Topic Title: HD 78780: Screen occasionaly goes black for a few seconds
Topic Summary: Bonus issue: Incorrectly rendered webpages
Created On: 07/25/2013 09:04 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/25/2013 09:04 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
mlanghof
Peon

Graphics Card
- Gigabyte Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition

AMD Catalyst Driver Version, and Driver History
- Catalyst Control Center: 2013.0328.2218.38225
- Had the autoinstaller run two days ago, first uninstalled previous driver and then installed the current one. Issue persisted.

Operating System
- Windows 8, 64 bit

Issue Details
Two different symptoms, maybe unrelated.
1) When rendering websites in Firefox (latest version), sometimes a pattern of black squares covers small parts of the window. The issue appears on scrolling and sticks with the scrolled content, but also disappears as randomly as it appears.

It's not a major issue and i can deal with it just fine. It looks rather graphics card related though, i'll try to grab a screenshot.
Edit: "Firefox Tile bug" from here sounds like this, but i'm not sure if it's the same. Not that there would be anything helpful about it.
Also, i've experienced heavily distorted graphics on soundcloud.com. Again, i doubt this is browser/site related. Got a screenshot for that.

2) The screen occasionally goes black for about 2-3 seconds. I haven't been able to make out any trigger for this, it happens randomly and does not seem tied to any specific program, action or timing. There's a good chance of it happening multiple times in a row, like 3 times in 15 seconds, but then not again for hours.
Whenever this happens, a single line of red pixels appears roughly in the upper third of the screen. It only lasts very briefly before/after the black screen but i noticed that it's always there.

This is a major issue and annoyance, it heavily disrupts.
It is not overheating related. The card basically stays at 30°C the entire time, no matter what i'm doing, most games i play don't even put the card under load. But since the issue also appears after a fresh reboot with a cold card, it cannot be temperature-related.
Reproducing is not trivial as i can go for hours without anything happening.

Motherboard or System Make & Model
- ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP, Socket 1155

Power Supply
- be quiet! Pure Power L7 530W

Display Device(s) and Connection(s) Used
- Acer G246HLBBID, HDMI-cable into the card

Applications and Games
- Seen it happen the most when browsing in Firefox, but also happens when playing e.g. Firefall. Does not seem tied to any particular application.

CPU Details
- Intel Core i7-3770 @ 3.4 GHz, not overclocked.

System Memory Type & Amount
- 2x 8GB-Kit G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9

Additional Hardware
- Zalman Z11 Plus Midi Tower with default case fans (again, overheating cannot be the issue)
- System running on 128 GB SSD, 3 TB HDD for data.
- ...and a CD/DVD drive. LG GH24NS.

I got screenshots but i get an "Error uploading file" when trying to upload the .png files. Does the forum want another format?

Edited: 07/26/2013 at 02:27 PM by mlanghof
Statistics
84970 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 5 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.