Topic Title: Black Screen Crash plaguing R9 290/290x users.
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/09/2013 07:32 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/09/2013 07:32 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
flAMeD
Peon

One thing putting me off buying an R9 right now (not the less than stellar cooler ) is the fact that many users are reporting black screen crashes hard locking their pc's, an issue they were not having prior to installing the R9.

See:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?s=429f06c7ae61716a785d78d617a66b52&t=1789166

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=383104

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/forum/threadview/2955065218069487298/1/

http://www.overclock.net/t/1436497/official-amd-r9-290x-290-owners-club/3760

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?p=25275435

Lots of people RMA'ing them.

Can this be fixed with a driver or are lots of people getting defective hardware?

11/10/2013 08:28 PM

Author Icon
HairRazor
Peon

Thats a great question! Is the hardware defective or is it a driver problem? I have a black screen prob as well, BUT my system does not lock up, it takes a while for the screens to come back to life;; but all three screens go black one at a time then it might have 2 come on then they turn off again, and then they might finally come back to where I can use the computer again... is anyone else getting this? Has anyone tried waitting to see if there computer comes back to life or do they automaticlly hard reset it via PSU??? My system does not lock up or crash but I am getting black screens once in a while with both sapphire disk drivers and CCC 13.11 beta drivers... so I dont know if this is driver or hardware related problems.. answers from AMD would be nice, I dont wanna go though the process of RMA but I will... speaking of which how do I do that with newegg I have never had to RMA anything?

11/10/2013 08:33 PM

Author Icon
HairRazor
Peon

Also how do you find out what kinda ram is on your GPU I have the sapphire R9 290.. do I have the Elpedia RAM? how would I find this out?

11/11/2013 07:42 AM

Author Icon
flAMeD
Peon

Originally posted by: HairRazor Also how do you find out what kinda ram is on your GPU I have the sapphire R9 290.. do I have the Elpedia RAM? how would I find this out?

It seems there is a vram lottery with all current 290/x. You could have either.

There is a tool to identify the vram posted by Falkentyne on the overclock.net  thread. Sorry don't have time to post now. Will put a link here later when I get home.

11/11/2013 11:09 AM

Author Icon
HairRazor
Peon

Thanks! I seen on some fourm someone said they was getting black screens as well, and they uninstalled the dirvers and went into the registery and got rid of everything GPU related as well and then reinstalled btea drivers and his prob went away I did the same gonna test now to see if thats true.

11/11/2013 11:29 AM

Author Icon
HairRazor
Peon

so far im not getting a black screen, but now as before im getting like a screen shutoff then a USB like disconnect noise.. and sometimes my monitor will say something like not connected but when I lat tab outta the game it comes back  and then sometimes it will go black again real quick and make the usb disconnect noise. I wonder what that is all about..

11/11/2013 12:05 PM

Author Icon
pete910
Peon

Personally not suffering from this. Tis a bit confusing as some i've read are having to reboot.

Mine is a VTX3D BF eddition card, stock clocks are 1030 gpu.

I havent overclocked mine or messed with bios. Only thing I have done is set fan speed to 55%.

Know idea what memeory is in it. will find out later.

Edit : It's Hynix Memory stock clock is 1250

Edited: 11/12/2013 at 10:47 AM by pete910
 11/11/2013 03:16 PM

Author Icon
flAMeD
Peon

Here is that memory tool.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/voj4j1rlk0ucfz4/MemoryInfo+1005.rar

Credit: Falkentyne

Originally posted by: HairRazor so far im not getting a black screen, but now as before im getting like a screen shutoff then a USB like disconnect noise.. and sometimes my monitor will say something like not connected but when I lat tab outta the game it comes back  and then sometimes it will go black again real quick and make the usb disconnect noise. I wonder what that is all about..

Windows makes that sound upon device detection not just USB.

It sounds like it's briefly losing connection to the display.

Others have reported that when the black screen occurs to switch output on the graphics card and the display comes back, others have not been able to and forced to reset or kill psu.

11/11/2013 03:23 PM

Author Icon
HairRazor
Peon

Thank you kindly for the ram tool, most of my probs seem to have vannished atm  accept that one instant of the usb noise and the screen going off, I did a clean uninstall of all ATI drivers even in registry and then did clean install of betas and seems to be working smoother now. I will keep you all updated on if things get worse or better or stay the same. thanks again ^_^

01/01/2014 02:33 AM

Author Icon
Carandiru
Peon

Yeah AMD should I RMA or what? Am I only going to get replacement that does the same thing? Is there a compatibility problem with PCI express 2.0 or some motherboards? I found the switch on both card switched from quiet to uber same results. Jacked fan speed up using MSI Afterburner tempo stay less than 73 both cards.... Not overheating. 

Why is it a little more stable when I downclock my memory from 1250 to 1200 Mhz? 

Please give us a response AMD! 

01/21/2014 11:06 PM

Author Icon
webdiy
Peon

Originally posted by: flAMeD One thing putting me off buying an R9 right now (not the less than stellar cooler ) is the fact that many users are reporting black screen crashes hard locking their pc's, an issue they were not having prior to installing the R9.

See:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?s=429f06c7ae61716a785d78d617a66b52&t=1789166

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=383104

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/forum/threadview/2955065218069487298/1/

http://www.overclock.net/t/1436497/official-amd-r9-290x-290-owners-club/3760

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?p=25275435

Lots of people RMA'ing them.

Can this be fixed with a driver or are lots of people getting defective hardware?

My SAPPHIRE R9 290 WAS also plagued by the Black SOD, however after a lot of mucking around with every aspect of my system (PSU, CPU, OVERCLOCKING, TEMPERATURES, DRIVERS, OS's etc...etc..) I discovered that I eliminated the problem competely, just before I decided to RMA.

HOW?

1. I uninstalled ALL Radeon and AMD software.

2. I installed ONLY the drivers (GPU and HDMI audio) supplied with the 290 

After this I did some testing, ran Far Cry 3 at max settings and had complete system stability so....

3. I installed Sapphire TRIXX utility to OC and am running the 290 OC'd at 1150mhz and hovering in the mid to high 60 degrees celcius, Playing Far Cry 3 maxed out and so far not a single crash.

It doesnt seem to make any difference to this issue no matter what your system specs are, but this is what fixed my problem, hope it helps someone else out there.

01/22/2014 09:15 AM

Author Icon
buttons
Peon

I have seen this happened with my r9 290s a few times.  Generally it was wrong mining settings or clock speeds that caused it for me.  They have been mining rock solid past two weeks without one hiccup though.  i learned once you get it working, just leave it alone -- its not worth an extra 20kh for instabilty and qwerks.  

-------------------------
3 r9 270x, 4 r9 290x, 5830, 5870, 6870 = 5200kh

I <3 AMD!
 01/23/2014 09:45 AM

Author Icon
webdiy
Peon

Originally posted by: buttons I have seen this happened with my r9 290s a few times.  Generally it was wrong mining settings or clock speeds that caused it for me.  They have been mining rock solid past two weeks without one hiccup though.  i learned once you get it working, just leave it alone -- its not worth an extra 20kh for instabilty and qwerks.  

This thread is for gamers, so unless you're talking about mining minecraft blocks or mining in 7 days to die (or some other mining game) you might need to visit a bitcoin thread, thanks for your 2 coins though. 

03/01/2014 01:59 AM

Author Icon
Z3r03557
Peon

Yes I had Gigabyte 290 OC Windforce model with the 3 fans and Elpida ram.

Had a reallly bad time of it. Trying to diagnose the fault was hard. I replaced the PSU to give me more power (from 500W to 1100W on one 12V 90A rail). Also unplugged most of the ram, case fans, peripherals etc.

There were a few possible other sources that totally weren't the issue, such as slightly bulging caps over my motherboard memory (it's been like that for years tho). So I didn't discount anything else from being the fault, such as the motherboard being 7 years old and unable to carry enough charge over the PCI-E slot etc. However previously i've had the 7950 plugged in.

The issue continued after PSU upgrade.

1.) Flickering lines on bootup (I use DVI) once the graphics driver is initialised.

2.) Large black blocks (indicates GPU memory issue) on windows and driver would stop start.

3.) Card won't run 3DMark 2012 (or is it 2013) Fire storm with powertune -40%, core -40% and if fan is on auto ("Uber" switched turned on). HOWEVER I could get it to run with fan on max.

4.) Card won't run 3DMark 2012 Fire storm if fan is on auto ("Uber" switched turned on). HOWEVER I could get it to run with fan on max. Card Appeared to get much lower score than my 7950. (2000 versus 4000 IIRC)

3D mark appears to stop at the section where it's filling up GPU memory etc.

5.) Powering off and on the machine after it got hot resulted in "Hypertransport flood" on bootup windows (it could be misdiagnosed as a driver bug, but this is not the case after trying it for a long time) would crash and reset PC.

Issue appears to get worse with graphics card temperature.

6.) Took it back to company I purchased it from. After some time running the card and they rebooted, it said a PSU surge was detected (they did not receive the hypertransport flood message.. could be different variants of the same thing where newer motherboards have better diagnostics on the hypertransport bus) and rebooting caused issue 5.)

Didn't play around much with memory clocks but did notice that flickering continued regardless of memory clocks

Have tried catalyst 13.12, 14.1 beta (latest one) and 14.2 beta.

Very much doubt it's a driver issue because of 5.) and 6.)

Therefore it could be VRM issue or memory heat issue or both.

I don't have a great understanding of graphic card design, however it sounds like a Voltage Regulation (heat related?!) issue as increasing the intensity in a mining software slowly was able to reach really high amounts. Only after I rebooted did the machine stop.

Not buying AMD again, at least test the cards before sending them out.

Edited: 03/01/2014 at 02:19 AM by Z3r03557
 03/02/2014 09:25 AM

Author Icon
j4t1nd3r
Peon

Setup:

CPU: I5 2500K Stock settings

GPU: Gigabyte r9 290 (Elpdia Memory) Catalyst 14.2

MB: MSI Z77A-G43 Latest BIOS

PSU: 650W

Issues:

1) On switching on PC blackscreen 1 out of 4 times. USB Keyboard doesn't light up have to reboot system and then boots normally.

2) BF4, (only occurs on Mantle) screen freezes, monitor turns off (I beleive), looping sound. Can alt tab to desktop sometimes to kill the game.

Happens within 5 minutes of being ingame.

Had an error message once relevent to DX Ref and API. 

Also have had a full crash requiring a full reboot.

3) Thief, on intro level game crashes at random points suffers same fate as BF4, freeze, loop sound can alt tab to end game.

No error message

Happens within 5 minutes of being ingame.

Other games no crashes such as:

League of Legends

Outlast

Will attempt further troubleshooting if asked and other checks. I am a nerd and have a background in technical support.

edit:

Fixed issue in thief. Enabled over drive, changed no settings except fan settings from the default to 65% Thief no longer crashes but the fan is pretty loud. I will lower it over time to find the sweet spot.

Not tried BF4 yet. So since my GPU is overheating at default clock settings and default fan settings does this mean it falls under RMA or did I screw myself by enabling overdrive to attempt a workaround?

Edited: 03/02/2014 at 07:31 PM by j4t1nd3r
 03/03/2014 07:59 AM

Author Icon
guy66
Peon

You need to check the minimum system requirement for the card. Your 500w psu was way under spec for the 290X and could have casued all your problems in the first place, including damaging the card!

I run a Gigabyte R290 with a 800W PSU, Windows 7, with updated 14.2 Beta drivers and now have no problems what so ever. Plenty of issues with 13.12 and 14.1 before but all fixed now - last five days with no issues, no crashes, running swarm  as a test bed/stress test. BF4 no problems, windows no issues. When you build and support your own systems you need patience and the abiltiy to read requirements!

03/04/2014 10:34 AM

Author Icon
Z3r03557
Peon

I had my 7950 on 500W power supply for ages, there's no issues except it powers off if you ask for too much power. Reduced the power limit by -20% and it runs fine in even the most graphic intensive games. In this case I had the R9 290 on -45% power limit and would still fault.

The PSU actually turns the machine off in an over power condition. This is exactly the same as turning your PC on and off and would not damage the card.

The fact that on the 1100W PSU this card will run almost fine with the fan at full speed indicates that one of the components on this card is sensitive to heat, possibly the VRM or some memory controller part.

Edited: 03/04/2014 at 10:55 AM by Z3r03557
Statistics
80925 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.