Topic Title: Fighting BSOD's, frequent freezes, and crashes with a NEW Radeo 6790
Topic Summary: Help with above please?
Created On: 08/19/2013 04:22 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/19/2013 04:22 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
imneo88
Peon

I have recently just purchased 2 XFX Radeon 6790 graphics cards for a completely new system I had built and keep getting BSOD's, system hangs, and crashes. 

The info is as follows:

System 1: 

Intel I7 960 - NOT OVERCLOCKED on an MSI X58 Pro Mainboard

12GB (4x3 chips) of Micron DDR-1600 - running at default timings set by the mainboard

A new certified 550watt P.S.

And finally the XFX Radeon 6790 with the single 6 pin power connector 

System 2: 

Intel I7 960 - Not overclocked on an Intel DX850G mainboard

12GB (4x3 chips) of DDR3-1333 running at DDR-1066 (max the mainboard will allow)

Corsair 850 Watt P.S. (Certified)

And finally, again, the Radeon XFX 6790 Graphics card. 

I've tried everything within my "playbook" as an ex-system builder to resolve this problem myself, including re-installing the entire O.S. 

I've tried both Windows Vista64 Business N and Windows 7 Ultimate and get the same results: When I try to do anything involving graphics, the more intensive the graphics are.. the quicker it freezes, or blacks out.. sometimes with Navy Blue Lines? 

I've heard some talk about memory timings, etc.. but don't know enough about that.. and don't see why that's "reasonable" to expect the average PC user to "re-time" their PC memory to work with this card? 

Just wanted to add one thing.  My system builder, built and ran the first system I mentioned for two weeks with no problem. . But the minute he delivered it, it started freezing. . And the only difference is that I prefer to use a wireless keyboard since the pc is part of my entertainment center. Will try to test soon to see if the wireless transmitter is the cause, if so: it may be an issue with an unknown driver conflict?  Ie: Windows hardware polling? 

HELP PLEASE! 

Thank you! 

-------------------------

Edited: 08/19/2013 at 10:43 PM by imneo88
 08/22/2013 08:07 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
imneo88
Peon

BUG FIX FOUND!!! 

DO NOT INSTALL.. OR USE.. THE ATI HD AUDIO DRIVER! 

LIVE WITHOUT IT.. IF YOU CAN! 

I had this problem 10 years ago with an ATI All-In-Wonder video card.. and some sort of conflict with an audio driver that caused massive lag and freezes.. so I decided to start disabling each of the audio drivers until I found the cause!! And it was the AUDIO DRIVER for the HDMI AUDIO OUTPUT on the card that it MAKES FREEZE UP! 

-------------------------
Statistics
84687 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.