Topic Title: r9 290X black screen problem
Topic Summary: 290 290x crash
Created On: 12/31/2013 01:41 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 3 4 5 Previous Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/14/2014 09:33 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
AnthFred
Peon

Originally posted by: TRock Integrated graphics on the cpu is disabled, i still get black screen . I dont think they are related.

It looks like is voltage problem, I have seen in others  post that the  card has spikes of voltage, for that I recommend  to  turn up the power  limit and the VDDC Offset.
Ofcourse u will have to configurate the sofware to open it at Windows start or do it always...

03/14/2014 10:37 PM

Author Icon
TRock
Peon

if its a voltage problem, AMD has to solve it with a driver/bios update(or just replace the card , which in my case they didnt). User shouldnt have to tweak those settings. 

03/15/2014 06:20 PM

Author Icon
AnthFred
Peon

Originally posted by: TRock if its a voltage problem, AMD has to solve it with a driver/bios update(or just replace the card , which in my case they didnt). User shouldnt have to tweak those settings. 

Yeah  for that I give this obtion for that ppl than can't send it back  to RMA or   is waiting for new drivers that solve it ..

Edited: 03/16/2014 at 03:24 PM by AnthFred
 03/20/2014 01:54 PM

Author Icon
lukas108
Peon

My R290 returned from RMA. Card was exchanged. Now all works fine.

-------------------------
AMD Phenom x4 965 BE, MSI Radeon R9 290 Gaming 4G, 16 GB RAM DDR3, 1 SSD + 5 HDD, WIndows 7 64bit
 03/20/2014 02:26 PM

Author Icon
umnut
Peon

Originally posted by: lukas108 My R290 returned from RMA. Card was exchanged. Now all works fine.

03/20/2014 02:27 PM

Author Icon
umnut
Peon

RMA-ed it, though the same problem (no video signal) would still manifest itself, apparently (exchanged Asus DCUII for GB Windforce, r9 290). If only one video cable would be inserted (regardless of which slot would be occupied by it), would the card automatically "interpret" it as the main peripheral? Would seem to have only tried with HDMI cables, and would want to inquire as to whether any of the other slots would be considered as "main" ones. (DVI/DP).
 03/20/2014 02:30 PM

Author Icon
umnut
Peon

RMA-ed it, though the same problem (no video signal) would still manifest itself, apparently (exchanged Asus DCUII for GB Windforce, r9 290). If only one video cable would be inserted (regardless of which slot would be occupied by it), would the card automatically "interpret" it as the main peripheral? Would seem to have only tried with HDMI cables, and would want to inquire as to whether any of the other slots would be considered as "main" ones. (DVI/DP). Also, would it be a PCIE-2.0 issue? Would seem to have ostensibly read on a few sites (as well as on the Mobo's manufacturer website) that they'd supposedly be compatible.
 04/10/2014 01:09 PM

Author Icon
JavaZ
Peon

Followed your steps, only original drivers from Dec 2013 works, new sapphire drivers, beta

AMD Catalyst™ 14.3 Beta V1.0 Driver for Windows® Operating System for Windows 7 64bit

Does same, Black screen after boot, but can RDP into PC without issues.

Thanks
On Monday, February 17, 2014 7:54:06 PM, "tech.support@amd.com" <tech.support@amd.com> wrote:
Dear Customer,
Your service request : SR #{ticketno:[8200577943]} has been reviewed and updated.
Response and Service Request History:
We a*****gize for the delay. Your e-mail was misplaced by our server and was only now reclaimed and sent to the Global Customer Care team. We are very sorry for the lack of response and extended wait time in dealing with your request.
I understand that you have trouble display correctly with R9 290X when booting into system although the card has been exchanged. If this is incorrect, please let me know as the information provided may change.
Please perform a clean install using cleaning tool in save mode and see whether the problem persist.
a.       Removing drivers:
1.      Right click on the left bottom of the desktop (Click the start menu) and Open the control panel then Programs and Features or Uninstall a program.
2.      In the list select AMD Catalyst Install manager then click change.
3.      In the window that opens click next and then select the option ‘Express Uninstall All AMD Software’.
4.      Once this process completes restart the computer.
b.      Use third party tool to remove the existing driver. Before beginning the uninstall/reinstallation process, please run Windows Update to ensure that there are no outstanding recommended/required updates, especially updates for the .Net or C++ frameworks, or Service Pack updates. This will ensure that our software will run properly. You may need to run Windows Update and restart multiple times, as certain updates will not appear in the list of updates until certain previous updates have been installed first.
Driver/registry cleaning tool-Driver Fusion:
1.      Go to the following link and download and run driver fusion:
2.      Run this software and choose the option to select multiple cleaning filters, select all of the ATI filters and then click start.
3.      Once the cleaning has finished restart the computer.              
Note: Driver Fusion is in no associate or maintained by AMD and is used at the user’s discretion.

c.       Run the downloaded installer package choosing the option for express install. Once the installer completes restart the computer.
If the above doesn't help, please try the certified CD driver by Sapphire for best compatibility.
In order to update this service request, please respond, leaving the service request reference intact.
Best regards,
AMD Global Customer Care
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
This email is a direct result of your contact with AMD Global Customer Care and not part of a campaign.  There is no need to unsubscribe to this email as you will only be contacted again if you directly request another service from AMD Global Customer Care.
The contents of this message are provided for informational purposes only.  AMD makes no representation or warranties with respect to the accuracy of the contents of the information provided, and reserves the right to change such information at any time, with or without notice.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Original Text
To: Support, Tech <Tech.Support@amd.com>
CC:
Sent: 02/08/14 00:31:06
Subject: R9 290X no display

Sent: February-06-14 2:16 PM
To: Support, Tech; support2, tech
Subject: R9 290X no display

Ordered 5x Sapphire R9 290X Tri OC Running Asus x79 Sabertooth i7-3930k 16 GB (DDR3 1600) 1000 Watt Power supply Win 7 Tried 1 or 2 GPU setup Blank screen, not able to see anything once Windows 7 boot up complete (just before logon prompt) I can RDP into it fine Used latest Linux Live CD, same once it goes to GUI interface. Also I only see 640x480 display option. Since I had multiple cards, I thought maybe this GPU was bad, replaced it with another same result. Tried: AMD Catalyst™ 14.1 Beta Driver for Windows, AMD Catalyst Software Suite 13.12 for Windows Issue is not related to OS, or a bad GPU card (unless it is whole batch). I paid $799 + tax each card. AMD PLEASE RESPOND
 07/15/2014 11:36 PM

Author Icon
AMD_Zombie
Peon

I sent my R9 290 in for RMA due to black screen issues. Had to wait over 2 months (Club 3D) but finally got it back today. Pretty much exact same card (but with some added fingerprints all over the PCB and dust on the fan blades) and same Elpidia VRAM. Popped it in, updated to the latest stable driver (14-4-win7-win8-win8.1-64-dd-ccc-whql), rebooted, system crash and finally black screen... The black screen was under a condition of minimal GPU load (sitting at desktop after a reboot).

During the RMA waiting time I popped my old HD 5870 back in and my system was 100% stable btw. I'm running a Corsair 750W PSU (CMPSU-750TX) which has pushed 2x 5870's in crossfire with zero issues) for reference.

Even the latest beta driver causes my system to black screen (amd-catalyst-14.7-rc1-windows-july9). Today I fired up my PC and just left it at the log on screen. An hour later the GPU fan was screaming at 100% and the system had black screened again... Don't tell me my power supply or one of the rails is not adequate. I have a power meter in series before my APC 1500VA UPS is plugged into the wall and my system (including the monitor) never uses more than 200W at idle.

AMD I spent over $500 for a piece of hardware I cannot even use. What am supposed to do now? RMA the RMA'ed card?

Edited: 07/16/2014 at 04:36 PM by AMD_Zombie
 07/19/2014 03:35 PM

Author Icon
HoneyBadger84
Button Masher

Just an FYI, your fan on the GPU physically cannot get up to 100% on login screen.  Maximum the fan can go to on it's own fan profile, which it runs until you log in to windows & something like Afterburner takes over, is 55%, which is still loud, but nothing like 100% fan speed:

Video for comparison: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQhqOKKAq7o

It sounds like overheating and/or a bad card.

I have a person I just sold one of my 290Xs I got rid of recently having this same issue, and he can't seem to figure out it... but he is also having high temperature issues, which I did not have with the card, and it ran flawlessly for me for over 2 weeks of intense gaming usage, so I'm really stumped as to how to help him with this issue.

It's crazy to me that he seems to have good airflow in his case yet the card is reaching 85C+, when I never saw it go over 70C the entire time I was using it myself (I let the fan go up to 100% at 65C specifically to avoid overheating issues, I play with headphones on so the noise don't bug me)

-------------------------

CPU: i7 3930k @ 4.6GHz 1.29V (Corsair H110-cooled) ~ Motherboard: Asus RoG Rampage IV Extreme 
RAM: G.Skill Sniper Gaming Series (4x4GB 2133MHz, CL9) ~ PSU: Corsair AX 1200W ~ Case: Enermax Fulmo GT
GPUs: 3x HIS R9 290X Reference (Core) Editions in TriFire, Max Load Temps: 71C/70C/71C during OC testing :-P

08/17/2014 08:44 PM

Author Icon
yukapuka
Peon

take out the rubbish amd and go buy a 780ti, thats what i did and my computer hasa been flawless 

AMD Support and Game » AMD Radeon™ Graphics » r9 290X black screen problem

<< 1 2 3 4 5 Previous Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
85470 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.