Topic Title: Need help...Windows 7 Aero effects have been turned off
Topic Summary: After I installed the 13.10 beta2 drivers I have no way of turning on transparency for Aero.
Created On: 10/17/2013 04:02 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/17/2013 04:02 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
TechnoBill
Peon

I was excited to install the AMD 13.10 beta 2 drivers on a Radeon 6950 Windows 7 setup so I could see what the difference would be for Battlefield 4. I was somewhat worried during the installation by a "driver not signed" warning, but continued on with the process believing that it was because the driver was still beta and not certified yet.

Up until this point I have not had a single issue with my Windows 7 install, and have kept up-to-date with the AMD drivers.

However, much to my chagrin, after I installed the beta drivers I have no way of turning on transparency for Aero.

Also, I've noticed that the windows desktop is no longer accelerated; significant tearing while scrolling browser windows occurs, and it seems like it's being rendered by the CPU instead of the GPU.

Battlefield 4 plays fine though, windowed 3D games (Starmade for example) work just fine as well.

I have tried multiple auto-fix helpers, checked my power settings (even though it's a desktop), tried uninstalling the beta and rolling back to the previous drivers, used system restore points (unfortunately don't have a restore point before the beta), driver cleaners, reg-fixes, Aero-forcers, system file verification...everything except for a windows OS reinstallation. I've clean-booted, made sure dwm.exe is running, restarted uxsms, and looked through every forum I can find to try to see what the hell could possibly be going on.

I'm currently running v13.9 released, but still have the issue. 

The Microsoft Fix-It utility (from the Windows Support site) runs through the diagnosis and reports back that my video card does not support Aero, although when I run the Windows Experience Index benchmark it comes back with a Aero score of 7.8. The build-in Aero troubleshooter finds no problems with the card or drivers. This is so confusing!

I have access to all Aero themes in Personalization, and everything other than transparency and acceleration are working when I switch between Basic and Aero modes. The checkmark for Transparency is not available when looking at the Window Color option. This is despite that all related services for Aero are enabled and running.

Is there a file in windows which can be missed by all of these checks and fixes but which if corrupted or of the incorrect version will make windows Aero not work?

Has anyone ever been able to fix this problem without reinstalling Windows?

Thanks in advance for whatever help you can give!

Edited: 10/17/2013 at 04:18 PM by TechnoBill
Statistics
81034 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.