Topic Title: R9 270x and my motherboard
Topic Summary: Motherboard unable to boot with R9 270x
Created On: 12/03/2013 08:45 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/03/2013 08:45 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
denis747
Peon

Hi all, I bought a Sapphire Dual-X R9 270x a few days ago to replace my old radeon x1950pro. My motherboard is an Asrock 4coredual-vsta and power supply is an iCute AP-600AS 600 watts power supply.

Problem is, when I install the R9 270x, (all the two pci express power connecters connected), the motherboard refuses to boot and nothing shows up on the computer monitor. All the cooling fans, come on though. The graphics card's two cooling fans come on for a few seconds then stop for a few seconds. After about 30 seconds the graphics card's fans come on again, are they temperature controlled or is this abnormal?

Or could it be that my motherboard is not compatible with a R9 270x? When I put back my old radeon x1950pro, the motherboards boots and everything works. It just doesn't want to work with the radeon 270x. This Asrock 4coredual-vsta is a strange motherboad that has both pci express and agp connectors. The pci express supports 16x but only runs at 4x due to the design of this motherboard. Could this be why the motherboard is unable to boot with the R9 270x?

I appreciate all your help,

Denis

12/07/2013 12:55 AM

Author Icon
DjS82
Peon

I'm having this exact same issue with an Asrock Z77 Extreme 4-M  & HiS r270x.

I can get it to boot to the onboard but as soon as i install the driver it goes kaput.

12/09/2013 02:50 AM

Author Icon
denis747
Peon

I have done a lot of research online, and seems that these new PCI express version 3.0 AMD cards are only fully backwards compatible up to PCI express version 2.1. Due to this they won't work on some motherboards with pci express version 1.1 unless the motherboard bios is updated with a bios that supports at least pci express version 2.1. Unfortunately for me, the latest available bios for my motherboard does not support it - or is it an Asrock thing? Since it seems like the motherboards giving this issue are mostly Asrock motherboards. I have sent a message to Asrock, 4 days ago, asking if they could kindly issue an updated bios but up to now no reply from them.

I will buy a new motherboard this month-end but this means that I will have to buy a new cpu and ram as well.

12/09/2013 08:53 AM

Author Icon
Jimjoebob
Peon

Yeah , that board is iffy regarding compatibility with modern PCIe cards. I used to have one a long time ago, and some cards I tried did not work right.   Upgrading it is the only way to go.

Statistics
89090 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.