Topic Title: Newly Built Gaming PC Not Connecting to Monitor Nor TV - Using Radeon HD 7870 GPU
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/08/2014 01:36 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/08/2014 01:36 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
MayonnaiseOreo
Peon

So I just had a new gaming PC built for me. I unfortunately don't know all the specs because the person I had build it for me took some cheaper options on brands but said that the specs would all be the same (the only thing I can really tell that's different is it only has a 600W PSU instead of 750W).

I received a brand new LG IPS231 monitor with the PC and upon turning the PC on and the monitor and connecting them with a DVI cable, I got the message "DVI-D Power Saving Mode" on the monitor. Everything I looked at online said that the monitor may not be connecting to the PC properly. I tried hard resets and had no luck. I tried connecting the monitor to my laptop using a D-SUB cable and I just got a message saying "D-SUB Power Saving Mode". I can't even get to a boot menu from the new PC. It's possible the video card isn't being read.

I was thinking that maybe the monitor is defective and that's what LG support believes as well. I figured I'd try connecting the PC to my Samsung TV with an HDMI cable but it tells me there is no signal. All I really know about the computer is that the motherboard apparently failed twice and had to be replaced until one worked. I'm not sure if it's my monitor that is the issue or if it's my PC, or both. I'll post what parts I know are in the computer.

GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon HD 7870 2GB GDDR5 GHz Edition

RAM: G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

Motherboard: ASUS M5A78L-M LX PLUS

I don't know what the CPU is since there is a heat sink fan on top of it.

As a side note, the PC was hooked up to a monitor where it was built and the operating system was installed. So I know that the PC was able to have display on a monitor at one point in time.

Please let me know what you guys think. I'm pretty new to the whole building a PC thing. I'm pretty disappointed that I didn't get to have all the parts I wanted and assemble the computer myself (which would probably make it much easier to figure what's wrong with it) but I received it as a gift so I probably shouldn't complain too much.

Edited: 02/08/2014 at 08:20 PM by MayonnaiseOreo
 02/09/2014 12:43 PM

Author Icon
MayonnaiseOreo
Peon

Please, if anybody has any ideas or clues as to what the issue could be, it would be greatly appreciated. I have a non-working PC sitting in my room right now. 

02/09/2014 02:48 PM

Author Icon
WMudrockJr
Overclocker

So I guess you have hit the buttons on the monitor to set up the input properly?

-------------------------

AMD A10-5800K, XFX 7850 Ultra OC Edition 975MHz, 16GB RAM, Win 8.1 Pro 64 bit, MSI 7778 motherboard, 500W PSU, HP P7-1235, CCC 13.12 WHQL

02/09/2014 05:45 PM

Author Icon
MayonnaiseOreo
Peon

Originally posted by: WMudrockJr So I guess you have hit the buttons on the monitor to set up the input properly?

Yes I have. It essentially goes black for a second (almost like when changing inputs on a television) and then returns to the same power saving message. I can't even get to a menu of any sort on the monitor. If I unplug the DVI cable it will tell me to plug it back in, so I think it knows that it is connected to the video card.

The OS was installed before I received the computer so I know that it worked with a previous monitor. Due to this, I'd think the monitor is the issue but I'm also getting my TV telling me that there is no signal when I use an HDMI cable. I'm not sure if that's a matter of installing drivers to the PC though.

02/10/2014 07:48 PM

Author Icon
JackofBlades
Peon

I think nothing is wrong with your card. It sounds like you have the DVI connector plugged into the incorrect slot (sub-D) . It should be in the second DVI slot (bottom one I think). Try that and see if the problem goes away.

02/11/2014 12:24 AM

Author Icon
MayonnaiseOreo
Peon

Originally posted by: JackofBlades I think nothing is wrong with your card. It sounds like you have the DVI connector plugged into the incorrect slot (sub-D) . It should be in the second DVI slot (bottom one I think). Try that and see if the problem goes away.

I actually did do that at first and then realized the pins didn't perfectly match up but I still had no luck with it unfortunately.

02/11/2014 09:02 AM

Author Icon
Thanny
Alpha Geek

That motherboard has built-in graphics.  Plug the monitor into the VGA port on the panel where you connect the keyboard and network cable.  That should let you get into the BIOS, so you can disable the onboard video, or at least set a preference for PCIe video.

After that, you may have to re-install the graphics drivers, since it seems likely the person who built the PC installed only drivers for the onboard video, not the add-on card.

02/12/2014 03:03 PM

Author Icon
MayonnaiseOreo
Peon

Originally posted by: Thanny That motherboard has built-in graphics.  Plug the monitor into the VGA port on the panel where you connect the keyboard and network cable.  That should let you get into the BIOS, so you can disable the onboard video, or at least set a preference for PCIe video.

After that, you may have to re-install the graphics drivers, since it seems likely the person who built the PC installed only drivers for the onboard video, not the add-on card.

I just got a new monitor and it told me that there was no signal when connected to the video card. I just tried using the VGA cable with the motherboard and it's still telling me the same thing with both monitors. I'm pretty lost on what do to now.

Statistics
84290 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 6 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.