Topic Title: HD 7870 - Freezes upon Startup
Topic Summary:
Created On: 07/16/2013 12:42 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/16/2013 12:42 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
ch3burashka
Peon

I built a desktop about a month ago, and got a Sapphire HD 7870 Overclocked Edition. When it works, it works great - no graphical issues whatsoever.

However, whenever I shut down my computer and start it up again for a new session, it freezes at Windows Startup. It hangs until I'm forced to hit the hard reset button on the front of the desktop, after which the BIOS gives me the option to either proceed to Windows 7, or do Startup Repair (recommended). After this, it either proceeds (and usually fails) to repair anything, or prompts me to do a System Restore, which also usually fails to produce any permanent results. When Startup Repair fails, it gives me one of two error codes: 0x1f (can't remember what the description is), and 0x490 (System Files Integrity Check and Repair failed). After this, I am forced to shut down / restart the computer. At this point, it loads Windows 7 perfectly. However, this entire process takes from 15-45 minutes, depending how many times I have to go through Startup Repair, because it doesn't always allow me to proceed to the desktop after failing repairs.

I have isolated this issue to the graphics card (or the drivers). I've considered whether this could be a hardware issue, some kind of defect, but like I said, it works great once loaded - games play perfectly, very rare driver crashes, etc. I've experimented with taking it out of the desktop, and when I use the integrated graphics, there are never any issues - the moment I insert the card and use it as the main graphics renderer, it hangs on Windows Startup. I've looked up solutions to the error codes, but suggestions are too generic to be useful - I've tried FixMbr, registry cleans, reinstalling drivers, all that. I've attempted to install earlier drivers, but the AMD website makes it incredibly difficult to find older drivers.

I'd appreciate any pointers - at this point my solution is to never turn off my desktop until I can figure this thing out.

07/16/2013 04:05 PM

Author Icon
ch3burashka
Peon

More info on the actual composition of my build.

Motherboard: MB MSI|H77MA-G43 H77 LGA1155 R

PSU:PSU RAIDMAX | HYBRID2 RX-530SS 530W

CPU:CPU INTEL|CORE I5 3470 3.2G 6M R

Memory:MEM 4Gx2|PATRIOT PSD38G1600KH R

HDD:1T|ST ST1000DM003 7K 64M %

Like I said, however, everything works fine without the card. The only thing I can imagine being at issue is some kind of mobo/GPU incompatibility or issues.

07/28/2013 06:06 AM

Author Icon
ch3burashka
Peon

I'm disappointed at the lack of any AMD communication. However, I figure I'd check in, in case anyone else has a similar issue.

Long story short, I wasn't able to figure out a software fix. This being a hardware issue, I figured I'd make progess by tinkering with the case. I decided to use my second PCI-E slot, and it has apparently done the trick. I'm still holding my fingers crossed, but practically and logically it seems to make sense.

Statistics
80930 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.