Topic Title: 290X issues AMD DONT IGNORE US!
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/17/2013 08:53 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 5 6 7 8 9 10 Previous Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/26/2014 09:09 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
berocent
Peon

any1 had black screens with 14.4 ?

04/26/2014 09:24 PM

Author Icon
QB the Slayer
Master Looter

Originally posted by: Rhinofart You're an idiot if you think all hardware will work absolutely flawlessly all of the time. If you guys would take the time to properly configure your systems, update your drivers, and do the legwork to sort out exactly what's causing your errors, then stop *****ing and moaning about something not working.

Read logs, read event viewer, and the guy above who did some of that where event viewer showed NorthBridge fatal error, update your drivers, and make sure your RAM is working perfectly. North Bridge deals with the PCIe lanes, CPU, and RAM for the majority of things, so you're fairly well zeroed in on what your problem is.

I have installed 2 XFX R9 290x Core Editions into 2 different machines. 1 was a fresh build, and the other one I was replacing my pair of 5970s. and guess what? NO PROBLEMS AT ALL ON EITHER OF THEM. Quit relying on Google, and learn how to properly troubleshoot your stuff.

Bring on the haters!!! Brainless tards.

I love this post!  Thoughts like this go through my head dozens of times a day reading this forum!  Just glad someone voiced what I have always thought and experienced myself.

Originally posted by: berocent any1 had black screens with 14.4 ?

No!

QB

-------------------------

The MONSTER HTPC:

CPU: AMD FX-8350.||.Cooler: Corsair H80i
MB: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD7.||.RAM: 8 GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3 2000MHz (7-10-8-27-1T)
Case: CoolerMaster HAF 932.||.PSU: Corsair HX750
GPU:Asus R9 270X DirectCU II TOP.||.Audio: Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro w/ Logitech Z-5300e (5.1, 280W-RMS)
System Drive: 2xSamsung 840 Pro 128GB RAID0.||.Working Drive: 2xMushkin Chronos 60GB RAID0

04/27/2014 12:20 PM

Author Icon
DigitalFOXX
Peon

Originally posted by: guy66 This forum is not a fault reporting mechanism for AMD - raise an official support ticket if you need direct AMD help. Remember that the cards are made by several approved vendors and you should in the first instance go to the card manufacture directly.

I run a Gigabyte R290 OC card with 14.1r1.6beta drivers and no Black screens. Able to game all day and night if I desire. Mentle has boosted the frames by 20% so very happy so far. 

I do have / did have BSOD on the amd driver related to Chrome and flash - Recently followed one fix to replace an amd sys driver in Windows/system32 and this almost stopped the BSOD. Two days ago installed Chrome Beta and now NO BSOD at all. 

my two "r9 290x Powor color PCS+ " have AMD PCB stamped "AMD"....

only the fans made by Power color were added with radiator...

constant black screen on windows (not in game though)

returning my first and last AMD cards on tomorrow.....

i can't believe that a company can release products which are worth over 500$ and which don't work.... we are in 2014 guys... this is something i can't stand (i feel as if someone had stolen my money, really.... especially i bought these two cards with some money my father left me before he died...)

04/27/2014 01:49 PM

Author Icon
UcouldBrong
Case Modder

Maybe next week I'll put a Lamborghini engine in a Volt.  It is technology that is cutting edge.  Things I'll need:  Chassis,  mounts, starter and ignition processor, cooling, screwdriver...wait a minute...this engine did not come with tfm!

I give up!!  Sending it back.  Those Lamborghini people have no concept or concern for my needs!  How dare they let me buy their product!

Non-noob components.

04/27/2014 09:15 PM

Author Icon
TRock
Peon

I sent the card to RMA second time. And this time service saw the error, and they figured this is a hardware problem , and they are refunding the money.

So all along, it was a hardware problem and nothing on the user side could solve it. They just wasted my time .

04/28/2014 07:45 AM

Author Icon
nikudorei
Peon

People need to learn using BETA drivers means they are BETA testers.

If you had better results with an older driver, uninstall and use that driver. This is cutting edge tech and you should expect problems.

I have a r9 280x, I had some issues with the 14.4 rc (Release CANDIDATE ie: late stage beta possibly contains a large about of code they will use in the stable release) so i went back to an older version of the driver, 13.12. I have no FPS issues and can play the games I well.

Windows 7 x64, 16gb ram, i7 920 @4ghz. 
Sapphire Vapor-X OC 3gb r9 280x 
Now 25 man raiding in WOW @80fps all on ultra. 1920x1080

I think the problem most people here have is using Beta software and OC their gpu and expecting everything to be perfect. It isnt a console. It is a PC. You need a bit of knowledge to play with this stuff

04/28/2014 05:58 PM

Author Icon
TRock
Peon

Early R290/R290X had serious hardware problems , and they were quite common.

There is no point blaming the user or beta drivers.  Some of them maybe user errors, but most was hardware.

04/28/2014 09:05 PM

Author Icon
dfirman
Peon

My Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC still black screens with 14.4, catch is, it only does it on idle and its completely random, i'm yet to see it on load.

I've read hundreds of posts and have literally tried everything. It's not the PSU, have tested it and my old card was fine resuming from sleep and idle.

My C states are off, sleep is off etc. If I leave my PC and come back to it sometimes it will have just locked up with a black screen. I need to power it off and back on. Tried every driver, 13 series and 14 series make no difference. It could be fine for days but 1 in 10 times it might freeze on a black screen, this is enough to annoy me.

I've put it down to faulty card, it's simply not normal and i'm very disappointed with the 290 series.

04/28/2014 11:14 PM

Author Icon
UcouldBrong
Case Modder

Seems there were many readers that said to hold off on buying a "rebrand" component and waiting for the next "generation" cards.

Non-noob components.

04/29/2014 04:47 AM

Author Icon
dfirman
Peon

So an update on idle black screening, this one a little different and can be reproduced consistently...

Just got home from work, tried to turn on PC. Gets to Windows and consistently black screening within 1 minute. I thought, must be Trixx and my overclock. Booted to safe mode, no black screening, uninstalled trixx, rebooted. Same thing. Back to safe mode. Must be display driver I thought.. Decided to disable CCC on startup.. Nno black screen on boot.
So faulty card or faulty drivers or both

EDIT: I managed to get this on video. Have a look... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_h8525zSG0
The only thing I can think of is because of my previous overclock it had Overdrive enabled or it would not apply it on boot. Could there be some sort of glitch or conflict when you are running above the CCC limit of +100mv for an overclock? I had +130mv set in Trixx

EDIT2: Some further headway.. Decided to clear the following folder that maintains CCC settings: C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Local\ATI\ACE
This has fixed the problem... I can now open CCC and boot with NO black screens....
Im fairly certain is has something to do with overdrive, either my VDDC or the fan profiles. When I opened CCC the fans went straight to 100% then black screened. It's possible there was some conflict with CCC and Trixx that has corrupted the profiles...

BTW I am using 14.4 WHQL however I experienced this on 13.12 as well as 14 betas, I just usually wiped the driver and reinstalled.

EDIT3: I've compared the files and the Manifest.xml from when the PC was black screening is completely blank...

Edited: 04/29/2014 at 05:02 AM by dfirman
 05/01/2014 06:25 PM

Author Icon
Kubus
Peon

Got the MSI R9 290 4G and I'm having the same issues.   Exchanged but the issues continue.   Still no resolution from anyone.  AMD needs to get their heads out of their __________

05/02/2014 02:44 AM

Author Icon
UcouldBrong
Case Modder

What do you mean by "same issues"...

...black screen? 

You followed the exact procedures of ALL the posters on THIS subject or are your issues...slightly different?  Wait a minute...YOU exchanged your card and ended up with the SAME issues that you had before!  Those darn card manufacturers and driver teams!!  Hoping they have their heads up their _______ working on MY Watch Dog drivers!

Non-noob components.

05/06/2014 03:26 AM

Author Icon
Quark
Peon

Got the nearly the same Problem with my Radeon r9 290. 

But only when iam using 2 Monitors, when iam using 1 Monitor ive never got a black screen issue. 

thinking of returning the card, when theres soon no driver update

05/07/2014 05:04 AM

Author Icon
ReiszRie
Peon

Originally posted by: Rhinofart You're an idiot if you think all hardware will work absolutely flawlessly all of the time. If you guys would take the time to properly configure your systems, update your drivers, and do the legwork to sort out exactly what's causing your errors, then stop *****ing and moaning about something not working.

Read logs, read event viewer, and the guy above who did some of that where event viewer showed NorthBridge fatal error, update your drivers, and make sure your RAM is working perfectly. North Bridge deals with the PCIe lanes, CPU, and RAM for the majority of things, so you're fairly well zeroed in on what your problem is.

I have installed 2 XFX R9 290x Core Editions into 2 different machines. 1 was a fresh build, and the other one I was replacing my pair of 5970s. and guess what? NO PROBLEMS AT ALL ON EITHER OF THEM. Quit relying on Google, and learn how to properly troubleshoot your stuff.

Oh dear lord of PC, please explain why 3 brand new Radeon R9 280X and 290 cards all caused artifacting, flickering and blackouts but the issue is magically gone once I've switched to a GeForce GTX780 

it doesn't take a genius to reach the conclusion that its the graphics card and not the northbridge, southbride or whatever you're suggesting.

/facepalm  

p.s. "I've leaped off a cliff into the sea and survived, therefore It is impossible that anyone could have died from leaping off a cliff into the sea" - perfect example of a fallacy 

05/07/2014 05:06 AM

Author Icon
ReiszRie
Peon

Originally posted by: nikudorei  This is cutting edge tech and you should expect problems. 

I should totally pay a premium for cutting edge technology that doesn't actually work! yay!

/facepunch, when /facepalm just isn't enough 

05/07/2014 12:15 PM

Author Icon
TypeOverride
Grinding Levels

Originally posted by: MyMedia59 Never buy hardware in its first year of release or you're a beta tester

Like i read all over the web that customers of AMD are always beta testers forever.

Bext week my new graphiccard of AMD goes back to my vendor.

Where is the sense in a graphiccard that is making trouble non stop.

Let us wait 6 month. My pc will get blue screens like before. AMD has not changed and they never will be. AMD is not a solution for graphics.

[Int Core i7-2600K]
[Asus P8P67 EVO]
[2x Corsair D3 4GB 1333-999 XMS]
[750 Watt]
[NEW Sappihre R9 280x Dual-X OC] - Blue Screen by AMD kernel mode driver
[Windows 7 64-bit]

05/07/2014 12:21 PM

Author Icon
TypeOverride
Grinding Levels

Originally posted by: ReiszRie

Oh dear lord of PC, please explain why 3 brand new Radeon R9 280X and 290 cards all caused artifacting, flickering and blackouts but the issue is magically gone once I've switched to a GeForce GTX780  it doesn't take a genius to reach the conclusion that its the graphics card and not the northbridge, southbride or whatever you're suggesting. /facepalm   p.s. "I've leaped off a cliff into the sea and survived, therefore It is impossible that anyone could have died from leaping off a cliff into the sea" - perfect example of a fallacy 

When every graphiccard is not working in your system i would say that the graphiccards you tested are incompatible.

You shouldnt buy new hardware around the graphiccard. You should use a other graphiccard. Maybe a more well enginered graphiccard.

[Int Core i7-2600K]
[Asus P8P67 EVO]
[2x Corsair D3 4GB 1333-999 XMS]
[750 Watt]
[NEW Sappihre R9 280x Dual-X OC] - Blue Screen by AMD kernel mode driver
[Windows 7 64-bit]

05/07/2014 09:34 PM

Author Icon
moozoo
Peon

1 x XFX R9 290X, Gigabyte Z87 OC Force, i7 4770 (no K) - I have black screens during video mode changes after the machine has warmed up. The machine is still running and there is still disk activity. I have a Coolmaster HAF-X case. OS is Windows 8.1 64bit.

Iv'e booted the machine, logged in and then left it over night (downloading). Going into a game then gives an instant black screen.

Nothing appears in the event log.

If I leave it downloading and enable the screen power saving, the machine gets a Deskop Manger error and restarts the desktop manager (i.e. I am logged out when I wake up the screen). The machine does not show a reboot in the eventlog only Deskop Manager errors.

I have had no black screens with my previous card a Gigabyte HD7770 1Ghz

The only thing I've noticed so far is that my motherboard reports the 12 volt rail at 12.05 V even under load. Where as GPU-Z reports 11.75 V idle that drops to 11.6 V under load. I have a Coolmaster Silent Pro Hybrid 1300W. My motherboard has an extra power connected for power coming from the PCIe bus and I have plugged in power there as well.

My frame rates in Wow seem alot lower than I expected. I've set the graphics down to high and while out side the frame rate is 30-50fps. I was expecting higher. Inside looking at a wall the fps is 96. I've never seen it go over 100. In game max fps is set to 200fps. Very rarely wow freezes, but I don't believe this is related to the black screen issue. If I turn on the machine, go into wow, I can play for hours without issue. However on exit the black screen happens upon the exiting video mode change.

If I enable AMD Overdrive (even with default settings) the system is unstable. I had great fun with this when I upgraded from my HD7770 because I had enabled it. I've since then I've removed the AMD drivers and upgraded to the latest 14.4

My next step is to enable the Intel graphics and have GPU-Z running on its screen output so I can see if anything is obverable at the time of a black screen.

Is there any command line utility that can cause the AMD video card driver to force a recover.

Michael

05/08/2014 01:54 AM

Author Icon
UcouldBrong
Case Modder

Do you  have every one of these drivers?

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4484#dl

----------------------------------------------

Version F9 BIOS?

Read tf motherboard user manual?

Non-noob components.

05/09/2014 01:23 AM

Author Icon
moozoo
Peon

Originally posted by: UcouldBrong Do you  have every one of these drivers?

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4484#dl

Version F9 BIOS?

Read tf motherboard user manual?

I have the latest drivers. Gigabyte sometimes lags the latest.
There might have been an Intel Graphics card driver update. I'll check.

The App Center just got an update so I'll check it again.
One problem it seems to have is it doesn't properly detect the version that is installed, if you have installed it outside of the App Center.

Yes F9

I am using default settings, No OC.

I have the manual permanently located next to my monitor and yes I have read everything that I think might be applicable.

I did have other problems with the motherboard board (getting stuck at a LED code 99 during first startup) but after switching SATA cables and BIOS upgrades it went away. When the Z97 boards are out I will probably replace the motherboard with an ASUS z97 board. I would not buy a Gigabyte board again. The Z87 OC Force is still using the Haswell C1 chipset. I only got the Z87X-OC Force because it had 4 xPCIe16 slots (switched) and I had plans of 4 x 290X. I've had so much trouble with this I regret it and will only by a cheap motherboard (dual 8x8 Pcie 16 slots) in future.

Sorry, but I put in my new R9 290X hit this Black Screen problem that I have never seen on any other computer ever, Do a google and find references to the problem all over the place. Where there is smoke there is fire so there must be some common problem.

AMD Support and Game » AMD Radeon™ Graphics » 290X issues AMD DONT IGNORE US!

<< 5 6 7 8 9 10 Previous Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
87442 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 7 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.