Topic Title: XFX R9 290 Black screening
Topic Summary: Constant BSOD'ing
Created On: 12/04/2013 08:42 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/04/2013 08:42 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Hatebeak
Peon

It has been a long 2 days of headaches with this card. It would black screen even when just sitting on the desktop. I installed the latest drivers and did the usual driver sweep, reinstall, check compatability, and google fixes with no luck. I tried turning off the catalyst overdrive and it helped a little, but still the problem persisted. Returning the card is a pain since I bought it online and I know the card is a power house and am trying to make exchanging or returning a last resort.

Graphics Card
XFX R9 290

AMD Catalyst Driver Version, and Driver History
13.11b

Operating System
Windows 8.1 64

Motherboard or System Make & Model
AMD 760G

Power Supply

Rosewill RBR1000-M

Display Device(s) and Connection(s) Used
Display port (seems when I use HDMI it works but it is very grainy and not as responsive)

Applications and Games

Desktop black screening, crashes in Battlefield 4 and even Counter strike GO.

CPU Details
AMD FX-8320

12/07/2013 12:13 PM

Author Icon
DjHellFire
Peon

I replied with this message on a different topic:

"It's the card.  I had a 100% stable system before installing my XFX R9 290.  Ever since it's install, I have had constant BSOD/Rolling Random Restarts.

I tried everything, testing every componite I had, and even put my CPU under a stress test.  They all checked out perfect condition.  

I even went as far as fresh installing windows 7 and MULTIPLE driver installs.  Granted, spent many hours trying to troubleshoot my problem.  

Last resort, I pulled out my r9 290 and installed my old HD 6950 to see if it would return the system to normal.  

All better, even with the 9.5 Beta driver!  

I just RMA'd my r9 290 to newegg to see if a replacement will fix my problem.  If it does not, I am going to demand a refund.  

(Note:  I was also experiencing below average fps for EVERYTHING with the card.  Bf4, Heaven 4.0, Assassins Creed 4, etc.)"

I would recommend RMAing the card immeditally to the dealer you bought it from.  I have read many people have solved their problems this way. 

12/07/2013 09:28 PM

Author Icon
kray28
Peon

If it's black screening on the desktop, you need to RMA it. Same thing happened to me. My replacement card works fine. 

As I said in another thread, I think there's a batch of bad cards out there, and you and I just got unlucky. Hopefully your replacement works flawlessly like mine does. 

The card itself is great...awesome performance at high resolutions (1440p) with all settings maxed for many games. 

Statistics
84907 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.