Topic Title: AMD 7970 - Hitching/Jumping/Skips Frame
Topic Summary: AMD 7970 Consistent Frame Skip/Hitch in every game when using Vsync/Capped Framerate, Old 480 just fine..
Created On: 12/05/2013 09:29 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/05/2013 09:29 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
chivs688
Peon

I recently bought the AMD Asus 7970 Matrix Platinum to replace my Nvidia GTX 480.

The card seems to run very well, achieving very high frames, but when using Vsync I get what seems to be a skipped frame consistently. It could be every second, although seems to be more like 2 or 3.

This happens in every single game where the framerate is capped or Vsync is on in the game.

Now I just installed my 480 back in, and that doesn't have the problem at all. Perfectly and consistently smooth when using Vsync, just as it should be.

Tested both cards in Metro Last Light and Starbound, both of which I can get over 60fps constantly in the area I tested on both cards, so not an issue of a lack of power. However have noticed the issue in all other games such as Battlefield 4, Starcraft 2, Assassins Creed 4,.. 

Latest drivers tested on both. Tested with in-game Vsync, 3rd party application Vsync, as well as capping the framerate with DxTory and others but in every instance there is the big frame skip on the AMD card, and perfectly smooth on the Nvidia.

My monitor is 60Hz. I can't stand the choppyness of not having Vsync/framerate cap on while I play games, and all was fine with Vsync and the 480..

So any thoughts on this? AMD issue? Particular card issue?

Any help much appreciated, was excited to upgrade to this card but this issue makes it almost completely not enjoyable and I have that horrible feeling of regret that I just spent so much on the card and am having this issue 

12/05/2013 09:30 PM

Author Icon
chivs688
Peon

I've got a feeling its something to do with the consistency of the framerate when using Vsync.

What I mean by this is that when using just the in-game Vsync in Metro Last Light on the Nvidia 480, FRAPS shows the FPS to be almost 100% consistent 60. Whereas with the AMD 7970, its constantly switching between 59 and 60, even when standing still staring at the floor.

Why is this? Why can't my 7970 handle keeping the FPS steady whereas my significantly weaker 480 can perfectly? Even though it's using the game's Vsync..and this issue is exactly the same with every game..

12/06/2013 01:27 PM

Author Icon
MHudon
Peon

Hello Chivs,

Curiously, I'm not concerned about the bug you have with vsync ON, from a game to another, Vsync experience is inconsistent, but the choppyness you experience while vsync's off. 

Could you please provide more details on your configuration? Did you overclock the card?

Using non GHZ 7970 cards from Sapphire and Gigabyte and I experience no issues, no frame skip with or without vsync.

What I do get though is flickering in Assassins Creed Black flag menus when CFX is enabled.

Gameplay is smooth in Black Flag, Cryssis 3, BF4, Borderlands2, Tomb Raider, Bioshock Infinite and older titles.

Also, did you make sure to completly uterly erase any Nvidia driver data from your set-up?

-------------------------

Making snowman out of rain

Statistics
85551 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 6 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.