Topic Title: AMD 13.8 beta, driver / graphic card glitch & can't install 13.4
Topic Summary: Problem with 13.8 beta - unable to uninstall and reinstall 13.4
Created On: 09/02/2013 09:28 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/02/2013 09:28 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
ABBDVD
Peon

Hi,

I recently updated from AMD driver 12.xx to 13.8 beta. I choose the 13.8 beta as they have bug fixes for Final Fantasy xiv.

This causes apparently major problems with dual screens though:
When I press keyboard keys or click with my mouse (especially when changing browser tabs / to different programs / minimizing, etc) and sometimes also just randomly, I get some kind of 'glitch' which is kind of a bar (taking up whole width, only part of the screen height) that shows for a split second some part of the screen at the wrong place. This happens mostly on the bottom of my 2nd (not primary) screen but also on the main screen - sometimes also at other positions. It doesn't happen when I'm in games playing with windowed borderless mode (haven't tried other modes) and not when having only 1 screen activated.
So I thought this might just be an issue with the driver and uninstalled by uninstalling the "AMD Catalyst Install Manager" using the Express Mode. After restart I installed 13.4 which requires another restart. When booting with 13.4 freshly insalled I get a BSOD (while the windows symbol is displayed before the login screen) which is displayed for a split second before the computer restarts itself and boots in the Windows start up aid. I used system restore to get my computer booted with 13.8 again.
I tried again by using the AMD cleanup utility to uninstall the program and also by removing recent .Net 4.5 updates which I thought might be involved. Always the same issue.

I also looked for the error log but didn't find anything else then a "critical Kernel-Power error" with event id 41 but no bugcheckcode (0), no bugcheck parameter or any other information.

Does anyone have an idea how I could possibly fix this glitch? Is it a driver issue at all?
I currently see the option to uninstall again and try install an older driver (for example newest 12.xx) but don't really know what else could help and I would prefer to get 13.8 running if possible.

Any assistance / advice is welcome - sorry for the wall of text.

Short system information:
I have an XFX HD 5850 black edition and use MSI Afterburner to control my fan.

Thanks a lot!

Regards
ABBDVD

PS: Don't have a system restore point from before installing 13.8 anymore :S

09/02/2013 09:32 AM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Without netframework 4.5, CCC will not install.

Please read the sticky "Read Before Posting".
http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=440&threadid=160417&enterthread=y

Please supply the following:
    ( Please don't paste dxdiag )

1. Processor (I5-xxxx, A10-xxxx, etc)
2. Graphics card (HD6970, HD4850, Mobility, etc)
3. OS (Win7, Win8, WinXP, 32 or 64bit, etc)
4. Catalyst version (13.2, 12.10, etc)
5. Power Supply..list make and model and wattage
6. RAM
7. Did your computer come with the OS (upgraded?) and Graphics card (previous card?) you have now?
8. Monitor resolution (native), connected by (DVI, HDMI, etc)

-------------------------

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

09/02/2013 10:21 AM

Author Icon
ABBDVD
Peon

Sorry I didn't follow the "Read Before Posting" but it's actually not sticked to the top for me (Imgur link to screenshot). Or am I overlooking it?

Concerning .Net - good to know but it actually did install 13.4 but failed to boot after rebooting. So either I didn't remove it all or the installer installed .NET 4.5 / failed to check it.

Also I have 13.8 beta running with .Net 4.5 installed (and all windows updates which were found) and that's what has the issue. And I tried reinstalling 13.4 with .Net 4.5 too.

Anyway using the "sticky" template:

Graphics Card
HD 5850 XFX black edition (CCC says ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series)

AMD Catalyst Driver Version, and Driver History
currently 13.8
previously 12.xx (don't know which one)
attempted to install 13.4 which failed 

Operating System
Win7 64 bit service pack 1

Issue Details
Occurs only with dual screen after I updated from 12.xx to 13.8 beta:
When I press keyboard keys or click with my mouse (especially when changing browser tabs / to different programs / minimizing, etc) and sometimes also just randomly, I get some kind of 'glitch' which is kind of a bar (taking up whole width, only part of the screen height) that shows for a split second some part of the screen at the wrong place. This happens mostly on the bottom of my 2nd (not primary) screen but also on the main screen - sometimes also at other positions. It doesn't happen when I'm in games playing with windowed borderless mode (haven't tried other modes) or with only 1 screen activated.

Motherboard or System Make & Model
Gigabyte X58A-UD3R (custom built computer nearly 3,5 years ago)

Power Supply

be quiet! Straight Power E7-700W
http://www.bequiet.com/en/powersupply/33

Display Device(s) and Connection(s) Used
2x Acer V223HQBmd, 21.5" Wide TFT, conneted with DVI-D
direct cable from GPU to monitor

Applications and Games

Google Chrome, Firefox, Windows explorer, etc

CPU Details
Intel Core i7 930 (quad core, 8 threads)
overclocked a little bit by setting multiplier to x22 -> runs ~2968 MHz (2,8GHz is default)
worked stable since setting it this way ~3 years ago

Motherboard BIOS Version
Brand: Award Software International, Inc.
Version F1
Date: 12/28/2009

System Memory Type & Amount
Kingston ValueRAM, 3x4 GB, DDR3-1333 placed in the MB triple channel

Additional Hardware
boot drive: Samsung SSD 830Series 128GB
hard drives: 2x Samsung HD103SJ, F3 (1 GB HD)
optical drive: Samsung SAM-SH-S223L/RSMN
6 case fans
unbranded memory card reader (with USB, SD, etc)

Additional Details
So I thought this might just be an issue with the driver and uninstalled by uninstalling the "AMD Catalyst Install Manager" using the Express Mode. After restart I installed 13.4 which requires another restart. When booting with 13.4 freshly insalled I get a BSOD (while the windows symbol is displayed before the login screen) which is displayed for a split second before the computer restarts itself and boots in the Windows start up aid. I used system restore to get my computer booted with 13.8 again.
I tried again by using the AMD cleanup utility to uninstall the program and also (in another attempt) by removing recent .Net 4.5 updates which I thought might be involved. Always the same issue.

I also looked for the error log but didn't find anything else then a "critical Kernel-Power error" with event id 41 but no bugcheckcode (0), no bugcheck parameter or any other information.

PS: Thanks for your quick reply

Edited: 09/02/2013 at 10:36 AM by ABBDVD
Statistics
85396 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.