Topic Title: Major issues with AMD HD 7700 Graphics card
Topic Summary: Since new, the video will tear and jerk and often requires a power shutdown to fix
Created On: 02/21/2014 10:29 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/21/2014 10:29 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
goshtac
Peon

Hi folks;

In Dec 2012, our oldest son who is a highly qualified computer / software tech (He travels the country doing Govt. contract work, etc. ) Built me a new system when my old beast gave up the ghost. I do lots of computer art work and so I am involved in graphics intensive software.

Since day one that I got the new system, I have had some major issues with the video / graphics board of some sort. It doesn't matter what I am doing with my system - working on art or just checking out my facebook page and the entire monitor screen goes crazy with tearing across the screen - I also have issues with frequent image jerking. When the screen locks up with the tearing, the only way out of it is by crashing the system by shutting the power down. This especially happens if I have my graphics set at True Color setting. Changing it to 16 bit High Color has cut back on the crashing to some degree.

NOTE: When I get screen tearing, nothing but blurred streaks show on screen and this is not temporary, but lasts until I power down and restart system.

I first tried to see if our son might have some ideas which just got him very upset with me (Ego issue over his work and my implying he did something wrong which in his world doesn't happen) So I gave up on that and have just limped along as best as I can with the situation.

My monitor is a wide screen HW223 1080 P made by Hanns-G  ( It is not a bad monitor as I have had the same issues with other monitors on system)

I have also installed updated drivers and the Catalyst Control Center but to no avail.  My last update was just over a week ago and problem remains.

SPECS:  Processor - AMD FX 8350 Eight Core Processor

MEM:     16365 MB

MOTHER BOARD:  GA-990FXA-UD5

VIDEO ADAPTER:  AMD RADEON hd 7700 Series

OS:  MS Windows 7 Professional (64bit) with Service Pack 1

RESOLUTION SETTINGS:  1680 x 1050  and screen refresh rate is 60 Hertz

Like I stated above, the tearing crash primarily happens if set to True Color so I usuallyu have to resort to using High Color setting to cut back on crashes, but this can cause some issues with many of the Graphics programs I use on a daily basis. I have played with the numerous settings in the Catalyst Control Center, but this has not helped at all.

Bottom line is I need to know if anyone else has run into this issue and if so, is there a fix. Oh and just for the record, normally I can usually fix my own issues as I have been working with computers since early 80's and was prior to my retirement our Govt agencies in house IT guy. Wanted to mention this as I am not a noob when it comes to computers, but I learned a long time ago, that in some areas there are always many smarter people than myself who frequently have answers to issues I am clueless on. (Being retired for over 10 years, I also have not been able to keep up to date on lots of changes in systems and video cards like I used to. )

Any Suggestions, tips, tricks or ideas greatly appreciated. I have considered there is just a fault in the video board itself that has been there since the board was made.

Thanks

Bruce   aka  goshtac

Edited: 02/21/2014 at 10:49 AM by goshtac
 03/15/2014 03:54 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Silverforte
Peon

I'm having issues with this card as well. It doesn't seem like AMD has the best track record with forum support. I can't find any solutions anywhere.

Statistics
84740 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.