Topic Title: "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered"
Topic Summary:
Created On: 07/18/2013 05:56 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/18/2013 05:56 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Jeffersson
Peon

Hello!

I'm having a problem, which probably has something to do  with my graphic's card, a Radeon HD 7970. 

When I play games using high quality settings, my screen freezes for 5-15 seconds and then goes completeley black for a moment before returning to the game. The sound may sometimes continue in the background. This had happend in Chivalry: Medieval Warfare, Alliance of Valliant Arms and Killing Floor.

This problem always happens just a few minutes into the gameplay. I've also experienced that the game freezes immediately after the introductional cutscene. This leads to that I have to restart the game (Farcry 3) and use low settings, just to be able to play the game. A very similiar issue has occured in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. 

In every of these scenarios, I've got the message "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered". 

I'm using Windows 7 and, as I mentioned, a Radeon HD 7970 graphic's card. 

What can I do to fix these highly annoying problems?

07/18/2013 07:06 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

This can sometimes be fixed by changing the TDR setting in Windows. The FAQ section of the forum has this information.

-------------------------

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

Edited: 07/18/2013 at 07:12 PM by stumped
 07/20/2013 09:07 AM

Author Icon
Jeffersson
Peon

I've tried to change the TDR delay according to the FAQ post, to first 8 seconds, and then to 12.

There is a clear difference, although it does not solve my problem. Instead of freezing up at once and then more or less remain unplayable, the game keep freezing and unfreezing with a couple of seconds between every freeze. When the game is not frozen it seems to be trying to catch up, thus fast forwarding what supposedly should have happened. (This is how Far Cry 3 acts upon start, I have not tried these settings playing any other games yet.)

So, is there any other possible fix for this?

07/20/2013 09:56 AM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Possibly. Furnish the info asked for in "PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING".

-------------------------

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

07/21/2013 12:46 PM

Author Icon
Jeffersson
Peon

Tried to fill out my details as detailed as possible. Hopefully there is a solution that will help!

Graphics Card

- XFX AMD Radeon HD 7970

- (Supposedly XFX overclocks the standard card. No other OC done.)

AMD Catalyst Driver Version, and Driver History

- Currently using Catalyst version 13.4. Not sure of which earlier version I've used.

Operating System

- Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium x64

- Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601

- Earlier had Windows 8 Home Premium x64 installed, same problems I had there persists with Win7.

Issue Details

- Far Cry 3, Sleeping Dogs: 

Right after the introductional cutscene, the game freezes for 5-15 seconds. While the game still is frozen, the screen gets completely black for a couple of seconds.

The sound is still going on in the background during the whole process. These sessions of freezing don't stop and are following eachother with only a second between them.  

I've also noticed that the characters' speaking soundtracks cannot begin during a session of freezing. An initiated soundtrack continues though, just like the background

music. These exact symptoms occure after the intro cutscenes in Far Cry 3 and Sleeping Dogs. 

To reproduce the issues, you only have to start the game and watch the intro.

- Chivalry: Medieval Warfare:

In this game, there is no introductional cutscene. The issues begin in the gameplay (not while in the menus). The problem is still the same as in Far Cry 3 and sleeping Dogs.

The game freezes for a few seconds and is then followed by a black screen. There are differences though. The background music doesn't continue during a freezing session. 

The freezing sessions in Chivalry are usually shorter and normally occures with 30-60 seconds between them. The time can vary though. Sometimes it only takes two seconds

to another freeze, sometimes two minutes. Another possible scenario is that the game freezes completely, and restarting the computer is the only way to get out of it. I can't

say exactly how often this happens though.

To reproduce the issues, you only have to start a game.

- Alliance of Valiant Arms:

The game do not have any intro cutscene, and the issues begin in the gameplay (not while in the menus). The freezing varies. Sometimes the game only freezes for

3-5 seconds and then goes back to normal. Sometimes the freezing is followed by a black screen, just like in Far Cry 3 and Sleeping Dogs. The difference is that the freezing 

sessions in Alliance of Valiant Arms is shorter. If the game only freezes a couple of seconds, or also gets followed by a black screen, seem to depend on what happens while

playing. Large explosions etc. cause more freezing than small ones.

To reproduce the issues, you only have to start a game.

- Skyrim

In Skyrim, the issue is very similiar to Far Cry 3 and Sleeping Dogs. About 15-30 seconds after the introductional cutscene the game freezes. The freezing is about

5-15 seconds, and is followed by a completely white screen. After this point, I have to restart the game. By going back to a save that takes place after the intro 

cutscene, I can continue playing. But the problems continue aswell. When I begin to fight, the screen freezes and the game shuts down, almost instantly.

Something that applies to all the games, is that I play them with the highest settings (no VSync or Anti-Aliasing) and resolution 1920x1080. To make the games work properly,

I have to lower the settings. If I want to keep the high settings, I have to lower the resolution instead.

Motherboard or System Make & Model

- MS-7751

Power Supply

- XFX ProSeries Core Edition 650W PSU

- http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/xfx_core_edition/

Display Device(s) and Connection(s) Used

- BenQ RL2450H

- Connected using DVI cable.

Applications and Games

---Steam---

- Far Cry 3

- Skyrim

- Chivalry: Medieval Warfare

- Alliance of Valiant Arms

- Sleeping Dogs

CPU Details

- Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3401 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)

- No overclocking

Motherboard BIOS Version

- American Megatrends Inc. V10.7, 2012-10-22

- (According to the system-information accessed through the Catalyst information tab.)

System Memory Type & Amount

- Crucial DDR3 BallistiX 1600MHz 8GB Kit

Additional Hardware

- Crucial m4 SSD 2.5" 128GB Kit (System disk: OS and drivers etc. on here)

- Seagate Barracuda 2TB SATA 3.0 (Most games, files and other programs on here.)

- Samsung DVD+-RW SH - 224BB/BEBE SATA BLACK

- 2 case fans

- ASUS PCE -N53 11n N600 PCI-E Adapter

Additional Details

- OS has very recently been completely re-installed.

- Running Microsoft Security Essentials with no threats detected.

- No hardware checks done.

Edited: 07/21/2013 at 12:58 PM by Jeffersson
 07/27/2013 08:35 AM

Author Icon
Jeffersson
Peon

Is there anyone who have any idea of what I can do to fix this? I have already followed pretty much every troubleshooting step outlined in the sticky at http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=440&threadid=166144&enterthread=y

I've also uploaded a picture of the error message I sometimes recieve. (Couldn't attach it to this post for some reason, so here's a link instead: http://imgur.com/TlLVNeP

Statistics
84293 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.