Topic Title: Black screen on windows boot until I toggle monitor on/off
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/18/2013 02:36 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/18/2013 02:36 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
bwat47
Peon

I just got a sapphire r9 280x. I'm having a strange problem since installing it though. When I boot my pc I see the bios splash as expected, and then the screen just goes black. I never see the windows boot splash. However windows boots fine; because once I toggle the power on my monitor on/off the windows login screen shows right up and everything works fine. This didn't happen with my previous card (amd 6950).

After power-cycling the monitor after boot everything works 100% fine, its very strange :/

When I got the new card I first completely uninstalled the amd drivers, rebooted the pc, shut down the PC, installed the new card, and then installed the latest catalyst 13.11 beta 9.2 drivers. The drivers appear to work fine aside from this issue. I'm running windows 8.1 64-bit.

pc specs:

biostar tz68a+ mb

amd r9 280x

16gb ram

antec ea750 psu

windows 8.1 64-bit.

the monitor is connected via DVI

Has anyone ever heard of an issue like this? anyway to fix it?

Edited: 11/18/2013 at 05:15 PM by bwat47
 11/18/2013 05:14 PM

Author Icon
bwat47
Peon

managed to workaround it by using HDMI to hook up my monitor instead of DVI.

Anyone know where the problem was? The video card, the DVI cable, the monitor, windows, or a driver issue? I don't think its the card since it works totally fine with DVI at all times except the intitial boot.

12/11/2013 12:11 AM

Author Icon
bwat47
Peon

I managed to completely fix it today. I enabled UEFI boot on my motherboard (I had disabled it when I first got the mb for some reason or another, so windows was installed in non-uefi mode), and then formatted and reinstalled windows 8.1 in UEFI mode. Now its working fine. Boots with DVI with no black screen.

Statistics
84891 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.