it's either made by Fortron or Enhance, not the best brands. But if this is your PSU, and you are drawing 370w, and it is rated for 444w at 12v, then you are at an 83.33% load which is not optimal. I would keep an eye out for a sale on the SeaSonic SS-760XP2. Ideally you want to run a power supply as close to 50% of its rated capacity for optimal efficiency, and a 444w power supply doesn't give you much room for future upgrades, or a lifespan when adjusting for capacitor degeneration (loss of ~2% max output power per year).

AMD FX-8350 w/ Corsair H105, ASUS Sabertooth 990FX Gen3/R2, 8GiB G.SKILL DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, Corsair C70, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
     07/11/2013 10:11 AM

Author Icon
    gezodiac
    Peon

Originally posted by: Marc@AMD As per the requirements stumped quoted, I would suggest two things on the PSU side of things.

1. That (like it says) it is possible your system will require more or less power than the 500W recommended.
    2. That you should ensure your Silverstone 450W Modular PSU has two 75W 6-pin connectors.

As you stated, gezodiac, you can resolve your issue through an uninstall/install of our drivers.  This speaks to a software problem, and not a hardware issue.  Provided you have done the thorough driver uninstall steps, I would consider that the root cause lies elsewhere.  Things to consider may be:

• corrupted OS install
    • background applications or processes

However, I also don't entirely understand your issue as you describe it.  You said, "The gpu idles at 33-35 (warn room summer) on initial bootup with increases to failure point."  Please be more specific with this description.

;Marc

I am planning on a os reinstallation soon, it is an itx computer with no internal cd dvd drive and when i buy one for the purcpose of only installing the os. That may fix it, but it seems drastic.

Further details:

When the computer is off, and booted on and im in windows msi afterburner is set to start at boot. It starts at 33-35 degrees (further supported by it always being idle around this temperature) . If it were not summer I idle at around 27c +/- 1c. If I let it sit and watch it, it increases to 100+c with 100% fan. Thats hotter than any game has ever gotten that I have played on this. 

And Black...... I am not buying a 760w PLATINUM psu to run a single gpu..... thats crossfire territory and this is itx computer, asus p8z77i-deluxe is an ITX board. And my psu is fine up to 90% load, even factoring the capacitor degredation I am not even going to own this computer that long.

07/11/2013 11:20 AM

Author Icon
    Marc@AMD
    Forum Moderator

To confirm:

The system boots, and the card is a bit warmer than normal.  That's fine - it's summer.  The fan is spinning like crazy (not normal), but the card still climbs to over 100c.  Here's my thinking:

If the fans are spinning like mad then the card should be not overheating.  So perhaps the fans are defective on the card, or perhaps HSF is loose against the GPU.  The video card should not be getting to 100c, and the fans are designed to prevent this, even in the summer, and even when the card is under full-load.  To me, that makes sense.  The only factor to consider is that it it may be possible to reach 100c in a case with horrible air-flow, in the dead of summer.

I typically find inadequate PSUs lead to instability.  A faulty PSU may be causing this issue, if somehow it is incorrectly giving the card more power than it can cool.

;Marc

AMD Customer Care

The information presented in this document is for informational purposes only and may contain technical inaccuracies, omissions and typographical errors. Links to third party sites are for convenience only, and no endorsement is implied.

07/11/2013 02:24 PM

Author Icon
    Thanny
    Alpha Geek

There are three possibilities I can see:

1)  You have something right up against the graphics card, so air can't get into the fans.

2)  You have no case airflow, so the graphics card is just recycling warm air inside the case, heating it up more and more.

3)  The GPU heatsink is not making proper contact.

The third is rather less likely, as the temperature would not build up slowly, but spike rather rapidly.

You mention two intake fans, but say nothing about output fans, and where they are in relation to the graphics card.  A picture of the inside of your case would be helpful, with annotations pointing to all the fans (in case they aren't readily visible).

07/11/2013 02:31 PM

Author Icon
    black_zion
    80 Column Mind

Don't you just love it when you ask someone to go through basic troubleshooting steps and they get mad at you for suggesting things? You can't effectively troubleshoot without ruling certain things out. It could be the drivers, which is why I said to try a much older set. It could be the power supply, it is possibly feeding components more than 12 volts. It could be inadequate ventilation or an incorrectly assembled card as Marc said. It could be a faulty component on the card such as a VRM which is letting through to much power.

Not having an internal DVD drive is no excuse, as an external DVD drive is an inexpensive component.

And as far as an 80 Plus Platinum power supply goes, no it is not for Crossfire territory. As I said before a PSU is at its most efficient at 50% load, and if you buy a quality unit then you never have to worry about it not providing clean, efficient power for many years. It's the same reason you don't buy Value RAM, or a Missing Some Intelligence product.

07/11/2013 03:01 PM

Author Icon
    gezodiac
    Peon

Originally posted by: Thanny There are three possibilities I can see:

1)  You have something right up against the graphics card, so air can't get into the fans.

2)  You have no case airflow, so the graphics card is just recycling warm air inside the case, heating it up more and more.

3)  The GPU heatsink is not making proper contact.

The third is rather less likely, as the temperature would not build up slowly, but spike rather rapidly.

You mention two intake fans, but say nothing about output fans, and where they are in relation to the graphics card.  A picture of the inside of your case would be helpful, with annotations pointing to all the fans (in case they aren't readily visible).

1. there is nothing but up against it, there is a vent to allow air to come in directly to the card.

2.  see 1, and there is no possibility of recycling. As again this problem only ONLY occurs when it is a fresh restart.  And it gets to 10c+ in like 2 minutes. 

3. Unlikely as I just played farcry 3 for 2 hours hit max temp of 70c and stayed there, other than cutscenes and loading when it lowered.

Overall case ventilation is not the issue, because my cpu idles low 30's atm and the gpu mid 30's as it is the summer. It is ONLY on a restart that this happens.

And black, you take this far too personal. You mock me and MSI, a good manufacturer all around, and expect me to now take you seriously, I have a person on another board showing me your brand bias. And again 760 watts 80 plus platinum for a single gpu is 2x card territory, and what you think was "mad"..... was clearly a rational person looking at benches and noting power draw for his system is sub 400 and will never go above that, AS IT IS AN ITX SYSTEM no room for anything else. I have gotten all I want from this thread, a whole lot of nothing. Only tangible thing was trying an older driver as this started with 13.4.

Statistics
    87610 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
    There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.