Topic Title: Red Screen - HD7870 XT WITH BOOST
Topic Summary: Red Screen (no text) randomly while gaming on Sapphire Radeon HD7870 XT WITH BOOST 2GB DDR5 256-bit
Created On: 08/12/2013 06:36 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/12/2013 06:36 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
AdrianM
Peon

I have built the below gaming rig 2 months ago:

MBU Gigabyte GA-P85-D3

PCU Intel Core i5 4570 3.2GHz box

GPU Sapphire Radeon HD7870 XT WITH BOOST 2GB DDR5 256-bit

SSD Samsung 120GB SATA-III 2.5 inch 840 Series Basic

RAM Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9 Dual Channel Kit

HDD WD 1TB SATA-III 7200 rpm 64MB Caviar Blue

PSU Seasonic M12II-520 Bronze 520W

No overclocking. I got the Red Screen 2 times already:

- 1 time while playing Metro 2033 (the first one of the series)

- 1 time while playing Bioshock (the first one of the series)

It happened while I was already in the game for at least ~2 hours. It's only a red screen. No text. The sound gets stuck during the red screen and few seconds later the computer restarts.

Strange thing is, I've played Witcher 2 EE, Bioshock Infinite, Battlefield 3, CoD Black Ops 2, GTAIV EFLC, all maxed out obviously, and for long period of times (at least 4-5 hours) and everything was fine.

Googled this but could not find any solution. Some additional info regarding my system:

- Windows 8 Pro 64-bit

- Latest Catalyst driver and CCC 13.4 - fresh install, there was no other CCC installed when I built the rig, obviously.

I hope someone here will be able to answer and solve this... don't make me regret going for AMD instead of NVIDIA please

Also, how is this Red Screen affecting my system? How bad is it? It's a shame to have these kind of issues with a brand new rig...

Many thanks in advance!

EDIT: One more thing. Is this the only way to contact AMD support? Do they have any ticketing system or any number I can call for technical support?

Edited: 08/12/2013 at 07:08 PM by AdrianM
 08/13/2013 06:52 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
AdrianM
Peon

Googled a bit more and it seems that temperature monitoring applications can cause this... someone made reference to HWMonitor which I actually have installed on my PC.

Uninstalled it to see if there is any improvement.

If I think of it... I actually did not have HWMonitor installed when I played Witcher 2, Bioshock Infinite and Battlefield 3... and coincidentally or not, the red screen did not occur during those games...

I'll keep you informed. Any other suggestions are welcome.

Statistics
87600 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 9 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.