Topic Title: Crossfired 7970's ?!?
Topic Summary: i have a few questions about crossfiring 2 amd radeon 7970 cards
Created On: 12/02/2013 04:53 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/02/2013 04:53 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
the crazy canadian
Peon

Hello I was planning on getting a pair of Crossfired amd radeon HD 7970's and had a few before hand questions... 

my first question is, i had orrigionaly hen i built this rig 2 weeks ago bought the R9-290, but when running Crysis 3 it caused my motherboard to scream at me for the heat to go down... sirens and lights flashing and all....  i checked my gpu temperature program and it had reached 110 celcius and was still rising... so i had to shut down crysis 3 and unplug my 2nd monitor.... I sent the card back to newegg and they kindly offered to refund me for store credit... I am probably going to replace that card with dual 7970's and was wanting to ask b4 i went ahead and did this... has anyone experienced heating issues with crossfired 7970's... my motherboard has room for 3 of them not that i'm going to use 3 EVER!!! but I want to get a general idea of how hot crossfired 7970's get and if theres anything anyone can reccomend i do to lower the temp on them without voiding the warranty.

my motherboard is the Asus crosshair V formula Z. i have a 1200 watt modular powersupply from corsair. and my case is the coolermaster CM storm trooper.

my other question is... can i still aquire 2 New  7970's seeing as the R9 and R7 series are out ( which btw are worse than last years models in my opinion ie: run hotter and less powerfull) my friend told me that they had been discontinued but another friend told me that graphics card companies usualy dont discontinue their cards untill 3rd generation.

and my final question is with my 1200 watt powersupply do i have enough power to run 2 of these cards? I'm running and amd FX-9370 vishera 4.4 ghz 8 core processor with the board i mentioned above and 4 hard drives ( 2 ssd's and 2 mechanical)

I know this is alot of questions... I'm new to AMD i've been with intell for years but finaly got sick of their over pricing for same quality as AMD if not worse.

12/02/2013 10:57 PM

Author Icon
kray28
Peon

There is no difference between a 7970 and the R9 280. The R9 280X is just the Ghz edition of the 7970. 

It's a rebadge. You can still get 7970s....just have to look around. 

To run Crossfired 7970s, I think it's helpful to create some manual fan profiles in CCC and just force them before you game. 50% duty cycle is usually enough to prevent a serious overheat. It's also quite loud...which is why I game with closed ear headphones. 

12/09/2013 06:40 PM

Author Icon
the crazy canadian
Peon

how hot should dual 7970's get in crossfire array though I'm concerned for heat problems

12/09/2013 08:28 PM

Author Icon
Thanny
Alpha Geek

Provided you have at least a one-slot gap between the cards (i.e. an empty slot that you could physically fit a normal expansion card into with the graphics cards both installed), and you have proper case ventilation (air in the front and out the back/top), it should be fine.

Statistics
88844 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.