Topic Title: 290X issues AMD DONT IGNORE US!
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/17/2013 08:53 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 4 5 6 7 8 9 Previous Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/15/2014 03:21 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
shadowdr
Peon

I hope that no one here is expecting that a driver update will fix the issues you are having. Most of the cards that are experiencing problems are due to binning and bios issues. If you are here you probably have a high leakage GPU. There isn't much that can be done about that, it shouldn't have been put into production and probably should be RMA'ed. It is going to require a much better cooler than stock to compete with the better binned GPU's and will still use more watts than the better chips. I would be willing to bet that most of these GPU's have 72 % or higher ASIC quality.

The other problem is the memory latency, also incoded in the bios. The guys that wrote MS DOS must have written the bios for these cards. The stock configuration is probably causing thousands of memory errors a minute that eventually cascade int black screens or crashes on high leakage cards. If you have tried any mining at all you will note that your card is way below the hash rate of other identical cards. If you have been to the litecoin forums you know that a member there has actually fixed the memory problems to acheive higher hash rates with as much as 20% improvment in memory function. This is good for mining but he also disables ROP's, bad for gaming. Now, if he can do it, why doesn't AMD?

I think that it is just number crunching and lazyness. Keep in mind that they are almost entirely reference cards or based on the reference design. After market manufactured cards can write their own bios and using the work done on mining bios's can actually have a good card even using Elpida memory. These problems will work themselves out as later production chips will always be better and memory issue will be fixed in later products.

This is like a car maker that knows about a defect but leaves it in, knowing that the lawsuites will cost less than actually fixing the defect. The problem with this aproach is that it is mostly loyal AMD users that purchased the early reference cards. They are the reason that AMD has stayed in buisness and they are getting screwed.

Unless AMD releases a new bios that at least fixes the poor memory controller (which they won't) I will be returning the AMD systems that I have ordered to build for others and reorder Intel, Nvidia. I have been building overclocked systems for freinds, family and customers since 1998, all AMD. IMHO, we are not being ignored, we are just expendable as customers.

-------------------------
No matter where you go, there you are
 02/15/2014 09:48 PM

Author Icon
deathcrush87
Grinding Levels

well lads,

i happily RMAd my asus r9 290x and am waiting for a full refund.

will go for a gtx 780 as soon as possible.

bye AMD!

i wont be your customer anymore.

adios!

AMD FX8350//Corsair vengeance DDR3 CL9 8GB@1600//Asus ROG Crosshair V Formula z//Asus R9 290X oc DCII//Corsair CX750//Razer Lycosa//Corsair M30//Zalman Z11 plus case//Kingston 120gb SSD//Yamaha Audiogram6//Windows 8.1 64bit//

02/16/2014 03:34 PM

Author Icon
lukas108
Peon

Can somebody tell that this is hardware or software problem? Should we wait for drivers update or send the card to retailer? I'm loosing my patient.

AMD Phenom x4 965 BE, MSI Radeon R9 290 Gaming 4G, 16 GB RAM DDR3, 1 SSD + 5 HDD, WIndows 7 64bit
 02/16/2014 04:59 PM

Author Icon
deathcrush87
Grinding Levels

dear Lukas,

what is the difference to you?

common sense plus what i browsed over the web says its the hardware, as software side would be addressed really quick.

r9 series run hot and noisy, ppl get black screens, other issues, do you need more evidence to RMA your card?

AMD FX8350//Corsair vengeance DDR3 CL9 8GB@1600//Asus ROG Crosshair V Formula z//Asus R9 290X oc DCII//Corsair CX750//Razer Lycosa//Corsair M30//Zalman Z11 plus case//Kingston 120gb SSD//Yamaha Audiogram6//Windows 8.1 64bit//

02/16/2014 05:17 PM

Author Icon
lukas108
Peon

Originally posted by: deathcrush87 dear Lukas,

what is the difference to you?

common sense plus what i browsed over the web says its the hardware, as software side would be addressed really quick.

r9 series run hot and noisy, ppl get black screens, other issues, do you need more evidence to RMA your card?

Ok , maybe you're right.

But we still didn't get any official statement from AMD, and we can't be sure for a 100%. Of course If this is hardware problem it does not make sense to wait and the only way is get the card back. But, when this is software problem i can wait some time and be sure that in the future it will work. I don't want Geforce.

AMD Phenom x4 965 BE, MSI Radeon R9 290 Gaming 4G, 16 GB RAM DDR3, 1 SSD + 5 HDD, WIndows 7 64bit

Edited: 02/17/2014 at 03:06 AM by lukas108
 02/17/2014 08:39 AM

Author Icon
guy66
Peon

This forum is not a fault reporting mechanism for AMD - raise an official support ticket if you need direct AMD help. Remember that the cards are made by several approved vendors and you should in the first instance go to the card manufacture directly.

I run a Gigabyte R290 OC card with 14.1r1.6beta drivers and no Black screens. Able to game all day and night if I desire. Mentle has boosted the frames by 20% so very happy so far. 

I do have / did have BSOD on the amd driver related to Chrome and flash - Recently followed one fix to replace an amd sys driver in Windows/system32 and this almost stopped the BSOD. Two days ago installed Chrome Beta and now NO BSOD at all. 

02/20/2014 08:13 AM

Author Icon
lukas108
Peon

Sent to RMA. Will see. 

02/22/2014 03:49 PM

Author Icon
TRock
Peon

if you can send your card to rma and get a replacement , than you are lucky.

I sent mine to RMA , and they just sent it back to me , cause they were unable to find the error (how am i supposed to show them the black screen if it happens random, it can happen after 90 mins).

Some of us are just stuck with this card. Maybe a bios update will solve it.

02/22/2014 07:07 PM

Author Icon
deathcrush87
Grinding Levels

they tried to do the same thing with me, but;

1) i captured the problem on a video recording device so they couldnt call me a liar

2) the problem was so severe that i couldnt even boot the windows at all so they couldnt ignore it

3) i threatened to take legal action as of "distance selling regulations" and that i immidiately tested the card the same day i received it and i didnt hesitate to contact them about my issues the day after, effectively didnt wait for AMD's official statement killing time...

i will receive my refund next week.

good luck with yours.

02/22/2014 10:16 PM

Author Icon
TRock
Peon

Originally posted by: deathcrush87 they tried to do the same thing with me, but;

1) i captured the problem on a video recording device so they couldnt call me a liar

I tried that, they didn't even respond the email.

2) the problem was so severe that i couldnt even boot the windows at all so they couldnt ignore it

This is the problem.

Black Screens happen mostly after 90minutes which is interesting. If this is indeed a hardware problem why doesn't it happen within seconds or minutes?

Rarely i get a black screen about 20minutes.

Streaming video from youtube can cause a BSOD. but that seems common and a driver problem.

Sometimes starting the Asus GPU tweak causes a system freeze. Actually this one makes no sense.

My only play is to find a way to provoke the black screens , is there a known way?

02/22/2014 11:12 PM

Author Icon
deathcrush87
Grinding Levels

i have no idea.

your retailer should test the card running a benchmark for at least a few hours, they try to dodge their warranty responsiblities, you should not give up.

02/22/2014 11:37 PM

Author Icon
TRock
Peon

isn't there a way to get information from asus or amd? i mean they must know the details about the problem. I can forward it to local Authorized Asus service?

Kudos to AMD and Asus . They sold me a malfunctioning hardware , and they aren't even providing the proper service.

02/23/2014 07:59 AM

Author Icon
pn3umatic
Peon

This is a bit of a long shot, but are any of you also running Avast anti virus?   On 2 of my machines I was getting BSODs that seemed to be related to video drivers according to BlueScreenView, but turns out it was Avast all along.

Try uninstalling Avast and see if your BSOD goes away.

03/16/2014 12:07 AM

Author Icon
astrix
Peon

I'm running CCC 14.2v3 Mantle on Win 8.1.

I solved my black screen problem by switching to DVI. Pisplay port would give me black screens all the time. Since switching back to DVI they haven't come back at all. Try this guys it looks like the issue might happen with HDMI going off what I can see on these posts but I haven't tried HDMI as it can't do 120Hz.

I am having another issue, I have 2 MSi R9 290x's running Ultra at 130% resolution at 1080P so my internal resolution becomes 2592x1458 it looks amazing so much more details then just ultra, sharper more crisp.

It runs nice at 120-130fps on average at 120Hz but then alfter a few games it starts to lag so baddly. It seems the memory reaches a point and it becomes unplayable, jumping all over the place. Nothing can fix this, changing or downgrading video settings does nothing, once it starts you just have to quit.

It's not my connection as my pings are between 8-15. This only happens on these 290x's.

I stll have my 2 MSi r9 280x's. I used to run the same Ultra settings and was getting average of 70-90fps in crossfire and they would use over 3000mb memory upto 3700mb acording to MSI afterburner and they wouldn't have this memory leak. 

The thing is with the 290x's changing my settings back to Ultra  at 100% resolution doesn't fix it my fps goes upto 170fps but it keeps happening. 

Please look at this AMD!

ASUS Maximus VI Formula -  i7 4770K - H80i -  2x MSI R9 290X's - HyperX 16GB Ram - 250GB + 500GB SSD - Samsung SA950 1920x1080P @120hz - Seasonic 1000w 80 Plus Platnum...

BF4 -Ultra 1920x1080P @ 135% Resolution smashing out avg. 120+fps on Mantle. That's 2592x1458 internal resolution :)

03/17/2014 12:54 PM

Author Icon
bomba
Peon

Mikexx i own a 260x its so facking anoying im getting an nvidai!!!!!!

03/19/2014 12:15 AM

Author Icon
mrfla
Nerfed

Stop whinning and use catalyst 13.12, mantle is still beta and you guys still want to use it, stop using catalyst 14.1-14.2-14.3 seriously, when you read BETA don't use it, even beta games you guys pay and buy theses than start whinning that is full of bugs...yeah right do you know what BETA means???...whatever

03/19/2014 06:47 AM

Author Icon
valzaq
Peon

Hi, i just bought a xfx r9 290 and ive been having the freeze/black screen issue since day 1.

ive read all the forum threads about this i could find, and there is no solution, yesterday i tried with catalyst 14.3 (since none of the previous drivers seems to fix this blatant issue) and no luck still.

i tried downclocking the card to a -10% on both core and memory, whit no luck. the damn thing still crashes at random.

sadly since my country (argentina) has  a current ban to importations i had to buy it on Santiago de Chile. and therefore a RMA is out of question.

i sincerley hope this is a driver issue. there is a lot of angry people in this same scenario.

03/19/2014 06:20 PM

Author Icon
TRock
Peon

Noone knows what the exact cause it, since AMD doesn't release a statement about the issue which is inexcusable for a company this size.

This looks like a hardware issue so far, but even if its a driver issue there is little hope it will be solved with the new drivers . Release notes doesnt mention this problem at all.

04/25/2014 05:50 PM

Author Icon
Bully88
Peon

I have the same problem on a  Asus Radeon R9 280X DirectCU II Top 3GB DDR5 384Bit i see amd just doesn't care about this problem i will just switch to nvidia since this is just to frustrating to deal with.

04/26/2014 01:23 AM

Author Icon
Rhinofart
Peon

You're an idiot if you think all hardware will work absolutely flawlessly all of the time. If you guys would take the time to properly configure your systems, update your drivers, and do the legwork to sort out exactly what's causing your errors, then stop *****ing and moaning about something not working.

Read logs, read event viewer, and the guy above who did some of that where event viewer showed NorthBridge fatal error, update your drivers, and make sure your RAM is working perfectly. North Bridge deals with the PCIe lanes, CPU, and RAM for the majority of things, so you're fairly well zeroed in on what your problem is.

I have installed 2 XFX R9 290x Core Editions into 2 different machines. 1 was a fresh build, and the other one I was replacing my pair of 5970s. and guess what? NO PROBLEMS AT ALL ON EITHER OF THEM. Quit relying on Google, and learn how to properly troubleshoot your stuff.

Bring on the haters!!! Brainless tards.

AMD Support and Game » AMD Radeon™ Graphics » 290X issues AMD DONT IGNORE US!

<< 4 5 6 7 8 9 Previous Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
84853 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 8 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.