Topic Title: Radeon 7950 crashes PC after some time idle
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/15/2014 01:37 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/15/2014 01:37 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
silkman
Peon

Hello forum,

First post so please be gentle

Being a proud owner of 2X GTX460 in sli, I got my hands on a Radeon 7950 3GB.  The card generally works fine but an issue is driving me crazy.

After leaving the pc idle for some time (eg 20 minutes) it crashes.  No BSOD, I just hear a beep (like the one when it reboots), blank screen and it is stuck.  To restart it I need to power cycle.  And obviously it is the 7950.

Everything else is fine, I mean standby and resume are fine, games are fine, temps are fine, it is just this thing that it does EVERY time.  If I forget to shut it down or put it in standby/sleep it crashes.  It never happens when I'm doing something, eg browsing, only when I'm away from it...

The only thing I have found in forums is to disable ULPS in registry which I have in every instance I could find it with no results....

More info below, as per the sticky (who reads stickies, anyways?)

Graphics Card
- Sapphire 7950 3GB - no overclock

AMD Catalyst Driver Version, and Driver History
- 13.12, MSI Afterburner 2.3.1 (default settings)

Operating System
- Win7 x64 all updates ok

Motherboard or System Make & Model
- EVga 780i Q9300 Core2 Quad (old pc I know)

Power Supply

- Corsair TX850W

Display Device(s) and Connection(s) Used
- Sony TV 65"
- DVI to HDMI Connection

Applications and Games

- Crash in Windows desktop (idle only)

CPU Details
- Q9300

Motherboard BIOS Version
- P08

System Memory Type & Amount
- 8GB, 4 X 2GB Transcend JM800QLU-2G, 6-6-6-18 (identical modules)

Additional Hardware
- SSD Intel 240

Additional Details
- SB Audigy PCI (the old one from times past)

***I suspect the problem is something very simple that experienced RADEON users will probably know about, thats why I need your help!

Silkman

Edited: 02/15/2014 at 01:46 AM by silkman
 02/23/2014 04:12 PM

Author Icon
silkman
Peon

No replies yet? AMD support?  Do I need to send this to support somehow?

03/01/2014 07:11 AM

Author Icon
Z3r03557
Peon

I have MSI 7950 twin frozr II and no such issue.

I can't be much help as I can't remember having this issue... though i'm sure i've had something similar in the past.

Try disabling PCI-e link state power management... (I remember having problems with this once) in power settings in the control panel.

You could also try disabling USB selective suspend if that fails.

03/04/2014 11:05 AM

Author Icon
silkman
Peon

Thanks for the reply

PCIe link state power mgt was disabled already in all power profiles, disabled also usb selective suspend and will post results.

03/04/2014 11:26 AM

Author Icon
Z3r03557
Peon

No problem.

Sort of out of ideas, but here's something else worth considering. If you didn't have this problem before (when you had the 2X GTX460 with the SSD), then this wouldn't apply obviously.

I had SSD problems when I couldn't resume from sleep (at least, I assumed it was asleep but may have just been non-responsive) with my sandisk SSD, it may be worth checking if this is the problem. I vaguely remember it only being a problem because I had SATA2 motherboard (very old mobo) and there was a mismatch between SATA2 and the SSDs SATA3 and the way they communicated sleep mode (a lower power state). It was resolved by an SSD firmware update.

If it's a graphics problem (or with most problems) - when you go into the administrative event manager in windows, you would see a message reporting this. If it's something like the above situation, you might not get an error message as the drive is no longer responding and there's nowhere to write this message.

Edited: 03/04/2014 at 11:43 AM by Z3r03557
 03/05/2014 05:13 AM

Author Icon
silkman
Peon

Woke up today, the pc was frozen again, so no fix with usb.

As I said in the OP, manual standby and resume work fine.  It will freeze only after some time idle.  Specifically, I have a scheduled backup at 07:00 which wakes up the pc.  The backup probably completed and the pc froze afterwards...

I doubt the SSD has anything to do because it was only the 7950 that was recently changed.  Also no chance of motherboard bios update as it is an old mobo...

Will try to swap pci-e slot next

Edited: 03/05/2014 at 05:28 AM by silkman
 03/05/2014 05:05 PM

Author Icon
silkman
Peon

Pci-e slot change not possible - at boot, the bios asked me to put it again in pci-e #1 slot....

So back to square one.

03/12/2014 08:03 PM

Author Icon
silkman
Peon

The guys at evga forums helped me out!

Apparently the pc would crash about 15 seconds after the display would turn off (power settings in control panel).

Changed the setting to never turn off the display.

It was suggested that if that was the case (with the display turn off to never it didn't crash for about 3 days)  I would run a cycle of amd driver uninstall, ccleaner, a series of reboots and driver reinstall.

Although the above didn't work, I am happy to leave the display to always on as the pc goes to standby in 30 minutes anyways.

It is a very stupid error though...  I am posting this here as well because someone might find it useful; the thread below

http://forums.evga.com/tm.aspx?m=2127483

Thanks to anyone who contributed.

Statistics
83825 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 7 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.