Topic Title: sapphire r9 280x dual x OC UEFI(battlefield edition) black screen crashes
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/24/2014 07:36 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/24/2014 07:36 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
xartemporas
Peon

Hello. I bought this card about a month ago. and i am a little frustrated. I have black screen crashes sometimes when gpu is on full load. When I use furmark program to test the card, and then try to open gpu-z program just to monitor temps, my system crashes, and then black screen of death. All i can do is hard reset.. Also i can see from another gpu monitoring tool that when gpu is on full stress . core clock goes from 870 to 1020 and backwards randomly..It doesnt stay at 1020 as it should. I also have this black screen of death(sound remaining in the background, system crash and freeze , screen goes black and stays there until I hard reset) in 3 games that I play, too(during gameplay when gpu is on full stress). Assassin's creed liberation HD, Red Faction Armageddon and Call of Duty Ghosts till now.. It happens randomly.(with legacy and uefi bios , same problem) Maybe in 5 minutes..maybe in 2 hours.. . r9 280x was quite expensive for me but i finally got it..but i have these problems :/ I have tried with all drivers from 13.12 to 14.3, final and beta. I have also tested the card with two different psus. this xfx(new 750w) and thermaltake( 550w)...

I have already registered my product and created a ticket to sapphire support site, they told me to contact reseller for hardware checking/applying RMA.
System Info:
CPU: Intel Core i5 750 2.67ghz
Mainboard: Asus P7P55D (Newest Bios 2101)
Ram: 2 x Kingston 2GB 1333mhz (Dual)
GPU: AMD R9 280X Sapphire Dual-X
Power Supply: XFX XTR 750Watt

Edited: 03/26/2014 at 05:22 PM by xartemporas
 03/24/2014 09:44 PM

Author Icon
-rascal-
Farming Materials

Well...you don't need GPU-Z to monitor the temperatures while running Furmark. Furmark has that ability built-in.

Before you fire up Furmark, manually set the fan speed to 50% or 60% (or whatever you wish), so you can, hopefully, see the temperatures rise...and if it is overheating, when running Furmark.

You may have gotten a defective card (poorly mounted GPU cooler, maybe). I have a Dual-X HD 7970 (essentially a R9-280X) and it works quite nicely.

-------------------------

Phenom II X6 1090T @ 4.1GHz FX-8350 @ 4.8GHz // ASUS Crosshair V Formula 990FX // Sapphire Radeon HD Dual-X 7970 @ 1150/1500 // Thermaltake Frio w/ push-pull (using Antec Formula 7 Nano-Diamond + Cooler Master JetFlo fans) // 8GB (2 X 4GB) G.Skill RipJawsX 2133MHz  // Corsair TX850 850W // Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD (OS) // Kingston V200+ 120GB SSD // WD Caviar Black 1TB // Windows 7 Ult x64

03/25/2014 12:26 PM

Author Icon
xartemporas
Peon

I know that I dont need gpu-z.. I do it just for testing. And in this case, my system freezes with black screen(exactly the same as it happens in games) , and it shouldn't. Also I have black screens in the games I mentioned(and maybe I will have this issue and in another game that I like in the future). I have tried with differenet fan speeds, vddc adjustment(+, -) Stock clocks, underclocked. everything. It is exactly the same. And it isnt about temperatures, my card is not overheating at all. max degrees I saw with furmark is 72. And thats for the core because vrm sensors dont exist anymore(bad thing..I start to understand why.....)..My card loses its power for some reason, for sure it is defected. Unfortunately R9 series made by cheaper parts..  I wish I have bought an older 7970ghz... anyway I sent to sapphire my problems twice and I insisted, and they told me "sorry for the incovinience, get the card to your store for rma". I wish i will get another full working and nice card.. ALthough I am not sure If my new card(if they finally send me another) will work fine..Some people did rma and got defective cards two and three times.. sorry but, AMD did not do a good job with these series..There are many people with similar problems unfortunately...r9 290, and 290x also have many problems.(and most problems are with elpida memories..It is not pot luck , these chips are not so good..)

customer reviews say the truth(at least for my card): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202061

03/25/2014 10:00 PM

Author Icon
-rascal-
Farming Materials

VRM sensors don't exist? I'm pretty sure they still do...

If I'm not mistaken, in GPU-Z, there are two temperature readings labelled as "VRM Temperature 1" and "VRM Temperature 2." People are able to see these on their R9-280X, R9-290, and R9-290X...

http://i.imgur.com/GuPF7l3.png

http://cdn.overclock.net/c/c5/1000x2000px-LL-c5311a9c_newtemps.PNG

http://cdn.overclock.net/0/09/500x1000px-LL-0935c311_Screenshot_6.jpeg

What version of GPU-Z are you using?

You can also give HWMonitor and/or AIDA64 Extreme Edition a try as well.

If your R9-280X is still under warranty from the retailer, then you can do the RMA from them, and you don't need to do it directly with Sapphire.

You can't blame everything on AMD. They are only in charge of making the GPU core (the main chip under the heatsink). The PCB (Printed circuit Board), VRAM chips, VRM components, capacitors, electrical componenets, etc is all up to the manufacturers (Sapphire, ASUS, MSi, etc).

I do have to say though, the user reviews for that R9-280X OC doesn't seem to be good...a lot of DOA.

-------------------------

Phenom II X6 1090T @ 4.1GHz FX-8350 @ 4.8GHz // ASUS Crosshair V Formula 990FX // Sapphire Radeon HD Dual-X 7970 @ 1150/1500 // Thermaltake Frio w/ push-pull (using Antec Formula 7 Nano-Diamond + Cooler Master JetFlo fans) // 8GB (2 X 4GB) G.Skill RipJawsX 2133MHz  // Corsair TX850 850W // Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD (OS) // Kingston V200+ 120GB SSD // WD Caviar Black 1TB // Windows 7 Ult x64

03/26/2014 06:41 AM

Author Icon
xartemporas
Peon

Originally posted by: -rascal- VRM sensors don't exist? I'm pretty sure they still do...

If I'm not mistaken, in GPU-Z, there are two temperature readings labelled as "VRM Temperature 1" and "VRM Temperature 2." People are able to see these on their R9-280X, R9-290, and R9-290X...

http://i.imgur.com/GuPF7l3.png

http://cdn.overclock.net/c/c5/1000x2000px-LL-c5311a9c_newtemps.PNG

http://cdn.overclock.net/0/09/500x1000px-LL-0935c311_Screenshot_6.jpeg

What version of GPU-Z are you using?

You can also give HWMonitor and/or AIDA64 Extreme Edition a try as well.

If your R9-280X is still under warranty from the retailer, then you can do the RMA from them, and you don't need to do it directly with Sapphire.

You can't blame everything on AMD. They are only in charge of making the GPU core (the main chip under the heatsink). The PCB (Printed circuit Board), VRAM chips, VRM components, capacitors, electrical componenets, etc is all up to the manufacturers (Sapphire, ASUS, MSi, etc).

I do have to say though, the user reviews for that R9-280X OC doesn't seem to be good...a lot of DOA.

Yes a lot of DOA..Unfortunately I didn't search so well before buying this card. And that's because my previous 7950 sapphire, was running just fine for 2 years.

As about VRM sensors they dont exist in my card. I use latest version of gpu-z, hw monitor and aida 64. I used all of them with my previous card and I could see the VRM temps. It had another sensor on it(chlxx something , sorry i dont remember exactly) and now (according to hw monitor and aida  64) this card has some ATI diode with no specific name. So no vrm sensor, only for the core, and I cannot monitor vrm temps...

Most of these cards come with elpida memory chips, and a lot of people(miners, too) complain about overheating/throttling.. hynix chips seems to be better. 

And yes you are right, it is mostly like sapphire fault, than amd's and i was expecting something better. I always choose sapphire and amd from 4xxx series , and it is my first bad experience. Ok these things can happen, but if you search more through the net, you will see that many people have similar problems with these series.

290/290x also.. you can look here: http://www.overclock.net/t/1441349/290-290x-black-screen-poll

Edited: 03/26/2014 at 06:52 AM by xartemporas
Statistics
85319 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.