Topic Title: HD5970 freeze with driver loading
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09/17/2013 03:09 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/17/2013 03:09 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
cpinfdp
Peon

I actually tried to submit a warranty request, however, that page doesn't seem to function properly, but anyway...

My situation:  Two 5970s (Cards A and B) - computer will freeze when Card B is installed in computer.

Computer:

Core i7-3930k (not overclocked)

16gb Corsair Dominator memory (not overclocked, on stock voltage)

Windows 8 64-bit (clean install)

Catalyst 13.10 Beta installed

Details:

I have enjoyed using both of these cards in a Crossfire X setup before, but starting a few months back, I had issues with Card B.

It started after transitioning from an old core i7-920 setup to this current machine.  When installed in the new machine, I noticed windows would either not load (previous Windows 7 installation - be stuck on Windows loading screen) or would freeze when it had gotten to the login screen or Desktop (this new Windows 8 installation).

I have tried multiple configurations of both Card A and B, just Card A and just Card B in three different computers with at least 4 different OS's (Windows 7 - 64 bit, Windows 8 Pro - 64 bit and Ubuntu 12.10/13.4).

In any situation where Card B (actually a Diamond branded card) is in the computer, whenever any AMD driver is loaded (regardless of OS), the computer will freeze.  I can boot into Safe Mode or when the AMD drivers are uninstalled, but after installing Catalyst drivers, I have the same issue.

I actually have also tried a few different versions of Catalyst drivers, so I have essentially ruled out driver issues.

I am concerned that there is physically something wrong with my card, possibly damage incurred during moving from one system to the second that I now cannot use this card.  

I welcome all other suggestions to diagnose the specific problem, but otherwise I was hoping someone from AMD support could help me with what my options on servicing or replacing this card might be.  It is likely out of warranty (purchased May of 2010), however, I feel like it may still be salvageable and may be worth the effort to repair?  Thank you for your help.

P.S.  I have talked to Diamond service, they requested I contact AMD as they feel it is a hardware issue and all of their cards are just rebranded OEM anyway.

09/17/2013 05:24 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

It is possible something in the card went bad, Diamond isn't exactly a great manufacturer, actually the worst OEM of AMD cards right now. Servicing and repair are pretty much not an option, and it is past the 2 year warranty period Diamond has. If in multiple setups problems only arise with the Diamond card, I would say it is faulty. Might want to take the opportunity to upgrade, I haven't regretted it one bit going from my HD 5970 to this 7970.

-------------------------
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
Statistics
84198 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 11 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.