Topic Title: Interpolation change?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/06/2014 03:25 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/06/2014 03:25 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
IwantKropotkin
Peon

So, I've just moved from a laptop with an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 graphics card to a desktop computer with an AMD Radeon HD 7700 graphics card. Both run Windows 7 64bits.

My problem is: Whenever I go full-screen with a game whose resolution is inferior to that of my 1920x1080 screen (which is the case most of the time), I get a slightly blurred output.

Technically, that blur is not a "problem" in any way; it's just how the graphics card handles upscaling.

The thing is: I don't want that blur to be there. My laptop always had a perfectly crisp output, which I favor over the blurred on.

I might be saying something stupid, but I believe my latop's GC uses point sampling whereas my new computer's GC uses bilinear interpolation - hence the blur.

That blur doesn't have a negative impact on the visuals of modern games, but it certainly does on games with a 640x480 resolution for instance.

Is it possible to manage the way my GC upscales stuff? And if it is, how?

Thanks!

03/07/2014 05:16 PM

Author Icon
Thanny
Alpha Geek

I very much doubt there's any way to change it.  Your laptop may have used a dedicated scaler for its display.  If your monitor has its own scaler built in, it may produce results that you prefer.

When it comes to the GPU, however, I believe you're stuck with just the one algorithm.  Just be glad you're using AMD, as nVidia GPU scaling adds much more of a blur to the edges.

You also really wouldn't want nearest neighbor scaling, as it looks atrocious when the smaller resolution is not an exact multiple of the native resolution (which it never will be with the 16:9 infestation that the computer display market is suffering under).

03/07/2014 05:33 PM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

You sure it's not due to scaling to full panel size and not maintaining aspect ratio?

-------------------------
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 03/08/2014 09:56 AM

Author Icon
IwantKropotkin
Peon

Thanks for your reponses!

I don't know much about hardware, so I can't really see what you mean by my monitor having a "built-in scaler". Could you please elaborate on that? If that's of any help, my screen is an Iiyama ProLite X2377HS.

Also, I never really got any ugly results with my laptop, even when the smaller resolution wasn't an exact multiple of the native resolution. Well, at least it was better than the blur, that's for sure. This is an example of what I'd get with my laptop, which looks quite all right.

Also, regarding aspect ratio, I don't think that's the problem. I actually had an issue with that just before as full-screen output would also stretch to full panel, but I could get rid of that by fiddling with the GPU scaling in the AMD VISION Engine Control Center.

03/08/2014 08:23 PM

Author Icon
Thanny
Alpha Geek

Your monitor does have a built-in scaler, which you'd use if you disabled GPU scaling.

However, you didn't say how you're were connecting to the monitor, which leaves open the possiblity that you're using HDMI and consequently dealing with overscan issues.

What kind of cable are you using?

03/08/2014 09:33 PM

Author Icon
Vegan
Elite

what game?

I own tons of games and I run a wildly popular PC gaming site

-------------------------

03/09/2014 08:56 AM

Author Icon
IwantKropotkin
Peon

The thing is, if I disable GPU scaling, then the aspect ratio problem comes back.

Also, my cable isn't HDMI, so I don't think that's the issue.

03/09/2014 11:15 PM

Author Icon
Thanny
Alpha Geek

If you disable GPU scaling, you're using your monitor's built-in scaling.  On the monitor OSD menu, off of Display, the top item should have two options - Full and Aspect.  You have it set to Full, and want it set to Aspect.

Statistics
84905 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 4 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.