Topic Title: radeon @ 3840x2160
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/08/2014 06:53 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/08/2014 06:53 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Vegan
Elite

So any Radeon users here got a 4K UHD rig yet?

what games work at such unreal resolutions?

-------------------------

06/01/2014 10:45 PM

Author Icon
outsidefactor
Peon

Skyrim looks amazing, as does Saints Row 4 and Assassins Creed 4. Even Mass Effect 3 is a massive step up.

As soon as I have the whole displayport 4k blinking/flickering issue sorted out I intend to re-install a bunch of older games and try them out. Anti-aliasing means a whole lot less than it used to.

That is my biggest recommendation about 4k resolutions right now: make sure your monitor actually works with the graphics cards before you buy. Avoid Sapphire: I and others are having issues and Sapphire are not really making any effort to resolve the issue at this stage.

06/03/2014 02:36 PM

Author Icon
chaharyar
Peon

You can actually get Skyrim to work properly at 4k?

I get this weird screen flickering thing, as if v-sync is totally messing up. I experienced this in other games too, like Assassin's creed 4 but turning off v-sync solved the issue.

No matter what I do in skyrim though, it continues to flicker. I can try to take a video at some point. 

06/24/2014 06:29 AM

Author Icon
outsidefactor
Peon

Originally posted by: chaharyar You can actually get Skyrim to work properly at 4k? I get this weird screen flickering thing, as if v-sync is totally messing up. I experienced this in other games too, like Assassin's creed 4 but turning off v-sync solved the issue. No matter what I do in skyrim though, it continues to flicker. I can try to take a video at some point. 

Skyrim is an unusual beast. I found that mixing 120Hz refresh rates (on my old Samsung S27A950D) with Skyrim caused issues near water. Also, if you've hacked your ini files hard you may get Z fighting issues.

Lastly, as discussed elsewhere (http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=440&threadid=173990), we were having that annoying Crossfire issue. You say it's been fixed on your Sapphire (or should I say 'went away'), but maybe it's not fixed in all cases. I certainly am having no issues after replacing my Sapphire with an Asus RoG unit: it fixed the screen flickering I was seeing in all games.

Amazingly I am finding I am able to run most games at 4k with 4x MSAA with just my two cards in CrossFire (my secondary isn't even a 290X, just a 290). If only we had three DisplayPorts per card I could buy two more GPUs and do a 3 x 4k eyefility setup (I'd have to go back to MSAAx2, but I could live with that). Unfortunately DisplayPort 1.2 can only carry a single 4K stream at 60Hz, so 3 x 4K is impossible over a single DisplayPort 1.2, even going down to 30Hz. Worse, 1.3 won't support it over a single port, even though it hasn't even been released yet.

Yes, you heard it right, we could have 4K x 3 eyefinity TODAY if we had enough DisplayPorts. But we don't. And there is no fix on the horizon. Grrrr. Unless you have a 6 port mobo and get 6 cards and run them in three crossfire groups of two. Assuming that's even possible. Even more Grrrr.

In general, I have been amazed at 4K, once I had resolved the DP fliscker issue. Modern games have all delivered linear gains, but I was pleasently surprised when I went and installed some older games. Mass Effect 3 looks great, and I would expect so, but Mass Effect 1 with the community texture pack looks AMAZING. Fallout: NV is actually pretty good, too (again, community texture packs and mods help).

AC 3 and4 are sumptuous, but AC:B is amazing, as it seems to translate better to the new res than the newer games (minus the newer effects).

The only game I have been underwhelmed by was Deus Ex:HR. It always had a minimal, clean, hard edge to it, so it just doen't feel that much different in 4k. Civ 5 crashes... and crashes... and crashes. It's unpredicable, but never seems to last longer than 10 minutes at a stretch.

I have my fingers crossed for the upcoming released of HD remakes of some Star Wars games. Jedi Knight HD is on it's way after the release of the source code, but I quiver in anticipation of a KOTOR 1 and 2 HD release.

For a lark I may even try to get the 64 bit patch for FarCry going, just to see if it even works. So far I have found that anything that works at 1920x1080 works at 3940x2160, so I am hopeful that many older games that enumerate screen res options from the OS will work flawlessly.

Edited: 06/24/2014 at 07:10 AM by outsidefactor
Statistics
85457 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 4 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.