Topic Title: HDCP, Windows 8 Hyper-V, and Radeon Graphics - when will this be fixed?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/16/2014 09:21 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/16/2014 09:21 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
akais
Peon

I was suprised to find out that my problem, trying to view protected video content, on my Windows 8 pc was a known issue since Windows 8 was launched over a year ago. It is because I have Hyper-V enabled. The error I get is "the DVD may be in use by another application. If all other applications are closed, the video resolution may need to be lowered or the display connection type may not support playback of the DVD". This is in WMC. Other video applications (WinDVD, Direct2PC) also complain about the display being incompatible with protected content. Microsoft Tech-Net forum blames this on a problem with the AMD catalyst driver not handeling the Hyper-V video correctly. Sure enough, installing a different video card solves this issue. Microsoft considers this a non-issue since PCs with Nvidia or Intel graphics work fine. I would like to know if AMD is going to fix this problem or at least document it so that customers know going in that they will not be able to play video on a Windows 8 computer with AMD graphics that also has Hyper-V installed.

-------------------------
 04/25/2014 12:18 PM

Author Icon
DJHazMat
Peon

I too have been a long time consumer of ATI/AMD Radeon Video Cards and AMD processors. I exclusive use AMD procs and Video cards in all of my 7 Home PCs(I have 5 kids).  Unfortunately, I recently upgrade my primary PC to Windows 8(I bought dual touch screen monitors) and was completely puzzled and astounded that Media Center kicked out the error that the monitor wasn't HDCP compliant. I had already used them on Windows 7 Media Center with no issues, so I knew that wasn't it. I was using the latest AMD video drivers, so that shouldn't have been it either. I found out through numerous other forums that the issue was Hyper-V and uninstalling that feature allowed media center to work again and to play and record TV.  I can't disable Hyper-V because I have always had a virtual machine running so that I can test and run software that I don't want to clutter up my main PC. Tax software for instance, plus I can access a website without the worry of contracting a virus because I can just turn off the virtual pc and discard changes.   I really want to continue to use AMD products, but this BUG in the drivers is unacceptable. Every other PC in my house also runs media center (I have 2 HDHomerunPrimes that I use to provide 6 FIOS TV Tuners to my PCs) and this will preclude them from upgrading to Windows 8.  I guess I will have to start buying NVIDIA products from now on. Maybe I should revisit the Intel Processor camp as well?

06/11/2014 02:57 PM

Author Icon
DJHazMat
Peon

I got tired of searching for a work-around with the AMD and Hyper-V issue and found elsewhere that Microsoft considered it an AMD issue since the NVIDIA cards worked. I am believing that the issue is with AMD as well. I went ahead and bought a $129 NVidia GTX 750Ti card and installed it in my machine. No other changes and, of course, it worked like a champ!  I can now run Hyper-V and use Media Center to record and watch HBO again. Blu-Ray works as well.  I originally chose AMD in the first place because I use AMD CPU's exclusively. I guess no more. I am disapointed with AMD because they ignore the issue. From now on, when I need a video card, I am going NVidia now. I guess I will also have to start looking at the Intel procs as well. I'm sure AMD will stop supporting other OS features in the future. What a disapointment.   That said, if AMD were willing to work with me, I'd work with them to test different drivers on the 6870 that I have in my other Hyper-V machine to see if they can fix the issue.

06/11/2014 03:26 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Originally posted by: DJHazMat I got tired of searching for a work-around with the AMD and Hyper-V issue and found elsewhere that Microsoft considered it an AMD issue since the NVIDIA cards worked. I am believing that the issue is with AMD as well. I went ahead and bought a $129 NVidia GTX 750Ti card and installed it in my machine. No other changes and, of course, it worked like a champ!  I can now run Hyper-V and use Media Center to record and watch HBO again. Blu-Ray works as well.  I originally chose AMD in the first place because I use AMD CPU's exclusively. I guess no more. I am disapointed with AMD because they ignore the issue. From now on, when I need a video card, I am going NVidia now. I guess I will also have to start looking at the Intel procs as well. I'm sure AMD will stop supporting other OS features in the future. What a disapointment.   That said, if AMD were willing to work with me, I'd work with them to test different drivers on the 6870 that I have in my other Hyper-V machine to see if they can fix the issue.

Bye bye. Please shut the door after you.

-------------------------

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

Statistics
84960 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.