Topic Title: Black border after win 8.1 upgrade & Catalyst won't install
Topic Summary: After installing windows 8 sp1 my computer rebooted with a black frame aditionnaly Catalyst won't install
Created On: 10/18/2013 01:06 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/11/2013 08:45 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
akaiten
Peon

OK, what happens when you try to install/uninstall CCC? Any error message?

11/12/2013 01:12 PM

Author Icon
zmanzander
Peon

I dont get an error message. I go through the AMD Installer process and try to install CCC but am never prompted to reboot. When trying to then uninstall all the AMD items, Im only allowed to uninstall some HDMI control that was installed, not the CCC. This has only happened on one of our computers; the rest of them were successful in installing the CCC and adjusting overscan.

11/12/2013 01:50 PM

Author Icon
akaiten
Peon

Check Windows Event Log for errors. Try to use Drier Sweeper.

11/19/2013 06:23 PM

Author Icon
LogicalSpock
Peon

That's it! After years and years with Radeons I'm switching to GeForce. When I upgraded from Windows 7 to 8 on my HD 5750 Desktop, I got these black bars. I could never get full CCC options to allow me to adjust the screen. No CCC driver pack would ever install, but hang somewhere during the install process. I had to run the Microsoft supplied video driver. Only the DigitalHDTVDefaultUnderscan registry fix got rid of the black bars, so I lived with it over the last 2 years.

Today I upgrade to Windows 8.1 and ta-da!, the black border is back. Text is crazy blurry. Of course the current 8.1 64-bit AMD driver pack still freezes during the install process. I was able to have the driver pack uninstall my limited function CCC and drivers, but it still won't reinstall. Still freezes during the install, so I have no CCC at all. And that DigitalHDTVDefaultUnderscan registry fix doesn't eliminate the border on this 8.1, like it did with 8.0.

There's no excuse for this. Goodbye!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161309

-------------------------

Edited: 11/20/2013 at 02:26 PM by LogicalSpock
 11/20/2013 02:16 PM

Author Icon
LogicalSpock
Peon

After my previous rant yesterday I ordered a GeForce GT 630 from Amazon to replace my HIS HD 5750 which had the black frame and failed to accept any AMD provided driver updates after both the Windows 8.0 and 8.1 upgrades. I received the GT 630 today and I'm pleased to report the new GT 630 immediately booted in perfect glorious frameless edge-to-edge full screen and accepted the current driver download without a hitch. No need to go into any settings and adjust the screen size to fit. Perfect picture.

Something is not right if a preset 1080 output has a large black border on a 1080 monitor and you have to go into the CCC to adjust it to fit. I'm just saying.

-------------------------
 06/16/2014 10:43 AM

Author Icon
ahyes
Peon

This bug doesn't just affect windows users either. Using AMD's proprietary driver on Linux causes this bug to pop up as well. Using the HD7770 card and a S27C500 monitor, I wasn't able to use the entirety of my monitor until I switched from amd's fglrx driver to the generic vesa driver.

It's absolute crap that AMD has not resolved this bug since it was reported nearly 7 months ago. I'll be buying an nv card to replace this card today.

Statistics
87423 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.