Topic Title: Multiple screens Radeon HD 7870
Topic Summary: Cannot connect a 4th or 5th screen
Created On: 10/25/2013 11:41 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/25/2013 11:41 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
ttm666
Peon

Screen 1: Dell U2711(DP) @ 2560x1440 (DisplayPort)

Screen 2: Philips 272C4 @ 2560x1440 (DVI)

Screen 3: Fujitsu Siemens AMILO LSL 3260W @ 1920x1200 (DVI)

These three screens work fine at the max resolution.

Any screen I try to connect to the additional HDMI or DisplayPort refuses to work. Can't "enable" it in Control Panel -> Screen Resolution - it's visible, but shaded gray and cannot be enabled. The screen I'm connecting has HDMI output (its a 22 inch 1920x1080 res) - so I've tried HDMI to HDMI, but also HDMI to DP adapter - same result. This card just refuses to handle more than 3 screens - and in the documentation they claim to support 5! 

Motherboard/CPU/RAM: ASUS Z9PE-D8 WS/dual Xeon E5-2609/ 32GB DDR3 SDTRAM

Any help/input much appreciated.

Thanks.

--

Thomas

10/25/2013 03:51 PM

Author Icon
George@AMD
Nerfed

It looks like you may have too many legacy connections which is why you are able to detect the HDMI connection but not able to activate it. There is a maximum of two legacy connections then the rest must be active. As you already have two DVI connections that is considered legacy then you must make the 4th monitor an ACTIVE connection.

In your situation I would go ACTIVE DP from the video card to HDMI to your display using an adapter.

Legacy:

DVI

VGA

HDMI

Here is a link to recommended adapters.

http://support.amd.com/es-xl/recommended/eyefinity-adapters

-------------------------

AMD Customer Care
The information presented in this document is for informational purposes only and may contain technical inaccuracies, omissions and typographical errors. Links to third party sites are for convenience only, and no endorsement is implied

10/25/2013 04:59 PM

Author Icon
ttm666
Peon

Brilliant, thanks for this.

The Philips screen sports a DisplayPort input, so if I understand you correctly, I should be able to connect my 27" monitors to the two DP connectors, and the the two smaller monitors to the legacy connectors.

Can I ask - in the specifications (http://www.amd.com/US/PRODUCTS/DESKTOP/GRAPHICS/7000/7870/Pages/radeon-7870.aspx#3) it claims to support up to 6 displays. Given the restriction you mention re legacy connections - does this mean you have to use one or two displayport hubs to drive 4 screens from the DP connector - in addition to 2 using the legacy connectors?

Thanks.

--

Thomas

10/28/2013 10:10 AM

Author Icon
George@AMD
Nerfed

That is correct the chip does support 6 displays. You would need to look into getting an MST hub in order to do more displays as your connections are limited. At this time I am not sure if they are in the market yet. From what I’ve seen Club 3D had these MST hubs. But you would need to look into it.

If you are really keen on getting a 6 monitor set up I would recommend looking into getting a Radeon HD 7870 eyefinity 6 edition card.  This card would have the 6 outputs you would need.

-------------------------

AMD Customer Care
The information presented in this document is for informational purposes only and may contain technical inaccuracies, omissions and typographical errors. Links to third party sites are for convenience only, and no endorsement is implied

10/30/2013 06:47 AM

Author Icon
ttm666
Peon

Originally posted by: George@AMD

That is correct the chip does support 6 displays. You would need to look into getting an MST hub in order to do more displays as your connections are limited. At this time I am not sure if they are in the market yet. From what I’ve seen Club 3D had these MST hubs. But you would need to look into it.

I have seen those - will probably retail for $100-$150 each. Another alternative is to daisy chain monitors from the DP connectors - as long as the monitors (and the card off course) support daisychaining - I think maybe only my Philips monitor does, and I'm not sure about the card.

If you are really keen on getting a 6 monitor set up I would recommend looking into getting a Radeon HD 7870 eyefinity 6 edition card.  This card would have the 6 outputs you would need.

I don't understand why I need to buy another card for connecting 6 displays - I already have a card that claims to support 6 displays. Another issue with even that card (I think), is the need for active DP adapters for legacy monitors (HDMI and/or DVI). I think there will still be a limitation re how many legace connections are supported (i.e. passive adapters).

For the time being I'm using a cheap dual-monitor card for 2 of my displays, and I'm awaiting a DP<->miniDP cable in order to connect both the 27"s to DP on the 7870 card. With 2 DP monitors and 2 legacy (DVI and HDMI) on the 7870, I will get a 6 monitor setup - much cheaper than buying a new card with 6 DP connectors. I won't get Eyefinity, but I don't need it. I just need the monitors to work independantly.

Thanks.

Statistics
85473 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.