Topic Title: Single wide and double wide pci bracket dimensions
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/16/2014 11:14 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/16/2014 11:14 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Risto Kantonen
Peon

Hi,

I checked your system building FAQ, tried using documentationg search and read the forum stickies, but i couldn't find documentation or a mechanical drawing that would provide me the dimensions for the PCI brackets that you use in your Radeon products. So i was wondering if you'd be willing to provide me a mechanical drawing?

Here's a high resolution reference picture: http://images.anandtech.com/doci/7457/AMDRad_R9_290X_FlatAngle_RGB_24in.jpg

I need these dimensions so that i can order a matching part from local manufacturer. I would then use that with mockups of the motherboard tray and backpanel parts of my custom chassis design to check that the apertures, fit, match and align properly.

With kind regards,

Risto

03/17/2014 05:32 AM

Author Icon
Thanny
Alpha Geek

Expansion card brackets haven't changed in decades.  If you measure one, you've measured them all.

A single slot bracket is 18.6mm wide in the center and 120mm long.  The tip is 10mm wide, and about 7mm long before the bevel.

There are 0.8 inches between slots on the motherboard.  Given an 18.6mm width and 20.3mm slot spacing, you get 38.9mm for the width of two merged brackets together.

Here's a diagram I found with a quick search showing the single slot.  You can also easily find the ATX specifications for slot spacing.

03/19/2014 07:32 AM

Author Icon
Risto Kantonen
Peon

I'm sorry, but that one is missing a lot of dimensions if we compare to the mechanical drawings found on page 190 of PCI Local Bus Specification Revision 3.0 documentation, take a look, but the problem with those is that they don't seem to match with the one's used in today's add in cards, at least i haven't seen one like that.

In any case, i thank you for your attempt to help me. I guess i'll have to design and use a custom bracket; which is annoying, because doing so will most certainly render the back panel and motherboard tray features incompatible with the default brackets.

With kind regards,

Risto

03/19/2014 08:51 AM

Author Icon
Vegan
Alpha Geek

The bracket has been standard since the original PC, all the new slots still fit the chassis (at least since ATX changed the motherboard size)

Slot interfaces have changed over time, but PCI Express has lasted 10 years now without bottlenecking too badly.

-------------------------

03/21/2014 11:58 AM

Author Icon
Thanny
Alpha Geek

I think you've quite missed the point.  Slot brackets have not changed in literally decades.  The bracket on an old ISA card will fit into the same case as a bracket on a new PCIe card.

If you're looking for a model of what is guaranteed to fit the card's bracket, then pick any random ATX case (or AT case, for that matter), and measure to your heart's content.

Statistics
87466 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 6 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.