Topic Title: 290X issues AMD DONT IGNORE US!
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/17/2013 08:53 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Previous Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/18/2013 04:04 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
mikexx
Peon

Originally posted by: MyMedia59
Originally posted by: flAMeD
Originally posted by: MyMedia59
Originally posted by: mikexx     

...We may expect that 'out of the box' a new graphiccard works like it should. ....

These (quality) times are long gone not only for AMD.. hence my comment is very valid!

It's not like this is a completely new architecture though so what are they playing at?

yes, that's why you're a beta tester when you shoudn't

You only talk crap AMD should be shame themselfs promoting hardware that out of the box doesnt work? nothing but LOL, but iam sick of this just another unhappy customer and another rma for them.

Where are the amd exployees on this forum? no response? bad card bad customer support just like i thought allready, their cpu's are ***** compared to intel and now there gpu's. 

To hot, no support iam going to rma this piece of sh*t.

Edited: 11/18/2013 at 04:15 PM by mikexx
 11/18/2013 04:57 PM

Author Icon
Marc@AMD
Forum Moderator

mikexx, there are a number of threads already existing on this forum where I have stated that AMD is well aware of a few issues with these products and we're working towards a solution.  The issue described in this thread is one of them.  As I know more information (of what information I am allowed to share) I will share it.

There is no purpose to you cluttering the forum with posts that offer no constructive input and use unacceptable language.  The Forum's Terms and Conditions also state that this is a User to User Forum, supported by the community. It is NOT an official means of AMD support.  I am here to moderate the forum, and I do the best I can to provide help where I can.

;Marc

-------------------------

AMD Customer Care

The information presented in this document is for informational purposes only and may contain technical inaccuracies, omissions and typographical errors. Links to third party sites are for convenience only, and no endorsement is implied.

11/18/2013 05:45 PM

Author Icon
mikexx
Peon

Hello Marc, well finally someone responds!

All we wanted to know is that if amd is working on a sollution and sometimes someone needs to stand up and use 'unacceptable language' in order to get some information.

Thanks allready!

11/18/2013 05:57 PM

Author Icon
mistakenot
Peon

Hey everyone, I have had a similar problem but it seems to have gone away.

System: 2600 i7, Vector SSD, 16gb ram, Dell 30" and used to have 570GTX SLI now replaced with 290x.

Intially putting the card in my system went without a hitch or so I had thought.  It turns out it would run any game I played execpt Guild Wars 2.  After a week fault finding GW2 I decided to take out the card and put back in a single GTX.  Straight away the game played without any issues at all.  I then took out the GTX and put back in my 290x.  Yes, I did do a full uninstall of the drivers before swapping the cards both times.

On boot I now couldn't get into windows, I would get the initial Windows 8 splash screen but when I should be able to log in, all I got was a blank black screen.  After rebooting a few times with no luck I then put but GTX back in and it booted straight away.  I found this very very odd.  Why did the card work before and not now?  So I swapped it out again, reset the bios to default and tried again.  I still got a black screen on boot into windows. 

Finally I swapped it to the 2nd PCIE slot and booted it up....it made it into windows.  I installed the drivers then shut it down again.  Swapped the card back into the primary slot and started up again.  This time it went straight into Windows.

Wow is now the only game that is giving me trouble.  GW2 is running correctly again and so are the rest of the games I play.  Wow is giving me 15FPS with everything maxed.  I used to get higher than that with SLI.  What gives?  

Hopefully these black screens might be related to bios and drivers?  Regardless it is extremely annoying and has wasted alot of time.  

AMD please do something to fix this type of behaviour.  I was really hoping for a nice experience in buying the flagship product ;( it makes me wish I had gone Nvidia again.

11/18/2013 06:02 PM

Author Icon
jjjsong
Peon

While I'm glad the issue seems to have been fixed for you, it may not.

Sometimes the bsod or black screen doesn't happen for days then all of a sudden it's back.  So hopefully you've been having a stable system for at least a few days or a week otherwise I wouldn't be so sure.

But regardless, good luck and hopefully it really is fixed.

11/19/2013 12:00 AM

Author Icon
renco
Peon

If your just surfing the net everything is fine, its when the gpu is under heavy load and gets hot all of a sudden black screen and lock up. Can still here the sound for a few seconds after after the screen goes black. so annoying happen me like 10 times today with XFX R9 290x.

Feel like putting my GTX570 back in till this is fixed.My first AMD card and im not happy

11/19/2013 01:40 AM

Author Icon
fakedante
Peon

It's early days but I think my problem may have been rectified with new ram and a motherboard. My new board uses the 970 north bridge chipset where as the old one used 760. What mobo/ram do you all run?

11/19/2013 03:37 AM

Author Icon
unixdude
Peon

Hi,

I have 3 different machines and the result is the same on all 3 with an XFX R9 290X black screen on BF4, COD Ghosts, Bioshock Infinite, at completely random times. Using windows generally is fine and watching videos etc the black screen issues only occurs in games which are very GPU intensive.

GA-Z68X-UD5-B3 with 16GB DDR3 Corsair Vengance RAM

ASUS ROG Maximus V1 Hero 16GB DDR3 Corsair Vengance RAM

GA-Z87X-OC 16GB DDR3 Corsair Vengance RAM

I've tried the card in all three of the above and the results are the same for me so I doubt if it is related to the motherboard or RAM and is either GFX hardware or driver related I am more inclined to believe this is GFX hardware related.

11/19/2013 07:18 AM

Author Icon
kilrathiace
Peon

sapphiretech

Quote:
2013-11-19 [03:35]

We have been getting reports on this issue, we are check and waiting for AMD's instructions, we will provide feed back once we do.

I already RMA my card and it cost me a lot since I ordered mine from canada and I live in USA, the place I ordered mine from is testing new card before they send out replacement so at least there is hope but this situation is really horrible, I wasted 3 days of my vacation on something that AMD qa should of tested and ensure there are no issues with these new cards.

All I can say is that if you have black screen issues dont bother exploring how you can fix it just RMA the card and keep RMAing the cards until you get one that works, eventually AMD will notice all the returns they will have no choice.

11/19/2013 08:48 AM

Author Icon
Marc@AMD
Forum Moderator

Originally posted by: mikexx All we wanted to know is that if amd is working on a sollution and sometimes someone needs to stand up and use 'unacceptable language' in order to get some information.

That is what I try to do on the forums, and it is one thing I have noticed time and again. Communication is key.  That's why I am always pushing on my end to get as much information as possible so that I can share with the community.

As for your comment about using unacceptable language - I could not disagree more.

;Marc

AMD Customer Care

The information presented in this document is for informational purposes only and may contain technical inaccuracies, omissions and typographical errors. Links to third party sites are for convenience only, and no endorsement is implied.

11/19/2013 12:58 PM

Author Icon
mikexx
Peon

Originally posted by: Marc@AMD
Originally posted by: mikexx All we wanted to know is that if amd is working on a sollution and sometimes someone needs to stand up and use 'unacceptable language' in order to get some information.

That is what I try to do on the forums, and it is one thing I have noticed time and again. Communication is key.  That's why I am always pushing on my end to get as much information as possible so that I can share with the community. As for your comment about using unacceptable language - I could not disagree more.

;Marc

Just for youre interest about 'unacceptable language'
All the people who are having issues and i think i speak for about 95% of them 'releasing a premium 500$ card wich doesnt work out of the box is pretty unacceptable'

Mike

11/19/2013 01:20 PM

Author Icon
Marc@AMD
Forum Moderator

Trust me.  I understand your frustration and where the 'unacceptable language' is coming from.  You just mistake that as an excuse for it. 

I let enough of the less savoury language slip, because I know it helps (in some degree) to convey sentiment, but at the end of the day a level of professionalism must reside on the forums. 

We're getting off topic, however.  I'm not here to hand out life-lessons.   

AMD Customer Care

11/19/2013 01:33 PM

Author Icon
unixdude
Peon

Originally posted by: mikexx
Originally posted by: Marc@AMD

That is what I try to do on the forums, and it is one thing I have noticed time and again. Communication is key.  That's why I am always pushing on my end to get as much information as possible so that I can share with the community. As for your comment about using unacceptable language - I could not disagree more.  

;Marc  

Just for youre interest about 'unacceptable language' All the people who are having issues and i think i speak for about 95% of them 'releasing a premium 500$ card wich doesnt work out of the box is pretty unacceptable'

Mike

Mike I am in a similar situation to you I have only had the card in my hands since last Thursday and only installed it on Saturday. There is no point getting worked up over it as the card will be covered by warranty provided you haven't done anything to invalidate that ( manufacturer dependent). Relax let AMD investigate and either come out with a fix if it is driver related or if it is hardware related let them instruct the partners on how to proceed i.e. replace the problematic cards if it is Epida Vram related as it appears to be a the moment.

Bare in mind they need to be 100% sure that they identify the cause and the solution they provide is going to work. This takes time to test. The only thing I think AMD need to do is be much better at providing updates on what they suspect the issue is as that is the irritating part - lack of communication.

Edited: 11/19/2013 at 02:47 PM by unixdude
 11/19/2013 02:09 PM

Author Icon
kilrathiace
Peon

Thats a good advice unixdude, just remember this kind of quality testing and assurance that should of been done *before* releasing latest flagship card onto the market, remember this is holiday season so maybe it was pushed fast to get it available in time for xmas shopping not sure.

11/19/2013 02:44 PM

Author Icon
unixdude
Peon

Could not agree more and hopefully AMD learn from it - I see this sort of thing far to often in my line of work and AMD are not the only ones guilty of releasing products without adequate testing.

11/19/2013 04:24 PM

Author Icon
mikexx
Peon

I know i react frustrated but i cannot blaim myself.
I know how aftersales and guarantee work and what will happen i just dont understand why AMD doesnt make a statement or atleast let people know whats going on.

This is allready 4 weeks going on and still no sign of AMD doing anything except that 'Marc@AMD' replied 'we're working towards a solution'.

I see this in 2 ways:
1: AMD doesnt say anything and let people guess and hoping noone is going to rma the cards since not all cards are suffering from this, and a future driver update will solve the problem (customers unhappy rma the card get nv and wont go to amd again)
2:  AMD should have said ok we know something is wrong and only a couple of % is suffering from this issue we are looking for a sollution perhaps a driver update or whatever.

By option 2 people would have known and maybe wouldnt blame AMD.
We all know what is hurting a company's image.. lack of communication towards customers.

11/19/2013 04:39 PM

Author Icon
kdawgmaster
Peon

Im going to post here saying that crossfire with these cards have MASSIVE problems that make the drivers crash and then the system apon rebooting will say that their arent drivers installed. Then we must go through the task of reinstalling the drivers to only have 1 or 2 cards pick up. I have 3 cards in crossfire and this is becoming a pain. 

I know none of the cards are defective because they all work by them selves no problems, and i know its not my motherboard because iv used all my PCI-E slots. 

I understand that im a glorified tester at this point but for you guys to be taking so long and for each driver release focusing on things that arent being pointed out ( performance ) is just plain stupid. 

Profiles for crossfire and stuff ( even tho i have crossfire ) should be coming afterwards as priorities need to be directed to the stabilities of the drivers them self. 

this is just a list of things ive noticed.

1. black screen ( dosnt happen often for me )

2. with drivers 13.11 beta 9.2V fans dont spin up fast enough on R9 290x

3. drivers crash and dont respond after start up, resulting in reinstall to not have crossfire cards being picked up.

4. System hard locks. again tested card indivdually for 1 day and not a problem. only thing i can say crossfire problems again.

this is just the short list of things i find most pressing and need to be addressed because if I see 1 driver with performance enhansments to games before fixing the major problems im returning the cards and sadly going with nvidia because ive been dealing with this for almost a month now which is just sad.

Tri-Fire R9 290x 2560X1440
Game benchmarker
Benchmarking youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/kdawgmaster?feature=mhum
 11/19/2013 04:46 PM

Author Icon
kilrathiace
Peon

Something was just released for 290 cards by amd

Catalyst Software Suite

241 MB

11/18/2013

Download

Description:

Supported Products:
             AMD Radeon™ R9 290 Series

http://www2.ati.com/drivers/amd_catalyst_13.11_r9_290_whql.exe

11/19/2013 04:46 PM

Author Icon
jjjsong
Peon

I wonder if my BSOD issues are the same as the black screen issues.

So far I've never had black screen lockups but just BSODs.

11/19/2013 05:55 PM

Author Icon
unixdude
Peon

Ok I've installed this new driver and something has deffo changed - normally where I used to get blackscreens it now seems to flicker on and off as though the driver has crashed. I can actually CTRL + ALT + DELETE to bring up the windows menu and launch task manager which minimise my games and the PC seems to recover now instead of crashing with a black screen. I can then go back in to BF4 and carry on play. Just played for two 30 min rounds and not a single crash where normally I would crash after 20 minutes max. 

Edit:

Just going to test out COD Ghosts as that will always crash within 10 mins for me.

Update - So far no crash - going to try BF4 again to make sure that wasn't a fluke.

Update - 4 rounds and no crash when the screen went black three times it seems to have recovered. This could be a fluke or something has changed in the above driver.

Edited: 11/19/2013 at 06:36 PM by unixdude
AMD Support and Game » AMD Radeon™ Graphics » 290X issues AMD DONT IGNORE US!

<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Previous Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
84099 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 5 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.