Topic Title: PC freezes & makes buzzing noise from speakers
Topic Summary:
Created On: 07/10/2013 06:56 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/10/2013 06:56 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
paul_mc
Peon

It is a "Eyefinity Radeon HD 7570" and I'm concerned about its operating temperature because my pc keeps freezing up and makes a buzzing noise...  Frequently while playing games, but occasionally while watching a video also...

When I am at my Windows Desktop (doing nothing), "CPUID Monitor" reports my video card is ~ 50 degress celsius.  When I play X3 Albion Prelude, it runs around 78 degress celsius.

I suspect my graphic card is getting even hotter when my PC freezes up, but I cannot tell the exact temperature because I have to reboot the PC and I lose that info.

The computer is still under warranty and they have already replaced the motherboard I believe.  It is a HP H8-1423.  Specs here http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c03528369&prodSeriesId=5295996

I am wondering if my radeon HD 7570 card is running too hot?  50 degrees celsius sounds a little warm when just idle mostly.  I read 80 degrees is too hot and I see the card hitting 78 degrees when I playing a game.

Other people I see posting results between 30-50 degrees. But it is hard to find details for my card exactly...  So I'm hoping someone here might have an idea if 78 degrees is too high.

Thanks very much for your time.

I've included the requested info below the best I can.  I hope it is all right.

Graphics Card:

- Eyefinity Radeon HD 7570
- Never over clocked.

AMD Catalyst Driver Version:

- Display Driver ver 12.104
- OpenCL Driver ver 10.0.1124.2
- Catalyst Control Center ver 2013.0328.2217.38225
- Direct X 11

Operating System:

- Windows 8, 64 bit.
- All Windows Updates
- Windows AMD HD 7570 Driver = 9.12.2.3000 (2013-02-19)

Issue:

PC freezes up and makes a buzzing noise.  Must hold down power button on PC to power down and reboot.

It freezes occasionally while watching youtube & watching videos locally using Windows Media Player.

It freezes very frequently while playing games like StarCraft 2 or X3 Albion Prelude. 

The PC seems fine for awhile, but once the PC starts freezing up, it starts freezing more frequently.  Like 10 minutes later.  repeatedly.

Graphics Settings are typically:

- 1920x1080x32
- Antialiasing = 4x
- Anisotropic Texture Filtering = 8x
- Other setting are set to high, such as details, view distance, etc...

Motherboard - Gigabyte M3970AM-HP (Angelica2)

Power Supply is HP's 460 watts.

Devices Connected:

- Samsung LED S24B350
- Standard SVGA cable using supplied DVI -> SVGA adapter on grfx card.

Applications and Games:

- StarCraft 2
- X3 Albion Prelude
- Youtube
- Windows Media Player (movies stored on hard drive)

CPU details:

- AMD FX-8350, TDP 125W, 4.0 GHz, 8 cores, AM3+ Socket
- Never over clocked.

System Memory - 10 GB Ram DDr3-1600, 2 TB Hard Drive, 1 case fan, 1 psu fan, 1 gfx card fan, 1 dvd drive

BIOS rev. 8.07

Additional Details:

- Performed virus scan, malware scan, spyware scan.
- Performed HP hardware test  on memory, cpu, HD using HP's on board utility.
- HP replaced Motherboard I believe.

Thanks for the help, appreciate it very much.

Edited: 07/13/2013 at 02:06 PM by paul_mc
 07/10/2013 07:07 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Please dude....repost in a readable format:

Please read the sticky "Read Before Posting".
http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=440&threadid=160417&enterthread=y

To make it easier to assist you please supply the following:
            ( Please don't paste dxdiag )

1. Processor (I5-xxxx, A10-xxxx, etc)
2. Graphics card (HD6970, HD4850, Mobility, etc)
3. OS (Win7, Win8, WinXP, 32 or 64bit, etc)
4. Driver version (13.2, 12.10, etc)
5. Power Supply..list make and model and wattage
6. RAM
7. Did your computer come with the OS and Graphics card you have now?
8. Monitor resolution (native), connected by (DVI, HDMI, etc)

PLEASE POST IN THE CORRECT SUB_FORUM

If this is a LAPTOP, list your laptop model number and post in the correct forum...that would be the laptop forum   http://forums.amd.com/game/categories.cfm?catid=448&entercat=y

If this is a APU issue, post in the APU forum  http://forums.amd.com/game/categories.cfm?catid=483&flcache=7902865&entercat=y

If you have a AMD 4xxx, 3xxx, 2xxx, 1xxx or earlier series card, post in the correct (extended support) forum  http://forums.amd.com/game/categories.cfm?catid=449&flcache=6021652&entercat=y

If this is a crossfire/dual graphics issue, post in the Crossfire forum  http://forums.amd.com/game/categories.cfm?catid=475&entercat=y

If you resolved your issue, please say so. Others with the same issue can then benefit.

-------------------------

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

*  Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati *

07/10/2013 07:08 PM

Author Icon
QB the Slayer
Master Looter

What is this gibberish?  I refuse to read such non-sense...

QB

The MONSTER HTPC:

CPU: AMD FX-8350.||.Cooler: Corsair H80i
MB: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD7.||.RAM: 8 GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3 2000MHz (7-10-8-27-1T)
Case: CoolerMaster HAF 932.||.PSU: Corsair HX750
GPU:Asus R9 270X DirectCU II TOP.||.Audio: Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro w/ Logitech Z-5300e (5.1, 280W-RMS)
System Drive: 2xSamsung 840 Pro 128GB RAID0.||.Working Drive: 2xMushkin Chronos 60GB RAID0

07/11/2013 02:18 PM

Author Icon
Thanny
Alpha Geek

50C when idle is a bit warm, but entirely normal with either a high room temperature or poor airflow in the case.

78C at load is also somewhat high, for the same potential reasons.

But not high enough to cause any problems.  You only need to worry when it gets past 100C. 

If it were the GPU overheating, you'd typically get a thermal shutdown (i.e. system powers off), not a frozen system.

Provide all details in a readable format, and maybe you'll get better help.

07/13/2013 02:53 AM

Author Icon
paul_mc
Peon

Hi Thanny,

Thanks for taking the extra time to read through that...  Not sure why the formatting was removed.  I'll try again.

That is good information about the temperatures, thank you. 

I recently removed the cover and had a fan blowing on the motherboard... 

This seems to resolve the issue, but it is still a bit early to tell for sure.

I put the cover back on the pc and it locked up within 20 minutes.  (after running a good hour with the fan...)

I will test it out further tomorrow to make sure...

Please don't take this as arguing your point, like you said it "typically" powers off...

One of the reasons I am persuing this avenue is because AMD's website says overheating can cause the PC to freeze...

"A heating issue can contribute to a system freeze, hang, fan blowing at maximum speed, sluggish performance or a random restart. Please ensure the system has maximum airflow, cooling and proper ventilation to prevent hardware components from overheating."

Further testing with OCCT shows the temperature only reaching about 85 degrees, then the grfx fan must have kicked in and it dropped to about 77 degrees.  But no lock ups...

I'm not sure  how the OCCT test compares to a full blown game, in regards to how agressive it is on the card.

Very frustrating problem...  I cringe, and curse evertime I have to power it down by holding the power button 10 seconds...   Not good for open files...

I'm grasping at straws now...  Sorry if I sound bewildered...  I am...

well, thanks again for the feedback.  I appreciated it very much!!!!

Cheers,
Paul

Edited: 07/13/2013 at 03:53 AM by paul_mc
 07/13/2013 02:59 AM

Author Icon
paul_mc
Peon

Phew...  got it fixed.

07/13/2013 03:09 AM

Author Icon
Kmaster
Peon

This is happening to me also, but most of the times I get a BSOD and  I can almost confirm this is not a temperature problem. Have you tried reverting to older drivers? That's what I'm going to try now.

07/13/2013 04:02 AM

Author Icon
paul_mc
Peon

Originally posted by: Kmaster Have you tried reverting to older drivers?

No, I don't belive I tried an older driver.

When I purchased the PC (a few months ago) it suffered this problem right from the start.  If anything I made sure all the drivers were the latest.

HP actually provided the driver for the card initially.  I grabbed AMD's latest driver and I installed AMD's latest Catalyst software also.

I'm not sure how to get an older driver for my card.  When I visit AMD's webpage, the drop down boxes eventually lead me to their latest release.

Is there a repository for older drivers somewhere on AMD's site?

Thanks for the feedback, and good luck finding a resolution to your problem too.

07/13/2013 07:26 AM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Originally posted by: paul_mc
Originally posted by: Kmaster Have you tried reverting to older drivers?

No, I don't belive I tried an older driver.

When I purchased the PC (a few months ago) it suffered this problem right from the start.  If anything I made sure all the drivers were the latest.

HP actually provided the driver for the card initially.  I grabbed AMD's latest driver and I installed AMD's latest Catalyst software also.

I'm not sure how to get an older driver for my card.  When I visit AMD's webpage, the drop down boxes eventually lead me to their latest release.

Is there a repository for older drivers somewhere on AMD's site?

Thanks for the feedback, and good luck finding a resolution to your problem too.

Previous drivers here

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

*  Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati *

07/13/2013 01:50 PM

Author Icon
MD - Moderator
Forum Moderator

Just a FYI:

Buzzing or whining sounds usually indicate power supply overload, where as ticking on a SMPS will indicate under loading or no load.

SMPS = Switch Mode Power Supply, this could even be on the small SMPS that are built into some sections of some motherboards.

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

Physics? Ha! This is clearly magic and devilry at work. Prepare firewood! We have witches to burn!

Senior Engineering Technician (AEET).

07/13/2013 02:06 PM

Author Icon
paul_mc
Peon

hmmm, I should have said the noise is from the audio speakers...

Its hard to describe... From what I've read on the net, it sounds like it is stuck in a "sound loop"...

Sorry...  I realize the title is a bit mis leading now...  Hafta fix that.  thx.

07/14/2013 09:57 AM

Author Icon
paul_mc
Peon

I think I have the problem narrowed down... I'm pretty sure it is overheating somewhere in the computer.

Before playing my game, I took the side cover off and used a house fan to blow on the circuitry, the computer has worked fine for over 48 hrs (currently)...  I put the side cover back on, and the computer locked up in less than 20 minutes in a previous test...

I'm pretty sure this means it is overheating somewhere...  At least I think that would be a logical conclusion...

PS: Talking to the technicians at the HP help desk is ludicrous.
(level one I presume)

For a locked up PC they troubleshooted their way to the conclusion it was either:

- OS
- speakers
- keyboard

They had me reinstall the OS 2 times, and then they reinstalled it for the warranty repair. (wtf?!?!?)

I told them the defination of crazy...  Doing the same thing over and over again, expecting a different result...

Unreal...

Edited: 07/14/2013 at 10:05 AM by paul_mc
 08/03/2013 12:16 AM

Author Icon
GET DUNKED
Peon

im having the exact same problem as you paul. i did everything you did and still im having problems. have you fixed the problem yet? if so, what did you do?

08/03/2013 12:37 PM

Author Icon
paul_mc
Peon

I have to send the unit into HP for repairs.  They think it is the CPU fan, but it spins around 8-9000 rpm.  For some reason, I have a hard time getting points across to the technicians from India.

Does increasing the airflow help with your problem?  That is what I did.  I still am unsure which exact component is at fault.

When I get it back from HP's experts, I'll update the post with the results.

PS: Are you using the same hardware as me?

08/03/2013 03:49 PM

Author Icon
GET DUNKED
Peon

ok thanks and no, i have a radeon sapphire 7950 and windows 7

Edited: 08/05/2013 at 04:21 PM by GET DUNKED
Statistics
87560 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 6 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.