Topic Title: AMD R9 270 | Unable to install "Multimedia Controller"
Topic Summary: AMD Catalyst Installs, but left with one Unidentifiable Device on the Video Card.
Created On: 01/11/2014 04:10 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/11/2014 04:10 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
KissSh0t
Peon

After installing my new R9 270 video card I have a "Multimedia Controller" left uninstalled.

I am unable to install this one left over device, All I have been able to do so far is identify that it is located on the video card.

The drivers I am using are 13.12 "13-12_win7_win8_64_dd_ccc_whql"

I have tried using Driver Booster to install the left over device but it does not know what it is.

I have tried identifying the device with a few driver tools but nothing knows what it is.

Here is a screenshot showing my device manager with the device I am unable to install

Here is a screenshot showing the Hardware ID

The exact model of the video card is XFX Radeon R9 270 Double Dissipation Boost 2GB with model number R9-270A-CDFC

I have started a support ticket with XFX but it has been 4 days now and it says they will get back in 2 days... So I feel like I am being ignored, So I thought I would try here on AMD Formus with the hope of someone knowing what this is.. or.. any help at all.

I am thinking maybe it is a bug with my video card because I have not been able to find anyone else with this issue.

01/18/2014 08:21 PM

Author Icon
WarChild007
Peon

Hi,

Have you found a fix for this?

I have the same issue XFX R9 270, with the same driver version as you.

01/19/2014 01:12 AM

Author Icon
KissSh0t
Peon

Do you really have the same issue as me!!!!! Ohh my gosh I thought I was the only person on the face of the earth with this issue.

I have not found a sollution to the problem yet, I have filed a bug report with AMD.

If you could do the same including images and an explination like I have here... It might end up getting the issue fixed for us.

You can file a report here >> http://www.amd.com/report

If you could, please take screenshots like I have here and post them here as well to accompany my post.

If you are a member of Guru3D, please feel free to contribute to my post regarding this issue here >> http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=385348

Edited: 01/19/2014 at 01:18 AM by KissSh0t
 01/19/2014 11:34 PM

Author Icon
WarChild007
Peon

Hi,

Lol, Yes it seems to be exactly the same, doesnt cause problems with game play (BF4, MW3 and MW Ghosts) but just annoying that its not installed fully. I check daily for driver updates and beta drivers in the hope there is a fix for it.

I've raised a ticket already, no reply as yet.

I'll take screen shots soon, I've seen your post on guru3d and tried some of their suggestions but its not fixed it. I'm using Windows 7 64 by the way with a dvi monitor not hdmi.

01/20/2014 03:05 PM

Author Icon
KissSh0t
Peon

Hopefuly it can get sorted out.. I've tried contacting XFX via support but I have been flat out ignore.

My display connects via VGA>DVI converter...  so pretty much DVI also.

I've tried Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 8.1

All the same.

01/28/2014 01:17 AM

Author Icon
WarChild007
Peon

Hi, I got a reply from xfx they said to try the latest driver and test the card in another pc if the problem still exists then return it via the reseller or raise an RMA.

Edited: 01/29/2014 at 07:43 AM by WarChild007
 01/28/2014 02:32 PM

Author Icon
KissSh0t
Peon

Obviously it's the video card, not the system it is in.

I have yet to recieve a response from XFX.. My support ticket is a month or so old now.

My motherboard is ASUS M5A97 R2.0, what is yours?

01/29/2014 07:41 AM

Author Icon
WarChild007
Peon

Not sure what mainboard I have, it came with the system.  I've got a Dell XPS 8300 with Intel i7-2600 3.40GHz.

Edit - I left my tickt with them for 9 days and sent them a reply to the same ticket saying that they state a reply in 2-3 days but its been 9 so far.  They replied in a few hours to it!

01/29/2014 04:22 PM

Author Icon
KissSh0t
Peon

Well it's enough knowing you are on an Intel based system.. I am on an AMD based system.. the two have very different motherboards.

I've replied to my own ticket 5 times over the month.. I have yet to recieve a response.

Fingers crossed that the next driver will contain whatever this unknown driver is.

01/30/2014 01:02 AM

Author Icon
ebworthen
Peon

I just installed an XFX R9 270A CDFC and have the exact same issue.

I am certain it is a component of the new video card.

Probably part of the "Eyefinity" feature and higher resolutions.

Get on the stick AMD!  You need to get some non-in house systems to install your hardware on and see what happens; the Catalyst Package from 12/18/2013 is missing a driver for the multimedia component of this video card.

Thanks!

01/30/2014 03:18 AM

Author Icon
KissSh0t
Peon

Originally posted by: ebworthen I just installed an XFX R9 270A CDFC and have the exact same issue.

I am certain it is a component of the new video card.

Probably part of the "Eyefinity" feature and higher resolutions.

Get on the stick AMD!  You need to get some non-in house systems to install your hardware on and see what happens; the Catalyst Package from 12/18/2013 is missing a driver for the multimedia component of this video card.

Thanks!

If you can ebworthen please report the issue to AMD driver support here >> http://www.amd.com/report

And create a support ticket with XFX regarding the issue.

01/31/2014 08:42 AM

Author Icon
WarChild007
Peon

I've just received an RMA number to return it back to the dealer for inspection and replacement if faulty.

01/31/2014 02:47 PM

Author Icon
KissSh0t
Peon

Originally posted by: WarChild007 I've just received an RMA number to return it back to the dealer for inspection and replacement if faulty.

If you can, please do post back here with whatever happens.

02/03/2014 03:09 PM

Author Icon
ebworthen
Peon

Submitted trouble ticket to XFX.

Got a quick response considering it is Chinese New Year.

The suggested solution was to un-install Catalyst, re-boot into safe mode, run Display Driver Uninstaller (http://www.wagnardmobile.com/DDU/), re-boot, run latest Catalyst installation package.

I spent the time to do that exactly as prescribed and nothing, exact same missing driver for "Multimedia controller".

It is coming from the video card, as it and the "multimedia controller" are using the same PCI bus and device #, the video card function is "0" and the multimedia controller function is "2".

I'm 99% sure this is a driver issue with Catalyst and not a hardware failure - but until AMD releases a new driver package we're SOL.

I'll report to the AMD driver folks.

My machine has locked up twice, froze and I had to wait 20-30 seconds then Windows recovers and says "your display driver stopped working and had to be restarted" so if that keeps up may have to RMA the card until we get their attention.

02/03/2014 04:39 PM

Author Icon
KissSh0t
Peon

Thanks for the update..

The issue is 100% on the video card.

I have confirmed this on multiple systems now.

anyone else who is having this issue and has not posted here or is just looking for a solution to this problem, I urge you to register you're video card on XFX website and report the problem via XFX support.

If we get enough attention for this they might just get this fixed.

The issue is only on this video card and no other.

02/14/2014 03:54 PM

Author Icon
WarChild007
Peon

You'll never guess what!

I got my replacement today and the PC wont even boot, the monitor doesnt even find a signal!

Gonna send this one back and move away from XFX!  I have had about 4 XFX cards in the past, most recently about 2yrs ago and never had problems but getting two duff GPU's in a row is madness.

02/14/2014 04:02 PM

Author Icon
KissSh0t
Peon

It's slowly kreeping up on 2 months since submiting a support ticket with XFX.. no reply... nothing... completely ignored..

this will also be my only XFX purchase.. never again.

For you, check out MSI.. I know they make some very nice cards, a few friends have gotten MSI branded cards and they are very nice.

Check out this card >> "msi r9 270 gaming"

If I hadn't of jumped on this XFX card.. I would have gotten that one... I really wish I had to be honset.

02/14/2014 04:13 PM

Author Icon
WarChild007
Peon

Originally posted by: KissSh0t It's slowly kreeping up on 2 months since submiting a support ticket with XFX.. no reply... nothing... completely ignored..

this will also be my only XFX purchase.. never again.

For you, check out MSI.. I know they make some very nice cards, a few friends have gotten MSI branded cards and they are very nice.

Check out this card >> "msi r9 270 gaming"

If I hadn't of jumped on this XFX card.. I would have gotten that one... I really wish I had to be honset.

I've just been looking at that card, was comparing that and the Asus.  May jump ship all together and go to Nvidia!

Have you gone back to the retailer about it?

02/14/2014 04:22 PM

Author Icon
KissSh0t
Peon

I purchased mine from a completely random e-retailer here in Australia.. so I haven't even tried knowing it's going to be more of a headache if I try than ignoring the issue then upgrading in another 2 years or so.

02/14/2014 04:34 PM

Author Icon
WarChild007
Peon

Yeah I prob should have ignored it as its worse now than before.  I dont know if the multi media driver reduces performance though.

Statistics
88867 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.