Topic Title: HD 6670
Topic Summary: Getting BSoD when updating my Graphics software
Created On: 09/24/2013 06:46 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/24/2013 06:46 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
ChrisFox
Peon

Hello, a couple months ago I purchased a new Graphics Driver Radeon HD 6670 and a New power supply to support it. Upon recently trying to update the software I received a BSoD when it got to the update for HDMI Audio Driver. When I exclude this from the update list it simply fails to update the Display Driver and in the Report it gives me after it lists my Driver as being the on-board 3000 series that came with my computer (Or at least I assume, it is under 'primary' in the file).

Here are some specs, I can also provide the DxDiag and Report file if needed.

Updating from: 12.1 (This is the version listed on the disk that came with the product from Diamond Multimedia) to the latest version 13.9

CPU:AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 220 Processor

Power Supply: HX650W Corsair Professional Series

I hope you can help me, I really like AMD and thier line of products and wish to continue using them.

Edited: 09/26/2013 at 07:14 AM by ChrisFox
 09/26/2013 01:19 PM

Author Icon
PW
Peon

Hello,

I just had a not dissimilar problem with FSX.

Try uninstall, clean up registry and reinstall Catalist v13.4.

In a nutshell...  I had been using FSX and FS2004 with HD6670 card on Windows 7 64 bit and getting my best ever on screen graphics with typically 30fps even with UK2000 Scenery Extreme airport and Horizon GenX photo scenery with most scenery settings at maximum or high resolution.

Not used FSX for several weeks then this week reacted to email announcing Catalyst v13.9 was available and I updated. (I had previously updated not that long ago to the previous version but not sure which.)

Used FSX yesterday and whenever the menu options were touched it crashed with Fatal Error 2057. Quick search suggested full screen mode Restart was initially successful but progressively got worse. Today FSX would open into the setup windows, load the flight but only display a blank black screen, sometimes with the sound effects audible.

Called AMD who suggested try version 13.4 - which appears_emphasise!_appears to have had the desired effect except I have not yet got the graphics to the quality I had previously. (I have not yet remembered where to get the AMD FSX profile from or reinstated my tweaked cfg file).

I hope this helps a little.

09/26/2013 01:22 PM

Author Icon
PW
Peon

Opps... edit:

I should have said - Quick search suggested full screen mode was affected and that using 'windowed mode' might cure it, which initially it did.

09/26/2013 04:43 PM

Author Icon
ChrisFox
Peon

Uninstalling and reinstalling doesn't work, I haven't tried uinstalling and clean up registry not sure how to do that and I am also not sure what an FSX is... I am really hoping I don't have to buy a whole new graphics card, I wouldn't be very happy, I don't have the money for that. Also windowed mode? Btw thanks for your comment.

09/26/2013 04:51 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Stack Smasher

There is a post in the FAQ ..."How to uninstall and install graphics drivers."

http://forums.amd.com/game/categories.cfm?catid=444&flcache=7192088&entercat=y

-------------------------

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit *Gateway HD2401 24" 2ms 1920x1200  ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit  

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

09/26/2013 04:54 PM

Author Icon
ChrisFox
Peon

Wait, so should I uninstall my on-board driver's software? I have it disabled I was told not to uninstall it.

09/26/2013 05:15 PM

Author Icon
ChrisFox
Peon

My onboard graphics is an AMD 3000 according to my computer, it's an ASUS computer.

09/26/2013 05:17 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Stack Smasher

Originally posted by: ChrisFox Wait, so should I uninstall my on-board driver's software? I have it disabled I was told not to uninstall it.

I don't know what you mean? Try disabling the IGP in the bios. Then install the AMD drivers. If you have Windows 7, use the AMD removal tool first...as mentioned in the FAQ link.

And if it were me, I would try the 13.10 beta. The 13.9 seems to be giving a problem to some users.

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit *Gateway HD2401 24" 2ms 1920x1200  ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit  

09/26/2013 05:22 PM

Author Icon
ChrisFox
Peon

Well I looked it up when I first got the new card, I read, and was told by people I know and trust, not to uninstall the software assossiated with the graphics card that is a part of my motherboard, but to instead disable it, which I have done via device manager. But I'm going to follow your advice and see if it works. Thank you for your help, I'll comment after I've done it.

09/26/2013 05:25 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Stack Smasher

Originally posted by: ChrisFox Wait, so should I uninstall my on-board driver's software? I have it disabled I was told not to uninstall it.

I was refering to this statement. I didn't see/read anybody suggest that.

09/26/2013 05:42 PM

Author Icon
ChrisFox
Peon

Okay, sorry. Yeah, no-one here said that, I only came here upon noticing the problem, I didn't know AMD had a forum when I first got my new graphics card from them.

09/26/2013 05:57 PM

Author Icon
PW
Peon

Hello,

Since I wrote earlier I have pretty much returned FSX to the impressive graphics I had before updating to Catalyst ver 13.9 (I am now using ver 13.4).

First thing to say is; if you have contacted AMD Technical Support I recommend tyou follow their advice and bypass my suggestions below. Second thing is; I am virtually certainly that you will not need to buy any new hardware.

What I suggest you consider doing is pretty straight forward - I hope you might find it not too daunting or difficult.

(Registry utilities these days are pretty reliable. Other people should feel free to jump in with their comments if appropriate!)

The process I did ... in simple steps ... was:

Uninstall the present Catalyst software (the driver for the graphics card and associated software e.g. the high definition audio for a HDMI connection). Using either the AMD uninstaller utility or another method such as the Windows software uninstaller in Control Panel, or CrapCleaner, or JetClean.

(When I used the AMD unistaller utility earlier it did not leave anything behind.) If you use something else or think it necessary then use something like CrapCleaner or JetClean to check the registry just in case there are any left over items which may conflict with the 'new' installation.

Reboot the PC. (The screen display will appear pretty basic whilst there is no dedicated graphics driver and it will look better when there is.)

Install the Catalyst version 13.4. (I stronlg suggest you simply accept the default options but make sure you select the "custom install" option to be sure all parts are included). Reboot the PC as prompted after the install.

Try FSX.

(I use two or three freeware utilities, e.g. JetClean and JetBoost to stop unwanted programs taking resources and maximise the available RAM on the PC whilst I play(!?!) on the flight sim. I also disconnect the internet /network link and stop the antivirus too but I do not use any online addons).

Let me know if I should explain in more detail about what I suggest you consider doing and where to get the software utilities I mentioned. Do not hesitate to ask for more help either here or by contacting AMD Tech Support.

Don't be put off if something appears complicated, ask anything about even the simpliest things - there are many people around who will help you to sort out this or other problems.

(If you do then please give some basic details about your PC specification - in some cases it may influence what is suggested.)

09/26/2013 06:12 PM

Author Icon
ChrisFox
Peon

Yeah, I just uninstalled with the utility and followed the steps and tried to install 13.9 and it BSoD'd, going to try with 13.4.

09/26/2013 06:26 PM

Author Icon
ChrisFox
Peon

Okay, so with 13.4 no BSoD, but it fails to install.Also I didn't see an option to contact AMD's support, only saw a link to this forum...

Okay, so I just checked in Device manager, it did try to install the update to the on-board graphics, how do I stop this? I didn't even think it would be possible to do that....

Edited: 09/26/2013 at 07:22 PM by ChrisFox
 09/26/2013 07:52 PM

Author Icon
ChrisFox
Peon

Sorry to be such a pain. I managed to install the updates by uninstalling the 3000 driver (it reappears on restart though...) but the HDMI audio driver fails to install, I use headphones instead of speakers, might that be why?

09/27/2013 06:18 AM

Author Icon
PW
Peon

Hello,

I am a bit pressed for time this morning and I am not quite sure what you have and have not been able to do regarding uninstalling and reinstalling.

I have sent you a private message with AMD Tech Support telephone number. May I suggest you give them a call and I am confident they will be able to talk you through what needs doing.

Otherwise feel free to send me a private message exlaining where you are upto and we can take it from there...?

10/01/2013 08:20 AM

Author Icon
PW
Peon

As explained I now use 13.4 and have FSX running in either windowed mode or my preferred full screen mode.

I think the on screen graphics and fluid 40 or more frames per second are the best I have ever seen from my modest system.

I now presume you too have solved the problem with Catalyst 13.9 and FSX.

Statistics
81033 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.