Topic Title: Bsod/rsod/sudden shutdowns
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/13/2014 12:08 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/13/2014 12:08 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Neonhell
Peon

Edit: Yes. I`ve tried the list on sticky post, except trying one and one component in another sstem as i dont have one available.

I`ve had my computer for about a year, and it randomly gives me the finger and suddenly shuts down, gives me a bsod or if its in a really bad mood it also gives me the rsod just to make its point..   There is several issues...   Some leans towards graphic card, some towards psu,  or maybe mainboard.. ... something causes it and atm i am wondering what i should do to further find the problem.

1: Randomly shuts down..  Happens without ANY warning at all, no dumpfile to explain the issue, temp is fine, no OC on any components at all. 
When it shuts down i have to turn off the mainswitch on the PSU before i am able to boot it up again.  It has nothing to do with what i am doing, or partially. BSOD/RSOD happens mainly when gaming and the random shutdowns happens both while gaming or idling even in windows. BSOD/RSOD can also happen while simply watching a movie.

2: If i try to use Asus Optimalization in Bios it gets worse, if i try to run High performance in windows Power Options it gets worse (all above errors)   I cant tweak my computer an inch in any direction before it goes highwire and even more unstable.

3: I get BSOD, this giving me a dumpfile wich says it is a (well known)  GPU driver issue  (atikmdag.sys error)

4: Random RSOD`s, not as often, but they happen plenty as well.

5: From time to time the screen turns off ( as if its told by windows to go into sleep mode ) and then goes back on again after a few seconds.  This only happens when in windows or never while being in any fullscreen application or game.

I have tried this over 3 different windows over the last year, windows 7 Pro, Windows 8 Pro and windows 8.1 Pro ( All fresh rignal install, not upgrades)  

Bios is fully up to date with all drivers, same has the diferent windows been, and the drivers for other products as graphic cards and so on.   Have also stripped out the graphic driver from the CCC and sorted the overscan/underscan via registry. (Also sweeping drivers etc, if i try several different on the same windows install)  Tried going several versions back on the graphic drivers on all 3 different windows as well, no difference on stability or my issues.

My RAM is also tested with Memtest for days togheter and individually for a day each as well, came out all fine.

Atm doing anything on this computer is a lottery   Playing a map of Bf4, WoW, watching a movie and so on... 

I`ve browsed so many forums that i am about to give up and throw it out the window, but decided to check if this forum for what i should do.

Is there a way i can check these issues in some ways myself?  I am far from a computer genius so any helps or hints on to what this might be would be nice.  

As far as i see the BSOD/RSOD could point towards graphic card, the shutdown could be alot of things, also the PSU.. and that is why i am asking.  Could it be more then one faulty part?

Infront, thanx for any help i can get on this issue as i am stuck on what to do. this is my first post here, so be gentle

Adding 4 last Whocrashed/dump reports:

On Sun 09.03.2014 20:26:12 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\030914-16703-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: atikmdag.sys (atikmdag+0x757E0)
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF80001D4F7E0, 0xFFFFD000244295A0, 0x0)
Error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\atikmdag.sys
product: ATI Radeon Family
company: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
description: ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: atikmdag.sys (ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.).
Google query: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

On Fri 07.03.2014 22:57:28 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\030814-16531-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: atikmdag.sys (atikmdag+0xC483B)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000007E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF80001D8D83B, 0xFFFFD00022A5F178, 0xFFFFD00022A5E980)
Error: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
Bug check description: This indicates that a system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: atikmdag.sys (ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.).
Google query: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M

On Thu 06.03.2014 00:50:24 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\030614-18937-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: atikmdag.sys (atikmdag+0x11C630)
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF80001D4A630, 0xFFFFD0002467B5B0, 0x0)
Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.

On Tue 25.02.2014 20:49:36 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\022514-17171-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: atikmdag.sys (atikmdag+0x11C630)
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF80001DC9630, 0xFFFFD00026D205B0, 0x0)

-------------------------

Asus P9x79 socket-2011

Intel i7 3820

16Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz

XFX Radeon 7970 GHz XT2 1050MHz

Corsair HX850 Gold

Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit

Edited: 03/13/2014 at 08:19 AM by Neonhell
 05/01/2014 05:31 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
balancemaker
Peon

i have the same problem with the couple driver atikmpag.sys (atikmdag). i was playing the game DIRT 2 and had this BSOD. FINALLY i install the whole windows 8.1 and CCC 13.1 don´t want to install, tried EXPAND the originals atikmpag.sy_ and dag.sy_ , copied the new sys files to the win system drivers etc... it simply didn´t work... installed just the windows auto drivers, didn´t work... old CCCs... didn´t work.

Ps: NEON google for atikmpag.sys and do the resolution i did above. maybe it works for you... my card is HD4850 512mb

thanks for any help!

Statistics
84740 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.