Topic Title: HDMI port no longer working
Topic Summary: HDMI port has been working fine, recently completely quit working
Created On: 08/05/2013 01:30 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/05/2013 01:30 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
danlewis13
Peon

I'm going to start out with the "fill out all the information"

Graphics Card
HD6850 not overclocked

AMD Catalyst Driver Version, and Driver History
Version 2013.0328.2218.38225

Operating System
Windows 8 64 bit

Issue Details
My tvs no longer detect the hdmi display.

Power Supply
500 Watt standard power supply

Display Device(s) and Connection(s) Used
Asus monitor and a Magnavox tv and also a Philips tv

CPU Details
AMD Phenom II X6 1035T Processor 2.60 GHZ

Motherboard BIOS Version

Not sure

System Memory Type & Amount
12 gigs also not sure it matters

Additional Details
What I've done so far... So far I have purchased another hdmi cable (didn't fix the issue), I've uninstalled all graphic drivers and reinstalled them, this includes catalyst. I then decided "maybe it's the tv" so I got another one just a few minutes ago and it still won't detect my computer/my computer won't detect it. I've reseated all cables. The only thing I haven't done is try to connect to the tv via a vga cable since my graphics card doesn't have a vga input and the tv doesn't have a dvi input. I have the feeling this is some extremely easy fix or the hdmi port on my graphics card is blown. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

08/07/2013 01:32 PM

Author Icon
rupert
Peon

I had exactly the same problem crop up yesterday! 

ATI 5800 689E

i7 3770K

24G ddr3 Ram

I have used three (3) monitors for about six months now.  Everything was fine.  Yesterday I unplugged all three to move the computer for cleaning the area as I done several times before.

After cleaning I installed all three monitors exactly as I have done before.  Now my card will not recognize or talk to either of the monitors plugged into their normal HTMI port!  They don't show up on my desk top management page either.

Is there a software switch, etc that needs to be reset?  I'd think it was cable or port issue but all three monitors with their original cables work fine except in either of the HTMI ports. I can't imagine two htmi ports going bad at the same time!

This all has happened without any hardware changes, software changes, or updates of drivers.  However, I did download the latest driver for my ATI 5800 today and still get the same results.

Edited: 08/08/2013 at 08:51 AM by rupert
 08/07/2013 03:07 PM

Author Icon
danlewis13
Peon

Sorry to hear the same thing happened to you, but I'm completely at a loss on this. I've done a lot on this, I don't know why they would have just stopped working out of no where.

08/08/2013 12:18 PM

Author Icon
efortin6
Peon

I have a very similar problem.

No matter what I try, I can't get my card to output anything on HDMI once I have the AMD drivers installed. 

I wrote a long post about the problem, including everything I've tried, but I haven't been able to get feedback or assistance.  You can read it here: 

http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=454&threadid=167245&highlight_key=y

One thing your could try, that worked for me, to get video out of your HDMI port would be to installed Window's generic graphics adapter drivers. 

1. Uninstall the Catalyst drivers. 

2. From the device manager, go to your display adapter.

3. Right click on the 6850 and click "update driver software"

4. Select the "browse my computer..." option

5. Select the "let me pick..." option

6. Select the "Standard VGA Graphics Apapter" driver 

7. Click next and finish the installation. 

That will load the same drivers windows uses in safemode. 

You will be limited to a lower resolution (no 1080p) and will have no hardware acceleration, but your HDMI output should work. At least, that's the only way I could confirm that my HDMI port isn't dead on my 5850. 

Give that a try and please let me know if it works. 

It's by no means a fix but at least you might be able to tell if your HDMI port still outputs anything.

If enough people are able to prove there's a problem with the AMD drivers and HDMI output they'll take notice and get around to fixing it... maybe. 

08/08/2013 02:04 PM

Author Icon
danlewis13
Peon

Alrite did that and now it'll "detect" a second display but won't show anything on it. I'm pretty sure this is just going to be the nail in the coffin for me ever purchasing ATI anything again. Nothing like wasting money on a product that AMD won't support.

08/08/2013 04:05 PM

Author Icon
efortin6
Peon

Have you tried running your pc with only the HDMI output connected? 

I'm curious if it'll work that way. 

I'm not convinced the Standard VGA Graphics Adapter drivers from windows would support dual monitors.  Especially since the maximum supported resolution by those drivers is so low. (1280x1024)

08/08/2013 05:46 PM

Author Icon
danlewis13
Peon

Yup, that's exactly what I did. I'm convinced the hdmi port is just borked. Another waste of money given to ATI. The new NVidea cards are looking mighty fine.

08/14/2013 03:31 PM

Author Icon
danlewis13
Peon

The HDMI port is definitely bad, I went out and purchased a DVI to HDMI adapter and a 25 foot digital auido cable and it works just fine. Guess it just blew the port.

Statistics
84128 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.