Topic Title: Black border after win 8.1 upgrade & Catalyst won't install
Topic Summary: After installing windows 8 sp1 my computer rebooted with a black frame aditionnaly Catalyst won't install
Created On: 10/18/2013 01:06 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/18/2013 01:06 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
goob
Peon

Hi,

I just upgraded today to Windows 8.1. After the reboot, my computer restarted with a black box/frame. This frame disapears when I lower the resolution, but I have found no way to make it disappear in full HD resolution.

I've seen in some forums that people solved this issue doing some tweaking on the catalyst control panel. However when I try to install it, the instalation fails with a not-at-all clarifiying error: "Instalación de la aplicación: ¡Fallo en la instalación del paquete!" ("Aplication install: Failure in package intallation!"). After it, the only thing that gets installed is the HDMI sound driver.

I have followed all the steps in the "**STICKY** | Troubleshooting Common AMD Catalyst Driver Install Issues". Uninstall, install net framework 4 (not needed in win8), and install again.

I have checked in the device administrator of the control panel: the GPU driver shown is the last non-beta-version (13.150). But without the catalyst utility I cannot do the necessary tweaking to get rid of the black borders.

I've tried to install catalyst versions 13.9, 13.4 (the one I had before) and the last beta.

Is someone having the same issues? Does anyone knows a way to solve this?

Thank you in advanced,

------

System info:

HP pavillion p6 sold with AMD Radeon HD 7500 GPU
Windows 8 SP 1 64 bits
Radeon driver: 13.150 

Edited: 10/18/2013 at 01:19 PM by goob
 10/18/2013 01:32 PM

Author Icon
goob
Peon

This is a desktop so the FAQ for mobility doesn't apply

I've checked and they are still offering the april version of the drivers. As for any desktop product, I expect driver updates to come directly from AMD.

Edited: 10/18/2013 at 01:42 PM by goob
 10/18/2013 01:43 PM

Author Icon
Marc@AMD
Forum Moderator

The specific issue of black borders simply sounds like the 'very-easy-fix' of adjusting scaling in the Catalyst Control Center.  Scaling options is available only to those displays running native resolution, and over HDMI cable connection.

What is the specific display connected, and exactly how is it connected?

I do recognize that we need to resolve the driver install first, however.  What particular P6 HP desktop system do you have?  I would like to look up its specifications online.

;Marc

-------------------------

AMD Customer Care

The information presented in this document is for informational purposes only and may contain technical inaccuracies, omissions and typographical errors. Links to third party sites are for convenience only, and no endorsement is implied.

10/18/2013 01:52 PM

Author Icon
goob
Peon

I'm using a pavillion p6-2306es which comes with the following specifications:

• Motherborard: Joshua-H61-uATX (Joshua)
  • Processor: Intel Core i5 3350P
  • Memory: 6GB DDR3-1600
  • Graphics: Eyefinity Radeon HD7570

For the monitor I'm using a Phillips 246V5 (24 inches) connected using HDMI.

Thanks

10/18/2013 02:02 PM

Author Icon
Lucky1
Peon

Hello All...Have an HP system with the same video card.  after upgrade this am, exact same problem.Windows 8-64 to 8.112 GB RAMVizio 32" Monitor
 10/18/2013 03:08 PM

Author Icon
Marc@AMD
Forum Moderator

Okay. So indeed your black-border issue can very likely be resolved (once you have access to CCC) by adjusting "Scaling Options." Just drag the slider to compensate for the border.  Easy.

You're certainly not the first to upgrade to 8.1 today and get this issue, actually. That's the feedback I am hearing from the agents doing e-Tickets and Phone Support in the office.  The best I can really suggest is a complete, and thorough uninstall/install (use sticky thread) to try and clear out everything (as best we can) for the old driver before installing the latest driver.  I would just stick with Catalyst 13.11 Beta as the driver to install.

I have seen in other threads the suggestion of doing a "Windows 8 refresh."  Not sure if that is like a 'system restore', but consider trying that if the uninstall/install does not work.

;Marc

AMD Customer Care

The information presented in this document is for informational purposes only and may contain technical inaccuracies, omissions and typographical errors. Links to third party sites are for convenience only, and no endorsement is implied.

10/18/2013 03:15 PM

Author Icon
goob
Peon

Already done all that. Tried with beta and non-beta versions and I'm losing 2 inches of my screeen...

If it can been solved using catalyst, it has something to do with ATI/AMD.

10/18/2013 03:23 PM

Author Icon
Marc@AMD
Forum Moderator

I am not sure you follow what I am suggesting.  I'm almost positive you can solve the issue by adjusting the slider in our software - Catalyst Control Center.  The problem is, you can't open it right?  If that's correct then you need to resolve why it won't open.  You have 2 issues it would appear, but you can solve one without first resolving the other.

I would suggest that around 90% of the time, CCC won't open because of a corrupt driver uninstall/install, and or things like .NET being corrupted. The sticky thread on uninstall/install instructions should take care of that.  The remaining 10% of the cases end up being something else - but it's probably only like 1% of the time an issue with our software/driver package.  Meaning, it is probably something related to your OS that is corrupt.  The one suggestion I gave - and others may support - is trying the Windows 8 Refresh option (I think it is called).  After all, you just upgraded the OS and the problem started.

;Marc

AMD Customer Care

10/18/2013 03:55 PM

Author Icon
WMudrockJr
Overclocker

Did your HP come with Windows 8 or was it can upgrade. I had some wierd stuff with mine after upgrading to Win 8 from 7. I did a refresh with Win 8 and all the wierdness went away. 

If you have Win 8 disk try it, otherwise the 8.1 does not install over your Win 8, it install a clean copy as well.

AMD A10-5800K, XFX 7850 Ultra OC Edition 975MHz, 16GB RAM, Win 8.1 Pro 64 bit, MSI 7778 motherboard, 500W PSU, HP P7-1235, CCC 13.12 WHQL

10/18/2013 04:24 PM

Author Icon
goob
Peon

It came with win 8.

I tried the sky with the installing/ uninstalling issues. Install, delete files, assure you have the net framework. Please correct me if you are refering to other stiky

A refresh is a radical option which forces me to reinstall most applications and drivers and it means ~10 hours work. I'd rather avoid doint this. Plus other people already reported this might not solve the issue.

If other people are having the same proble, it is hard for me to believe that that many win8 systems got corrupt. But ok, it's Microsoft, they are not known for being particularly bugless. However, before blaming others I think AMD should look into it, but I don't have the actual numbver of people who are encountering this problem

10/18/2013 04:29 PM

Author Icon
Marc@AMD
Forum Moderator

Catalyst 13.11 Beta supported Windows 8.1 prior to your upgrade to 8.1 last night.  If it was an issue with our Catalyst Suite, then it would stand to reason that people with 8.1 (from clean installs of 8.1 and upgrades from 8) would be experiencing the issue of CCC not opening.  That is not case - given that we are not seeing reports of that.

Windows 8.1 was officially launched/released last night.  Right?  So it stands to reason that as many more people upgrade with the official launch they'll encounter driver install issues.  The sticky thread instructions are as thorough as we can go to make sure all past driver files are removed.  If that does not work, hopefully the community can come through with another work-around other than the Windows 8 Refresh option.

;Marc

AMD Customer Care

10/19/2013 08:11 AM

Author Icon
goob
Peon

When I refresh windows 8.1, it rolls back to windows 8, and there the driver works. However, if I intall again windows 8.1 and try to instal catalysis the installer ends "sucessfully" but the destination folder is empty!

I've checkd when I run the installer that I choose the appropiate folder, and that all 5 items are checked using the custom install.

This is a refreshed windows 8 copy just upgraded to win 8.1. Clearly the catalyst installer is not working properly. I have tried with both the last non-beta and the last beta versions of your installer.

Is there anyway this can be looked into? It is not possible that a system sold only 10 months ago is not going to be compatible already.

------

This is log I get:

Administrador de instalación Catalyst™
Informe de instalación
10/19/13 14:03:00

Información de hardware

Nombre AMD Radeon Graphics Processor
Fabricante Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
ID del dispositivo 0x675d
ID del proveedor 0x1002
Código de clase 0x030000
ID de revisión 0x00
ID de subsistema 0x90bd
ID de proveedor de subsistema 0x1b0a
Otro hardware
Paquetes existentes
AMD Administrador de instalación Catalyst
AMD APP SDK Runtime
Controlador de Audio HDMI
HydraVision
Catalyst Control Center
Paquetes para instalación
AMD Administrador de instalación Catalyst
Estado final: Éxito
Versión del elemento: 8.0.915.0
Tamaño: 20 Mbytes
Controlador de Audio HDMI
Estado final: Éxito
Versión del elemento: 9.0.0.9902
Tamaño: 1 Mbytes

Otros dispositivos detectados

Fabricante Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
ID del dispositivo 0xaa90
ID del proveedor 0x1002
Código de clase 0x040300
ID de revisión 0x00
ID de subsistema 0xaa90
ID de proveedor de subsistema 0x1b0a

Mensajes de error

10/19/2013 09:42 PM

Author Icon
WMudrockJr
Overclocker

Well my system came with Windows 7, I upgraded to Windows 8 and now Windows 8.1. I did the upgrade after having used 13.9 since it release under Windows 8 and I have no issues going to 8.1, so there has to be something else in the equation as to your issues.

After the Refresh that set you back to Windows 8, you should have done a Windows 8 update to bring your system back todate. Then installed the CCC package 13.9 WHQL. Then do the upgrade to 8.1, which should give you a stable system.

AMD A10-5800K, XFX 7850 Ultra OC Edition 975MHz, 16GB RAM, Win 8.1 Pro 64 bit, MSI 7778 motherboard, 500W PSU, HP P7-1235, CCC 13.12 WHQL

10/20/2013 01:47 PM

Author Icon
goob
Peon

And that was exactly what I did: Refresh 8.1 back to 8.0 -> Update 8.0 to 8.1 (bblack borders appear again)-> tried to install CCC and failed

Now the only thinh I can think of doing is to install CCC+drivers before the update and see if they are ok after when I install 8.1.

I'm completely clueless and running out of ideas...

10/20/2013 08:09 PM

Author Icon
WMudrockJr
Overclocker

I ran with 13.9 under Windows 8 for several weeks and then when 8.1 came out I updated to just Windows 8.1. I didn't do anything more.

11/07/2013 03:34 AM

Author Icon
akaiten
Peon

It seems that I have the same issue, but on Window 7. I have HD7870 video card and Samsung S27C500 monitor connected through HDMI cable. The picture doesn't fit all the screen. There is 1" black frame around it. If I switch to buil-in Intel HD graphics, everything is OK.

11/07/2013 12:56 PM

Author Icon
zmanzander
Peon

Wanted to see if there were any updates on this issue. I am running a 7420M and, after updating to 8.1, I was given the black border issue. Tried running CCC to address the issue with overscan but was unable to open, install, uninstall or repair the AMD installer. Tried using sticky note suggestions to repair and was unsuccessful (it was unable to uninstall all parts of the AMD installer). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

11/07/2013 10:06 PM

Author Icon
edmeehan
Peon

I am having the same issue with an 8.1 upgrade. Can't install CCC to fix the black border. The driver install seems to work, and there was even a windows update with the latest driver. I have tried uninstall all video software and drivers and reinstalling still get the same error. I tried to attach the image of my error on this forum but that does not work as well, even tried from two computers with a .jpg and .png.

This is a very annoying issue because Microsoft says this is a AMD issue, and seems like AMD is saying this is a Microsoft issue.

11/09/2013 02:53 AM

Author Icon
akaiten
Peon

I've solved my issue:

1) go to AMD Catalyst Control Center

2) My Digital Flat-Panels

3) Scaling Options (Digital Flat-Panel)

4) Select 0% Overscan

God knows, why it was nitiallly set to 10%

11/11/2013 01:53 PM

Author Icon
zmanzander
Peon

Good to hear. I am still having a problem because I am not even able to install/repair/change AMD CCC. Any help on removal / reinstall?

Statistics
86399 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 4 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.