Topic Title: Monitors losing signal while gaming
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12/16/2013 01:03 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/16/2013 01:03 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
nomoreenslaved
Peon

Hi everyone

I recently started having a problem while running some games where my two monitors would lose the video signal and go into sleep mode. This happens when my video card gets to 85°C or more, in games like Battlefield 4 or Arma 3.

This DID NOT happen before, it started a few days ago after installing the latest AMD Catalist Beta drivers and after weeks of playing BF4 and having several crashes that would make the temperature of the card rise a lot in for a few seconds 90 - 95°C. At first I thought that the problem was BF4 crashing (again) but then I tried with Arma 3 and the the exact same thing happened. I say this did not happen before because during the summer the card would get to around 96°C and it would continue working without a problem.

What I did to test this was launching BF4 or Arma 3, while running Speedfan, MSI afterburner and Catalist Control Center at the same time to monitor the temps of the card. As soon as the card reaches 85°C, the monitors lose signal and there is no way of recovering it unless I hit the reset power button on the case. Everything stays running after the video signal is gone, PSU, CPU, and GPU fans keep spinning as well as the case fans, keyboard and mouse keep receiving power too. I removed the side panel from my case and put a fan blowing air at the video card and ran BF4 and the temperature stayed below 75°C and there was no problem at all, then I removed the fan and put the side panel again, making the temp to rise to 85°C and the same thing happened again.

What in the hell happened? Did the crashes caused by BF4 just ruined my card? Could it be something related to the Catalyst Beta drivers? (It did not happen immediately after installing the drivers, it happened 2 or 3 days after installing them) I uninstalled the Beta drivers and deleted any files remaining following the steps in this article http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news/2012/4/4/guide-how... and installed back the latest stable version 13.9 and the problem still persist.

I've googled this monitor losing signal issue and checked several post on different forums (tom's hardware, overclock.net, steam, etc) and no one seems to have a similar problem and very few people have solved it. Any ideas?

Thanks for your help!

Specs:

i5 3550
16GB Kingston RAM 1333
XFX 7970 DD
Thermaltake 600w PSU
120GB Kinston SSD
1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD
5 x 120mm case fans
1 x 140mm case fan
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

1 HP pavilion 25xi monitor (Connected to the video card using a DVI cable)
1 HP pavilion 23xi monitor (Connected to the video card using a DVI cable with and HDMI adaptor)

Statistics
84262 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.